The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WI / IL area track days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Mostly set and ready to roll to RA for the NWSC weekend. We’re only doing Saturday so it’s a day trip for us. Hope to see some of the others up there, first group outing on the freshly installed track asphalt !! Hopefully we’ll be in the west paddock, south end near the new building (restrooms, heated) Stop by and say hi, will be nice to see ya !!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Mostly set and ready to roll to RA for the NWSC weekend. We’re only doing Saturday so it’s a day trip for us. Hope to see some of the others up there, first group outing on the freshly installed track asphalt !! Hopefully we’ll be in the west paddock, south end near the new building (restrooms, heated) Stop by and say hi, will be nice to see ya !!
Looking forward to hearing how the new surface is - my 1 time there last year I was not a fan of the "drop" after the crest of the hill under Corvette bridge haha.

@dragoon @Kona.coyote5.0 @Vettel-ish for you guys who've done Autobahn before and/or a LAPS event, I'd like an instructor for the first half of the day bc it'll be my first time there but don't want to be stuck in a true beginner group. Any input appreciated! The beginner / novice groupings at BFR's own track days (for example) can be an absolute crap shoot - was stuck with a crown vic in my group at 1 event that held up everyone every 3rd lap.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Looking forward to hearing how the new surface is - my 1 time there last year I was not a fan of the "drop" after the crest of the hill under Corvette bridge haha.

@dragoon @Kona.coyote5.0 @Vettel-ish for you guys who've done Autobahn before and/or a LAPS event, I'd like an instructor for the first half of the day bc it'll be my first time there but don't want to be stuck in a true beginner group. Any input appreciated! The beginner / novice groupings at BFR's own track days (for example) can be an absolute crap shoot - was stuck with a crown vic in my group at 1 event that held up everyone every 3rd lap.

Have not done anything with Laps however blackhawk is a tough track to go fast on. THat being said unless your in a Advanved group a good driver should have no issues being mid pack.

I would recommend that. If it was like your first ever track day then go beginner.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin

At Autobahn, you’ll need to let them (LAPS is run by Shawn) know at sign up / registration before you pay that you require an instructor which will cost you, they charge ahead of time so there’s one there that day just for you. Most likely you will be placed in the novice/beginner run group for the day but could move up depending on instructor’s recommendation on how you’re doing. Back in 2018 the instructor fee was $75.00. If you never been to Autobahn, you’ll want the instructor for the whole day, helped me immensely. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Ok, first impressions of new surface at RA. We were there with NWSC on Saturday, April 22. The weather was cloudy, strong west wind and cold. It didn’t get much above 40*. First group outing on new asphalt, smoother than a billiard table. I was on the Falken RT660 tires, cold pressure of 29 psi. They changed the blend line which is now fantastically easy to adhere to. Mike, RA safety director, said they haven’t had a lot of warm weather to release the oils in the new asphalt so use caution plus no rubber has been laid down. I did 4 stints total and got the tires warm enough to feel pretty comfortable out there ( on track psi of 34 ) while using abundant caution as a couple cars did slide off, turn 6 and turn 8 during the morning stints. Couple blown motors caused 1/2 hour delays while the safety crew cleaned up. RA is using a white compound as oil dry. After power broom removal, it still billowed up white dust because one of the cars laid down oil on the line coming into turn 12. Another was on the front straightaway after start/ finish line. That car went to the inside near the barrier so at least that was off line. You can see it here at the tower cam. https://www.roadamerica.com/post/live-camera-feeds
Since this was the first time the mach1 was at RA, I felt that I pushed the car maybe 75% as the cold temps and new surface and first time there with new car was a concern not to push too much. @Vettel-ish may have pushed more than me ? We’ll see if he rings in here. All in all, after the pro racers do their thing along with other track day events putting rubber down, RA is going to be AWESOME later in the season, maybe August or September.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
World famous race track with a brand new race surface. What is not to love....besides the Wisconsin weather in April.

The surface is soooooo smooth and for some reason the track felt HUGE. When tracking out it felt you had miles to go, it was odd. However it was not till about 3rd session before it was starting get some grip and laydown rubber. Over 100 cars running Sunday and most with slicks. After that the grip level was getting better. Mark is right. We need 70's and that track will be one of the best in the world.

Back May 6/7 anyone running?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
World famous race track with a brand new race surface. What is not to love....besides the Wisconsin weather in April.
Back May 6/7 anyone running?
We’ll be there that weekend, both days. Hopefully the Wisconsin weather is a tad warmer in May ?? Less than 2 weeks away !! I’m pumped and maybe warm enough for the Cup 2’s, can only wish.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
The May 6th and 7th MVP outing at Road America looks very promising. A “stray” shower on Sunday is the only concern but that would be a short duration event anyway. ( hope I just didn’t jinx it damn it ) Hope to see the other forum members out there !!

IMG_0845.png

IMG_0846.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Hey all! I’m local to Chicagoland area. Will be joining in some events asap - I have 22 GT and opted out of pp1 so I need to upgrade to 6 pistons before I hit a track day. Managed to upgrade suspension, sway bars, and some power mods too. Will probably be looking for a group of people to join

edit: PFA

IMG_3283.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors