The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WI / IL area track days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Well today was my first event and let me tell ya… I will be returning as frequently as physically possible. I haven’t enjoyed something that much in a long time. Only got to do 2 of the 3 runs since there was an unfortunate event with a Bullitt on track (driver is ok).
Nitto’s are definitely the weak link in my build and in terms of temperatures - I wrapped the exhaust by the diff but did not change fluid. My clutch felt like it wasn’t enjoying the heat/abuse toward the end of the second run. My instructor had me staying in 3-4. But on the last straight I started noticing that I had to shift slower and slip into 4th gear more compared to early in my first session. Any clue what’s going on there? Is there a remedy?

Diff maybe touched 205. CHT 210 (maybe). And I felt like I was pushing it 7/10. Managed to start my day at 3:58 and down to 3:12 for the full course. Happy with the improvement but I know I can do a lot better

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well today was my first event and let me tell ya… I will be returning as frequently as physically possible. I haven’t enjoyed something that much in a long time. Only got to do 2 of the 3 runs since there was an unfortunate event with a Bullitt on track (driver is ok).
Nitto’s are definitely the weak link in my build and in terms of temperatures - I wrapped the exhaust by the diff but did not change fluid. My clutch felt like it wasn’t enjoying the heat/abuse toward the end of the second run. My instructor had me staying in 3-4. But on the last straight I started noticing that I had to shift slower and slip into 4th gear more compared to early in my first session. Any clue what’s going on there? Is there a remedy?

Diff maybe touched 205. CHT 210 (maybe). And I felt like I was pushing it 7/10. Managed to start my day at 3:58 and down to 3:12 for the full course. Happy with the improvement but I know I can do a lot better
You need a racing clutch. The stock Ford clutch is junk and it's killing your trans. I have an Exedy Hyper Single, a good racing clutch makes all the difference in the world. There are lots of good racing clutches for the Mustang. Be warned though, a racing clutch is a very different animal than a stock clutch, you will need to get used to it and adapt to its needs.
You may also need a trans rebuild from the sound of it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
It’s weird because the car shifts completely normal now. And it did after it cooled down for 30 minutes or so.
maybe a trans cooler?

Is your brake fluid and clutch fluid shared? The S197 cars have a kit the from Shelby that separates those. I have it and am running SRF in the clutch side too

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
maybe a trans cooler?

Is your brake fluid and clutch fluid shared? The S197 cars have a kit the from Shelby that separates those. I have it and am running SRF in the clutch side too
That’s what I’m thinking. I’m gonna change fluid to motul for next session too.

any one signing up for July 1st? And any one an instructor? Would love to have someone with a similar car give me some pointers. Had a ride along Z06 and Porsche driver this weekend - while deff helpful, I can only assume someone with a similar vehicle would be that much more helpful

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
July 1st - where ? Northwoods Shelby is at RA that weekend & we’ll be there on that Saturday, July 1st.

I signed up for Autobahn on July 1st. It was $120 with SCCA membership. But I might be down for a Road America trip instead - BUT it says advanced drivers only. I don't think I would qualify for that just yet.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I signed up for Autobahn on July 1st. It was $120 with SCCA membership. But I might be down for a Road America trip instead - BUT it says advanced drivers only. I don't think I would qualify for that just yet.
Advanced drivers are only allowed on Thursday. Friday thru Sunday has the regular run groups. NWSC increases the price after June 15th, so there is a very short window to get in at the lower price. Tight schedule for you since you’re at Autobahn on Saturday.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Fastest lap and almost crashed ...all in under 7 min!! lol

What caused you to push out so far? Just too fast, able to go faster than expected and missed turn point? I ask because I am going back to BF on Saturday and I feel I can pick up a bunch of time in that corner but don't want to have the same result you did.

Here's my fast lap from 2 weeks ago.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
jchady,

I believe the cause of the little agriculture racing was getting a tyre on the green stuff -- hit the grass hang onto your ass! No worries about your ass if you stay on the asphalt. We have all been there, just a bit wide and a tire off track and we slip slide away. Frankly, I thought he did not panic and had a pretty solid recovery.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Very smart Tony, RA is ALL about really good brakes and I would not even consider going there, myself , without new fluid, new pads, good rotors and plenty of clean underwear. With three spots on the track where you can reach close to 150mph or better ( depending on the car ) , brakes get an Ironman workout!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel