The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Widening Strut Tower Hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking to go to -3.5° up front (currently -3.0) and need another 1/3“ or so clearance to the inside. Don’t want to buy the cutting fixture, which will also entail me buying other tools, and want to do it quick and dirty if need be. I want to stress that I do NOT care about how it looks.

Dremel or saws-all? Any better way? Can it be done without removing the Vorshlag caster/camber plates and struts? And what about the controlling the debris?

Grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I bought the Steeda cutting tool for $60 and sold it for half off. Had several cuts in it left after two cuts. I didn’t want anything that required me to take off the struts. I just covered around the holes with a trash bag and had a vacuum to pick up the shavings.

if you really don’t care about looks I’ve seen some put a notch in the hole using a hackzall

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I can't see a dremel being very useful, that steel up there is pretty damn thick and hard, it's tough to imagine you'll get 1/3" like that. My experience with dremel bits is that they're not up to this kind of steel. Big heavy duty grinding wheel in a big heavy duty drill and you might be able to grid away clearance on the inside but it will be slow going. I can't see a Sawzall being useful at all. Did I mention how hard that steel is up there?
With the Vorshlag guide tool and a steel hole saw in a decent 1/2" drill it took me maybe 5 - 7 minutes of cutting per side, just don't force it. Not a big deal. You can likely sell the guide tool for what you paid for it. I covered the engine and as much stuff as I could with a blue poly tarp which worked pretty well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I made a jig out of an old upper strut mount and a piece of flat stock. I drilled a hole in the flat stock to fit the pilot drill on the hole saw and welded it to the old mount. It worked like a charm. I agree with JDEE the steal is pretty tough, but you could grind away at it.

The hole saw drilling fixture is about as easy and clean as it gets. Really all you need is drill with a 1/2" chuck, a hole saw of the appropriate size and the fixture. I ended up selling my S197 drill fixture for the same price I paid for it from Vorschlag.

IMG_7297.jpg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Anyone know how much more negative camber you can get doing this if you still have regular type struts? I'm guessing you can get more camber if you have coilovers with their smaller diameter springs. Just curious if its worth doing if you don't have coilovers.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I can get -4 with the Ford Racing struts, they're just an ordinary looking strut nothing special on the outside. I run -3.5 which seems to work well for both grip and even wear. I used to run staggered since at Mosport there's only 3 lefts (2, 4 and 9), but 2 of the lefts are banzai downhill fast corners and it seemed not worth the risk to give up any grip in them so I'm back to -3.5 on both sides.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I can get -4 with the Ford Racing struts, they're just an ordinary looking strut nothing special on the outside. I run -3.5 which seems to work well for both grip and even wear. I used to run staggered since at Mosport there's only 3 lefts (2, 4 and 9), but 2 of the lefts are banzai downhill fast corners and it seemed not worth the risk to give up any grip in them so I'm back to -3.5 on both sides.
Thanks for the reply JDee, I'll be cutting the holes once winter gives up its grip.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Vorshlag plates?
Edit to add: Nevermind. I saw your build page

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel