The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Will the new GT 350 Have Forged Internals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Like the Boss do you all think ford will give the 350 forged internals? Just curious I have not seen anything about it anywhere and if it has already been discussed please dismiss this thread.

thanks for looking.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
I'd be extremely surprised if it doesn't.

That's a nice way to put it.

Back when the '03 Mach 1's were coming out, I remember arguing with a Ford engineer about them putting a forged crank with the manual trans and a cast crank with the auto trans... ::) I like to think that Ford is done with that kind of b***ackward thinking and decision making.

With all the reported issues with a designing a large displacement FPC engine, I can't imagine forged internals being dropped or missing from the program.

Good deal, I am kind of hoping that they do go the forged route it really only makes sense especially if it is to be the flagship sports car for them why not make it the best it can be.

I had not seen anything about htis anywhere and thought maybe you all had heard something about it first hand.

Thanks for looking.

Brandon302 said:
Don't the new gt's have fully forged internals? I would think if they do the GT350 would also.
Good point. I'd be shocked if the GT350 doesn't have forged internals. My hope is that they have proper valve springs to handle the 8,200+ redline and above for those that want to rev it higher.

NFSBOSS said:
Good point. I'd be shocked if the GT350 doesn't have forged internals. My hope is that they have proper valve springs to handle the 8,200+ redline and above for those that want to rev it higher.

Along with other proper items, ie. clutch. Still gets me that Ford cheaped out on the Boss getting a pissy clutch.

Brandon302 said:
http://imgur.com/a/JZRC0

Some interesting details

Twin plate clutch (which I think was expected)

Unique exhaust manifolds that appear to be coated and/or painted (and no catifold as in the GT)

Oil pan appears to be plastic and/or composite

EhX3xpJ_zpse67411b9.jpg

Grant 302

Yeah, really didn't expect a composite pan. Not sure if that's a good thing for removing the engine out the top. I don't think I've ever installed an engine without *some* contact with the pan.

But I think the headers won't be coated. All of the cutaway/display engines in the past had painted headers, which were bare stainless in production.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks like they really cut down the cross-section of the piston skirts on this engine as well; probably helps both rotating mass reduction as well as overall friction surface reduction for those high revs!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
For all the piston squirter nay sayers...

The main reason that was eliminated in the BOSS was to keep oil pressure up for high RPMs, keeping a layer of lubrication at all times between the crank journals & rod bearings. Ford must have found a better way to do that in this engine, or maybe the crank journal loadings are different with the FPC such that oil pressure can be maintained at that RPM even with the additional oil outlets (squirters).

Grant 302

ArizonaBOSS said:
The main reason that was eliminated in the BOSS was to keep oil pressure up for high RPMs, keeping a layer of lubrication at all times between the crank journals & rod bearings. Ford must have found a better way to do that in this engine, or maybe the crank journal loadings are different with the FPC such that oil pressure can be maintained at that RPM even with the additional oil outlets (squirters).

Well we've heard all sorts of unofficial answers parroted on the interwebs, and I suspect all have some amount truth to them. But the bottom line that I'm getting to, is that an engine is generally better off with them. And as you suggest, deleting them makes sense if there are oiling volume, pressure or capacity issues on the supply side. Many times HP and windage were cited as reasons, but I can't imagine those being practical barriers to including squirters on the Boss when it was done on the GTs with the only slightly lower rev limit.

I was predicting and hoping for their inclusion in this engine. It's been one of those minor things that I don't like about the Boss.

VTBoss302 said:
Some interesting details

Twin plate clutch (which I think was expected)

Unique exhaust manifolds that appear to be coated and/or painted (and no catifold as in the GT)

Oil pan appears to be plastic and/or composite

EhX3xpJ_zpse67411b9.jpg

The things they can do with composites today, probably makes baffling much better, though I feel like if they want the car to be truly something for the track it should be dry sump.

Brandon302 said:
The things they can do with composites today, probably makes baffling much better, though I feel like if they want the car to be truly something for the track it should be dry sump.

Dry sump should be standard

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel