The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Mods 2014/2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan on installing Ford Racing gauge pack M-6304GPACK-MA used on 2012 Laguna Seca & Ford Racing tubular bumper M-17757-MB on a 2012 Boss, but mine did not come with instructions or templates. Anyone who has made these mods can direct me where to get instructions or templates and offer any helpful suggestions. Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Black Boss said:
Have a collection of upgrades in the Basement:

Kooks Long Tube headers (1 7/8") plus Off Road H Pipe
Solid Engine Mounts
Stainless Clutch line

Plan on ordering the Cortex Watts link - will talk to them and Rehagen re weld v's bolt in
Will likely upgrade the Engine Harness -- threw a couple of camshaft position sensor codes during idle at my last track day, but no limp mode yet or codes during hot laps.

Do yourself a favor and replace the VCT solenoids and pigtails with the 2013 version before you drop $1K+ on the PRS harness. $125ish for new solenoids plus the connectors, you install em and splice into the existing harness. Cured my VCT error issues; engineer at Ford confirmed the 2013 versions will last MUCH longer than the 2012 versions.

Stoptech Trophy front brake kit, 315s on all four corners, adj rear sway bar to compensate for going square and replacement FRPP front hubs for peace of mind after two seasons on them.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Do yourself a favor and replace the VCT solenoids and pigtails with the 2013 version before you drop $1K+ on the PRS harness. $125ish for new solenoids plus the connectors, you install em and splice into the existing harness. Cured my VCT error issues; engineer at Ford confirmed the 2013 versions will last MUCH longer than the 2012 versions.

By splice in the connectors do you mean cut the factory wiring harness and solder in the new connectors or do you re-pin the harness using the new connectors?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
2012-Boss said:
By splice in the connectors do you mean cut the factory wiring harness and solder in the new connectors or do you re-pin the harness using the new connectors?

Cut and solder.

Transmission rebuild
Mcleod RXT clutch with aluminum flywheel
aluminum DS
KW V3 coil overs
LCAs and Ford racing relo brackets
Cortex watts link
DIY oil cooler
Steeda motor mounts
ARP wheel studs
Ford racing hubs
Rebuild the MGW
Maybe back seat delete

Think I got everything.

Swiss Boss said:
Oil cooler and Cortex watts link
MM K-member if finance are OK
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1038818-Maximum-Motorsports-S197-K-Member

I hope your finances work out. You won't be disappointed!

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Swiss Boss said:
Oil cooler and Cortex watts link
MM K-member if finance are OK
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1038818-Maximum-Motorsports-S197-K-Member

I'm looking at the MM K-member too. However it appears that the cross brace uses a different mounting to the k-member versus stock, which will not allow us to retain the transmission air scoop.

I've asked MM if they have any plans to provision for this........

ArizonaBOSS said:
Smilie, who are you going with for the trans rebuild? Rev Auto? Ben Calimer?

Looking at either liberty gear near detroit cause they are closer and right near by Rehagen racing where the car is going for it's watts link or Ben. They are both fairly close so I can ship the trans myself in the back of the P5.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Smilieboy said:
Looking at either liberty gear near detroit cause they are closer and right near by Rehagen racing where the car is going for it's watts link or Ben. They are both fairly close so I can ship the trans myself in the back of the P5.
Rehagen will not disappoint.

Well considering it looks like the engine decided to eat it's self my original plans are on hold for now. So as of now it looks like my winter plan is to build an engine. Right now I am thinking about

RGR 3.700 Bore Block (maybe 12:1 compression)
Stock Boss heads
Oliver Ultralightweight rods
ARP hardware throughout
Comp Stage 3 Cams
Moroso Race Oil Pan
Cobra Jet Intake
Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body
FRPP Intake Tube
Kooks 1 7/8ths LT's or the Kooks Super Street Headers
JPC lightweight phasers
TSS Billet Oil Pump Gears
MMR Billet Crankshaft Sprocket
Either new wiring harness or send it out to redone
New Timing components
New Crankshaft Position Sensor
New VCT Sensors
Some sort of clutch
Either Aluminium or lightened steel flywheel
Injectors as well

Wishlist
RGR Stage 2 heads
JPC Custom grind cams
DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

NFSBOSS said:
Ok the track and car show season is winding down and it's time to start thinking about mods for next season. What do you have planned for this winter? New wheels and tires, engine, suspension, stereo upgrade?

post-12487-0-48368600-1321622871.jpg

I hope this picture was from last year haha.

steveespo said:
JRi Coil overs. MM is carrying them now. Hope we can put together a group buy from Filip. Also thinking full cage but budget may dictate
Will be doing gut out for weight.
Steve

Noooooooooo wait until the summer to do that. I always miss out on all the good group buys :(

ArizonaBOSS said:

Do you have any more information on this? It certainly would save me a nice sum of money and I could certainly use that right about now ;D

I probably won't be doing anything to the Boss over the winter. If I get bored, I may install a Laguna Seca splitter that's been sitting in my garage.

Most of my time will go towards working on this scrap heap. Sometimes I feel like I enjoy modding my cars over winter, more than I enjoy actual car season.
2014-10-23%2009.02.17.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sean said:
Do you have any more information on this? It certainly would save me a nice sum of money and I could certainly use that right about now ;D

Not really, I could look up the PNs later this week, though. Really it's just the 2013 BOSS hardware for the VCT solenoids and the wiring pigtails that go with them. 4 solenoids, 4 pigtails. Take off the valve covers and unbolt the existing solenoids, new ones bolt directly back in. Replace valve covers. Cut the existing wiring harness connections and solder in the new ones.

2011-2012 versions of the connectors turn into "tuning forks" at high RPM and vibrate themselves to death over time. 2013 versions tested to over 20x life extension of 2011-12 versions without any issues.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Drew
Why not repin the connectors? Can't source the new style pins and receptors?
Steve

The solenoid/harness ends are different shapes on the 11-12 vs. 13. Totally different connector.

I suppose you could replace the worn 11-12 stuff with OEM replacement stuff/repin, but it's just going to fail again. They said the 11-12 style were good for 20-25 hours of hard track use before they start to crap out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Drew
I meant put 13-14 style pins and connector on the 11-12 wires. I don't like cutting factory wires if I can avoid it.
Steve

Yeah, not compatible.
I was scared cutting the factory wires too but it was actually really simple.

NFSBOSS said:
Ok the track and car show season is winding down and it's time to start thinking about mods for next season. What do you have planned for this winter? New wheels and tires, engine, suspension, stereo upgrade?

post-12487-0-48368600-1321622871.jpg

Lots of stuff I want to do, but GT350 news could change that ;)

BTW, excellent picture choice :)

I like this one, too

SDBoss_zpsc0e0c62f.png

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel