The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Any thoughts on tires for this build
Food for thought - the dB meter at Road America is after turn 3 just past the cheese bridge on the left next to the flag station (turn 4). Their limit is usually 103 dB’s for us types.
Pretty sure I don't pass 😜

TX
Any thoughts on tires for this build

Pretty sure I don't pass 😜
Right now I'm going with whatever I can get cheapest! ha Picked these up off a local gent that races GTD in IMSA for$100 a tire

IMG_2759.jpeg

I also have a pair of worn A7s from @flyhalf that came on a set of wheels I bought from @flyhalf.

TX
True. Whenever I’m at Road America, I have yet to see someone being sent home early because of sound limits.
I didn't realize RA has sound limits. Should I bring an alternate muffler setup?

TX
Finished up the radiator ducting yesterday. Happy with how it came out! If this works, I'll make out of CF in the future.

IMG_2792.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg
Sealed up against the radiator with window sealing foam. I've used this the past with good success. don't worry, it doesn't melt

IMG_2796.jpeg

To secure, I added a couple bolts to my modified k member on the bottom and then a couple into the mount for the upper radiator. Nothing crazy. Just enough to hold it in place

IMG_2794.jpegIMG_2795.jpegIMG_2797.jpegIMG_2798.jpeg

So while this is definitely cobble-fab'd together, it only weights like 2 lbs and my previous experience with making ducting out of this thin AL shows that it works great. So traded a bit of "build" quality for some lightness. Hopefully a CF unit the future will be much higher quality

TX
Any feedback available on any impact on power (positive or negative) after those Ti mufflers??
the Ti mufflers are straight through, so absolutely no impact on power unless you're using restrictive mufflers already. They're basically a light weight way to muffle sound. even the big mufflers won't impact power. They're truly amazing.

Only downside outside of how hard they are to weld is that they don't take the same quantity of heat cycles like stainless. so they can crack after a few years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
the Ti mufflers are straight through, so absolutely no impact on power unless you're using restrictive mufflers already. They're basically a light weight way to muffle sound. even the big mufflers won't impact power. They're truly amazing.

Only downside outside of how hard they are to weld is that they don't take the same quantity of heat cycles like stainless. so they can crack after a few years
This design has been around forever, what's new is the material. Much much lighter.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Ducting looks nice. If you're worried about the thin sheet "oil canning" you can do a poor-man's bead roll by laying it on a sand bag, putting a wooden dowel on top, and hammering the dowel to create a bead. A little bit of curvature from a bead puts a good deal of stiffness into a large sheet.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I didn't realize RA has sound limits. Should I bring an alternate muffler setup?

They dont. My car is next level loud and I been there 3 times with it.
My bad, I misinterpreted a rule RA imposes on “their” track days that only allow street legal cars. I’m embarrassed to say something incorrectly as I value my credibility here. It’s rule #18 on attached photo.

IMG_1070.png

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors