The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just had a mini Cylinder #8 freakout.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Yeah, as much as I think it would be cool to rebuild an engine myself, even with all the education on the subject, doing it on something that I NEED to work the first time is nothing something I’m leaning towards.

I’ve spoken with my dad several times this week in regards to maybe helping with a rebuild. He’s 76 years old and was a mechanic for close to 40 years, a guy I know who could probably fix anything. If this was a pushrod motor, he’d probably do it in his sleep. But even he admitted he never rebuilt anything before like a DOHC V8 and felt a little intimidated in thinking about it.

I’m gonna speak to my tuner when the time comes and maybe asking if I can pull the motor out myself, bring it to him, let him do his thing on a rebuild and then picking up and putting it in myself to save on costs. I spoke with him a few days ago and asked how much labor it would be if I let him do everything and he said over $4k just about, and that’s just ballpark.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Wow 4k? On top of parts?
Since you are in Jersey I would get a quote for Phoenix Performance in PA or consider shops in MD like Revolution Automotive or JPC. Both well known in the community and have built motors for others on here. May be same cost but worth looking around

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Wow 4k? On top of parts?
Since you are in Jersey I would get a quote for Phoenix Performance in PA or consider shops in MD like Revolution Automotive or JPC. Both well known in the community and have built motors for others on here. May be same cost but worth looking around
That wasn’t just for the build. That was removal, build, and reinstall and retune. But good to keep in mind.

TMO Supporting Vendors