The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
IMG_2426.jpeg

S550 350R Street/track build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

2017 Gt350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is the Build Thread for 350R Street/track build. Reply below.
Hey everyone, been lurking for years, finally have the time to finish this build I started over 3 years ago. I bought the car in Sept 2017, did one track day with it and it has been sitting in my garage for 4 years, I decided to go full tilt street/track build about 3 years ago. I'm hoping to have the car done in 3 months.
I'm currently in San Antonio, the car is being built at Esses Racing in Austin/Buda area. Hope to have have the car running by early next year at COTA.

The car will be heading to 210 Performance this week for dyno tuning, fully built motor by MPR, FED headwork, PAC springs, ID 1050 injectors, L&M cams, JLT CAI, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, hoping to hit 600whp on e85. I'll post the dyno graphs next week, with some videos.

Suspension includes: MCS 2 ways, full SPL catalog , STEEDA road race K member, planning to add 18inch forgelines, slicks , and AP racing Radi CAL brakes front and rear.

This is quite an extensive build, I'll post the full mod list when i get a chance.

The goal is to run a 2:20 at COTA with plates, A/C, full interior, and custom sound system!!! This might be tougher than I expect.

There is a small chance I may enter Global Time Attack at COTA, but this car has been sitting for more than 5 years, so I definitely just need get the car back on the road course and some Hill Country roads before I chase lap times.

Once the car is back at Esses, will finish up the aero, corner balance, alignment, plan to do a shakedown at Harris Hill Raceway. After the car is dailed in, will then head to COTA with EDGE Addicts late this year, or Spring 2025.

Will do my best to keep everyone updated.

Thanks,

Bala

Last edited:
Hey everyone, been lurking for years, finally have the time to finish this build I started over 3 years ago. I bought the car in Sept 2017, did one track day with it and it has been sitting in my garage for 4 years, I decided to go full tilt street/track build about 3 years ago. I'm hoping to have the car done in 3 months.
I'm currently in San Antonio, the car is being built at Esses Racing in Austin/Buda area. Hope to have have the car running by early next year at COTA.

The car will be heading to 210 Performance this week for dyno tuning, fully built motor by MPR, FED headwork, PAC springs, ID 1050 injectors, L&M cams, JLT CAI, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, hoping to hit 600whp on e85. I'll post the dyno graphs next week, with some videos.

Suspension includes: MCS 2 ways, full SPL catalog , STEEDA road race K member, planning to add 18inch forgelines, slicks , and AP racing Radi CAL brakes front and rear.

This is quite an extensive build, I'll post the full mod list when i get a chance.

The goal is to run a 2:20 at COTA with plates, A/C, full interior, and custom sound system!!! This might be tougher than I expect.

There is a small chance I may enter Global Time Attack at COTA, but this car has been sitting for more than 5 years, so I definitely just need get the car back on the road course and some Hill Country roads before I chase lap times.

Once the car is back at Esses, will finish up the aero, corner balance, alignment, plan to do a shakedown at Harris Hill Raceway. After the car is dailed in, will then head to COTA with EDGE Addicts late this year, or Spring 2025.

Will do my best to keep everyone updated.

Thanks,

Bala
Nice! Tim built my motor too. Did you stick with the FPC? Will be curious about your power levels. I’m at 580 whp with a similar build (but custom intake with stock manifold) and a dry sump and electric water pump.

have you driven COTA much before? 2:20 is lofty. Should be doable tho. I ran a 2:21 flat with my car is Jan 2022 on racing slicks with the stock suspension and brakes.

Nice! Tim built my motor too. Did you stick with the FPC? Will be curious about your power levels. I’m at 580 whp with a similar build (but custom intake with stock manifold) and a dry sump and electric water pump.

have you driven COTA much before? 2:20 is lofty. Should be doable tho. I ran a 2:21 flat with my car is Jan 2022 on racing slicks with the stock suspension and brake
Hey Kevin,

I definitely wanted to give you props for really pushing the GT350 platform as an amateur racer/builder. I don't have the time or talent to do what you do. Keep up the strong work. Hopefully at some point i can get some videos up on the development journey of my car as well. It has been long painful and expensive, as you're well aware. I'm mostly a HPDE guy but really hoping to step up my game and possibly do wheel to wheel eventually. I'm using the 350R as a learning tool, once i feel confident , I plan to step up to a dedicated racing platform. That will be a few years out.

Tim from MPR made all the decisions on the bottom end , kept it FPC, hopefully it should hold up for about 30-40 hours. FED did a street port , upgraded to PAC springs and Ferrea valves, everything else was off the shelf, L&M cams, JLT intake, Soler TB, Kooks headers with cats, Borla exhaust. Hoping to have the car on the Dyno and done tuning by the end of August. 600whp on e85 is the goal, but using stock Intake manifold and keeping IMRC as this will be a street car, definitely want some drivability on the street, not really chasing max HP. Anything above 575 would be fine. I was thinking about dry sump, but this car will be tracked 3-4 times a year so might be a bit overkill.

Turner from SPL drove most of the decisions for the suspension and kinematics, ESSES did all the wrenching. Suspension is mostly done, will need some fine tuning with aero and slicks eventually, but this year I'll run the factory CF wheels and GY supercar 3R, for all the baseline development.

2:20 is lofty for sure at COTA, but we may just be able to squeeze it out with slicks, FP350s aero, AP brakes, and 575whp. If I cant get it done, we'll just a put in a pro driver and cheat!

Dyno tuning scheduled for 8/20 , I'll try to upload some pulls from the shop. Unfortunately due to plenty of real world commitment this project has mostly been on the back burner for the last 3 years, but will put in a serious effort this year to get some seat time once the car is done.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel