The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

3V Oil Cooler Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
I found a lot of oil cooler posts here for the 5.0 but looking specifically for experiences with 3v oil cooling. Last season I upgraded from a 19 row mishi oil cooler to Setrab 925. Just ran Thunderhill the other day and consistently saw oil temps settling between 235-240 with ambient temp around 90 degrees. According to the specs, this unit has a btu range of 42-60k at 300-400 hp, so I was hoping to keep temps closer to 220-225. I haven't ducted it yet, so maybe that's the missing link? Engine is bone stock with wet sump running a blend of Driven 5/20-5/30. I know the 5.0 guys run the 948 but that seems like overkill for a 300hp 3v. Hopefully someone here has this dialed in and can share their info. Thanks.

Your oil temps are fine. I wouldn't be worried until that start getting above 270. If you want lower temperatures, just box in you current cooler. It is a cheaper alternative to buying and installing a larger cooler. I would change the oil after every track weekend, especially with the low viscosity oil you are running.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Stockton, CA
Your oil temps are fine. I wouldn't be worried until that start getting above 270. If you want lower temperatures, just box in you current cooler. It is a cheaper alternative to buying and installing a larger cooler. I would change the oil after every track weekend, especially with the low viscosity oil you are running.
Yeah, I was thinking a boxed in shroud might get me to my target temps. And yup, oil is changed after every event along with cutting open the filter and sending an oil sample after every 3rd event to keep an eye on things. Thanks for the feedback.

TMO Supporting Vendors