The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Battery terminal connection identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US
Can someone please tell me what the 4 connections are to the positive terminal on the battery?
There is the main bracket, one on top of it, then 2 others connected to the 100 and 200 amp sides of the circuit breaker . what do each connect to ? I don't have a manual.

I accidentally cooked the 100 amp side while changing plugs. I started the car fine with it popped, the starter operated normally , car ran fine, but no power steering and had message that said to check advance track.

Replaced circuit breaker. Start car and the starter will not disengage . it won't start I think due to the starter not disengaging. Jist bump the key over and starter keeps on spinning on its own unless you turn key to off.

I suspect the solenoid is cooked. Just want to make sure before I go out and buy a new starter. I tried disconnecting both sides of battery for 5 min. No change.

Its odd that old cooked circuit breaker will start the car fine. Either solenoid is cooked or it isn't I would have thought. Wtf?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Well that helps a bunch. I had no power steering after I popped the 100 side of the fuse. All else was fine. New circuit breaker and this is happening now. Im gonna guess that the circuit breaker I got may not be right. I'll buy another at Ford tomorrow. Crazy how this is acting. I just bought a starter to have on hand just in case. This new circuit breaker reads 150 and 250 amps on it vs original being 100 and 200. Still should work I'd think. But its not

Well now the old one is doing the same thing as the new one. Won't disengage the starter unless key is in off position. Previously it started, just had no power steering. Ugh. Under the lift is not where I want this to be currently. c9af6c398aa50343a64d63abebe52524.jpg

Well I dropped car off at dealer .

I have taken a Mustang to a dealer one time for warranty work in my lifetime.....and they trashed my brand new light colored leather seat because the guy who does brake jobs all day sat in the seat with his filthy ass and didn't use a cover. I vowed to never use Ford service ever again.

Never needed to as im pretty handy with a wrench.

Til today.

I have replaced the circuit breaker on the battery, the starter and the ignition switch. Seemed to finally be fixed. Stated the car, drive the car forward and back. No problems. Buttoned everything up. Started to clear off my lift to get the car on it to change trans and diff fluid as im going to the track this weekend. (Gingerman)
Car, sitting in the driveway, no keys in it at all, STARTS CRANKING OVER! all by it self. Lucky for me, I left it in neutral and had ebrake on. That biznitch would have ended up in my pond or in a ditch. Could have been on my lift !!! WTF?? At that point, she was on my trailer and off to the Ford dealer. Im not risking anyone's safety etc. At this point, if the battery is connected, the starter is cranking. With or with out keys and even with the main power to the starter removed !!!! If both wires to the circuit breaker on the side of the battery are disconnected, it still cranks itself over. As I understand it, the 100 amp goes to the rack, the other is power to starter. I think the ecu is cooked. The dealer didnt agree with me but I said, you geniuses figure it out and I'll write the check. All this from accidentally bumping the positive post on the battery? Really? Crazy.

@Drlee50, what ended up being the problem?

I wasn't aware of this fuse. I just learned about it reading another post where someone else did the same thing as you. This has actually happened to me (accidentally touching the positive terminal on the battery with a wrench) but I seem to have gotten lucky. Just curious how bad this can be -- seems I really need to be disconnecting the battery when wrenching under the hood near the battery...

I found a couple other people who did this. One person said it killed their steering rack...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel