The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
1000003464.jpg

S550 Carol - 22 GT PP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

2022 GT PP1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally finished installing the upgraded suspension pieces this past weekend. Installed FP Track dampers paired with BMR Handling Springs as well as some Maximum Motorsports camber plates. Did everything in my garage on jack stands and took my time over the course of a few days. Brought it in for a performance alignment at a shop close by and went with -2.5 camber up front and -2 camber in the rear to start. Installed some Steeda IRS braces a couple weeks prior to this but haven't been able to test them with any sort of aggressive or track driving yet. I wish that I did some IRS subframe bracing while I was doing all this since I ended up having to loosen up the subframe anyways in order to get the stock rear springs out, but you live and you learn...

Was also able to finally procure some Goodyear Supercar 3 tires that have been out of stock everywhere for months. Was considering Hankook RS-4's but they don't make them in a 285 width and I can get a 25% discount on the Goodyear's via USAA. Tires were mounted on new Apex EC-7 19x10 wheels all around.

Will be testing it out at NJMP Thunderbolt on Labor day. Looking forward to seeing how the better suspension, camber, and wider square setup compares to the previously stock Performance Pack setup.

PXL_20240827_210753846.MP.jpg

PXL_20240824_153412190.MP.jpg

PXL_20240824_153601212.MP.jpg

PXL_20240823_232038593.MP.jpg

PXL_20240816_231807265.MP.jpg

Finally finished installing the upgraded suspension pieces this past weekend. Installed FP Track dampers paired with BMR Handling Springs as well as some Maximum Motorsports camber plates. Did everything in my garage on jack stands and took my time over the course of a few days. Brought it in for a performance alignment at a shop close by and went with -2.5 camber up front and -2 camber in the rear to start. Installed some Steeda IRS braces a couple weeks prior to this but haven't been able to test them with any sort of aggressive or track driving yet. I wish that I did some IRS subframe bracing while I was doing all this since I ended up having to loosen up the subframe anyways in order to get the stock rear springs out, but you live and you learn...

Was also able to finally procure some Goodyear Supercar 3 tires that have been out of stock everywhere for months. Was considering Hankook RS-4's but they don't make them in a 285 width and I can get a 25% discount on the Goodyear's via USAA. Tires were mounted on new Apex EC-7 19x10 wheels all around.

Will be testing it out at NJMP Thunderbolt on Labor day. Looking forward to seeing how the better suspension, camber, and wider square setup compares to the previously stock Performance Pack setup.

View attachment 98104

View attachment 98105

View attachment 98106

View attachment 98107

View attachment 98108
Nice !! Don’t forget your toe-in settings, front and rear. Have a great time at the track as Carol looks like she’ll take good care of you as long as you take good care of her. You have the brembo front 6 piston I see, so stock pads ? I’m using the Ford MR3Z-4001-C front pads and they work well for me. I get a season of 12 to 14 events out of a set of fronts and 2 seasons for the rear pads. Don’t forget also to remove your wheel center caps, they’re plastic and will melt with track duty, literally falling to the inside of center hole. Welcome to the forums !!

Thanks, Dragoon. Toe settings were set as well. Had no idea about the plastic center caps so thanks for that tip. I still have the stock pads and checked them out: well over 50% life left on them. I did flush out the stock brake fluid for some Castrol SRF.

Was just looking at your Mach 1 pics. She's a beauty.

Glad you found the " Perk " for USAA members on Goodyear tires. Nice the American Tire Manufacturer values Veterans and their families since one has to have that relationship to be a member. Essentially a program of buy 3 get one free, it makes the F1 Super 3 and 3Rs great for track tires! I have gotten truck and trailer tires under the same deal, so it can save one alot across the board.

Had my second ever track day this past Monday, and first track day at NJMP Thunderbolt. Definitely like this track more than Lightning. My instructor (shoutout Travis) was awesome. Super positive, confidence inspiring, and got even more excited than I did as the sessions improved. After watching some of the videos, I could tell he was begging me to carry more speed through turn 12 onto the final straight but I need to grow a bigger pair for that. I literally got a few seconds faster every single session, so I was very pleased with the day. The car felt much better with the mods I made and I had way way more confidence pushing it around turns than I did in my first ever session. (Buying insurance this time around also helps with that :) ). Travis volunteered to pace myself and a few other similarly timed guys in his BRZ for the final session, as a lot of people get tired out by then and leave so there was far less traffic, which was great. He runs 1:27's in his rig, which is unthinkable to me at the moment, but I ran my best time in those final laps (1:38). Definitely a lot of room for improvement, but I am satisfied with it being my first time on this track. I need to get better at keeping the car straight and under control under super heavy braking at the end of long straights and get better at trail braking when the turns call for it. I'm sure this comes with experience and maybe some better pads eventually. I did flush new Castrol SRF in before this track day and had no issues that I could notice as far as brake feel or fade.

As my times got faster, I did finally get some oil temperature warnings towards the end of the last couple of sessions. I thought going into it that the rear axle would be the first thing to complain but I didn't have any issues there and I haven't even wrapped the exhaust yet. I knew cooling would be an issue on these cars once you track more and more and continue to get faster. It wasn't even particularly hot out: perfect weather, mid to high 70's with a slight breeze.

The good/bad thing is that I am now addicted. That session was somehow even more fun than my first session. Thanks to all the people on this forum that I have plucked pieces of knowledge from. I haven't posted a ton yet but I read a LOT on this forum and on Mustang6g. Now I need to figure out if I want to throw more money at this car or try to find a Mach 1 HP... (Dark Horse is cool, but I still prefer this generation body style and would rather not get an even heavier car.)

Addendum: I did get a 1 month subscription to iRacing in order to learn this track and I have to say it was a huge help. I don't even have a good sim setup and was using my Xbox controller but just having a good feel for a new track before you arrive was super beneficial.

Link to my best lap of the day

IMG_4179.png

IMG_4112.JPG

Mustang_Plane.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_3970.png

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel