The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fair market value for my track Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Yes values have dropped quite a bit since this past Summer , but with the ton of options and mods on this car try and find one out there in the 40s , especially if some of the extras are thrown in . One or two or three Auctions is far from a pure market evaluation, especially with a car like this, since similar cars out there are not prevalent. Having a title is absolutely key, because being able to drive the car to a gas station, to a shop, even to a close event , is very convenient and since it could be financed with a title that may be another benefit.

In a month or two there will be a surge of hibernating Trackrats coming out of their holes thinking about getting on track and bingo this car may fit plenty of folks new needs. Not sure about all the options, and of course it would need a roll cage, but if done the car should fit well in ST2, ST3, American Iron or even American Extreme Iron with NASA after minor or more extensive changes. If I need and other track machine I would jump on this car and I imagine someone will , either here , or once it shows up in other places. Doc is giving folks here the first shot and that is generous I firmly believe.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
There is a guy trying to sell a low miles Kona Blue Boss on the FB Boss Owners page. He is asking high 40’s. The kicker is that the car “recently” was modified into a 1/4 mile race car. He has over $15 in new speed parts. He asked what everyone thought he would get. I answered $15-20. I said I hoped he would find the one guy wanting that specific car with those specific mods. Until that happened I recommended he pull off the speed parts and bring the car back to stock. I saw his car as being worth $15-20 since all he had was a modified GT with parts few would want. Skinnies and fats for tires, a blower and fuel system that could support 1500hp, Tremec in a drag car, and other interesting mods. If he still had the original Parts and listed them with the car, maybe $20k. Pull the speed parts off and restore the car to near original and he could be near original money.
Somethings never change. I guess no one wants to hear that their baby is ugly. He and his buddies on the site disagreed. Car is still for sale.
Yours, not so ugly, will need to be marketed correctly in the right market to get full value. BaT and Racing Junk may be good places too start assuming we don’t have someone waiting in the wings ready to grab a well put together track car.
GLWS

There is a guy trying to sell a low miles Kona Blue Boss on the FB Boss Owners page. He is asking high 40’s. The kicker is that the car “recently” was modified into a 1/4 mile race car. He has over $15 in new speed parts. He asked what everyone thought he would get. I answered $15-20. I said I hoped he would find the one guy wanting that specific car with those specific mods. Until that happened I recommended he pull off the speed parts and bring the car back to stock. I saw his car as being worth $15-20 since all he had was a modified GT with parts few would want. Skinnies and fats for tires, a blower and fuel system that could support 1500hp, Tremec in a drag car, and other interesting mods. If he still had the original Parts and listed them with the car, maybe $20k. Pull the speed parts off and restore the car to near original and he could be near original money.
Somethings never change. I guess no one wants to hear that their baby is ugly. He and his buddies on the site disagreed. Car is still for sale.
Yours, not so ugly, will need to be marketed correctly in the right market to get full value. BaT and Racing Junk may be good places too start assuming we don’t have someone waiting in the wings ready to grab a well put together track car.
GLWS
I have run through some of those sites over the years and there are a ton of cars like mine where 80K was invested and now they are trying to get back half of that and having no luck. You are correct....I need to find the right buyer. Hopefully someone is out there and we connect. I know it's a great car and would love to be able to see it again on track with a new owner.

Auctions are fun to watch....Mecum, and all the others........I don't remember seeing that many Bosses on them.......a couple Boss 429's......for BIG money!!!!!!!!!!...Our Bosses will see their day in another 20 yrs...........Son .......Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors