The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
IMG_3606.jpeg

S197 My Boss Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

Yellow Blaze Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regarding the TracKey, I believe there are 3 independent but related things you need - 1) use the Red key (which should be the one "linked" to the TracKey enablement), 2) TracKey to be enabled in the PCM/ECU - I think this is still only done by a Ford dealer, 3) PCM loaded / "flashed" with TracKey programming - a few years ago, Ford switched this from dealer-only work to customer-applied using the Pro-Cal tool.

The TracKey programming code was always something that needed to be purchased from Ford (or vendor); initially you got a certificate that you took to the dealer, and they used the certificate code to download & program your PCM. Later, Ford came out with the "Track Cal" item for programming non-Boss cars, and I think that's when TracKey changed from purchasing a certificate to actually getting the Pro-Cal programming with TracKey program.

Instructions for programming TracKey (note Part 2) -

TracKey progamming with Pro-Cal (if you need, this I recommend you check it's on-hand, as Summit shows as unavailable)

Regarding the TracKey, I believe there are 3 independent but related things you need - 1) use the Red key (which should be the one "linked" to the TracKey enablement), 2) TracKey to be enabled in the PCM/ECU - I think this is still only done by a Ford dealer, 3) PCM loaded / "flashed" with TracKey programming - a few years ago, Ford switched this from dealer-only work to customer-applied using the Pro-Cal tool.

The TracKey programming code was always something that needed to be purchased from Ford (or vendor); initially you got a certificate that you took to the dealer, and they used the certificate code to download & program your PCM. Later, Ford came out with the "Track Cal" item for programming non-Boss cars, and I think that's when TracKey changed from purchasing a certificate to actually getting the Pro-Cal programming with TracKey program.

Instructions for programming TracKey (note Part 2) -

TracKey progamming with Pro-Cal (if you need, this I recommend you check it's on-hand, as Summit shows as unavailable)
Got it all sorted out. Took the above instructions back to the dealer and they properly programmed the Trackey.
Now on to suspension and brake mods. More to come.

Got it all sorted out. Took the above instructions back to the dealer and they properly programmed the Trackey.
Now on to suspension and brake mods. More to come.
I am in a similar situation, currently in process of purchasing a 2012 with 7,500 miles that the owner has apparently lost the trackey. I think this is one of the coolest features and is making me question moving forward! I think it's still an awesome car that I've been looking forward to for years but having that option for an occasional Trackey vs an aftermarket tune all of the time is really appealing. Everything I found was from several years ago and Ford Performance basically said it's not supported anymore so... I am hoping you could help answer a couple questions if you don't mind!

1. Is that dealership you used a performance dealer or just a regular Ford Dealership?
2. Where did you purchase your Trackey from? I am nervous there might fakes that just have red color on them
3. Did the dealership have issues finding the software to load in the to PCM? I've printed the user and install instruction sheets as posted above but since it's not supported anymore going to a shop that's not familiar I feel like could cause issues.
4. Did you experience any negative side effects or unexpected hickups?
5. Any additional information you think necessary to share?

Thank You for your time and any information you're willing to share!

I am in a similar situation, currently in process of purchasing a 2012 with 7,500 miles that the owner has apparently lost the trackey. I think this is one of the coolest features and is making me question moving forward! I think it's still an awesome car that I've been looking forward to for years but having that option for an occasional Trackey vs an aftermarket tune all of the time is really appealing. Everything I found was from several years ago and Ford Performance basically said it's not supported anymore so... I am hoping you could help answer a couple questions if you don't mind!

1. Is that dealership you used a performance dealer or just a regular Ford Dealership?
2. Where did you purchase your Trackey from? I am nervous there might fakes that just have red color on them
3. Did the dealership have issues finding the software to load in the to PCM? I've printed the user and install instruction sheets as posted above but since it's not supported anymore going to a shop that's not familiar I feel like could cause issues.
4. Did you experience any negative side effects or unexpected hickups?
5. Any additional information you think necessary to share?

Thank You for your time and any information you're willing to share!

I ordered the Track key (Red Boss logo) from a local Ford Dealership in Sarasota, FL (Auto Nation Ford). They ordered, cut and programmed the key. Total the cost was $300. The programming was straight forward.

Search around; some online vendors may have the key in stock as well.

You mentioned the previous owner "lost the trackey". If so, then the PCM should have the applicable calibration, so all you need is the key. If not, this is the part number you'll need to get, separate of the Track Key, for the calibration.

M-9603-MBTKA

One note, the calibration for Track Key is quite aggressive with timing and AFR. I found with 93 octane; I was getting some Knock, and even worse with 91 octane. I would recommend setting the "Octane Adjust" for pump gas in the Track Key calibration.

Hope this helps. Let me know,

I ordered the Track key (Red Boss logo) from a local Ford Dealership in Sarasota, FL (Auto Nation Ford). They ordered, cut and programmed the key. Total the cost was $300. The programming was straight forward.

Search around; some online vendors may have the key in stock as well.

You mentioned the previous owner "lost the trackey". If so, then the PCM should have the applicable calibration, so all you need is the key. If not, this is the part number you'll need to get, separate of the Track Key, for the calibration.

M-9603-MBTKA

One note, the calibration for Track Key is quite aggressive with timing and AFR. I found with 93 octane; I was getting some Knock, and even worse with 91 octane. I would recommend setting the "Octane Adjust" for pump gas in the Track Key calibration.

Hope this helps. Let me know,
Awesome, Thanks for the information!

@rdstevenson You can order online here:

FYI, I'm pretty sure it's just a regular key with a red sticker on it, so if you don't care about that, I think a regular key will work if you want to save money.

What you need is on page 6: What if a customer loses the TracKey after programming?

I found with 93 octane; I was getting some Knock

That's interesting. I've been going back and forth whether I want to get the trackey for my car. I think time is running out to get one as I don't see many kits left online for sale. But the fact that my local dealer has no clue what it is, I might do a custom tune in the future ... and I've heard of other people running into issues when using trackey ... makes me put it very low on the priority list... I'll probably end up missing out eventually...

Last edited:

FYI, I'm pretty sure it's just a regular key with a red sticker on it, so if you don't care about that, I think a regular key will work if you want to save money.

What you need is on page 6: What if a customer loses the TracKey after programming?

That's interesting. I've been going back and forth whether I want to get the trackey for my car. I think time is running out to get one as I don't see many kits left online for sale. But the fact that my local dealer has no clue what it is, I might do a custom tune in the future ... and I've heard of other people running into issues when using trackey ... makes me put it very low on the priority list... I'll probably end up missing out eventually...
I went with a custom tune form AED. Added the “lope idle” option as well. If I go back to stock, the track key functionality is returned. In my experience, the track key calibration just had too much knock retard in my car.

I did find that levitown

I did find that Levittown resource online as well, thanks for the input and pointing to page 6. This thread even just today is answering basically all of the questions

Last edited:

That's interesting. I've been going back and forth whether I want to get the trackey for my car. I think time is running out to get one as I don't see many kits left online for sale. But the fact that my local dealer has no clue what it is, I might do a custom tune in the future ... and I've heard of other people running into issues when using trackey ... makes me put it very low on the priority list... I'll probably end up missing out eventually..

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking that'd be the way to go also. I have heard of some specialized tuners that can get trackey to work with custom tunes but I don't know who they are or where to get them.

How's it drive compared to the stock tune? Could you tell the difference? Did you dyno it?
IMG_4224.png

Dyno on 91 octane.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel