The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road America Part Deux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLOABoss said:
Still impressive with the weight and aero of da Boss when compared to the Pcar. ;) I know putting shocks and springs on my old GT3 was worth 2.5 sec at Sebring so I expect you will see good gains at BIR.

What tires were you running Hoosier R100 or Pirelli WC takeoffs?

Peter
I appreciate the compliment :-[ I was running the Continental takeoff slicks. I'm told Hoosier makes them but I don't think it's the R100. The place I bought them from said they came from the Daytona 24 hour race.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hey Gary, check out the youtube channel TRAKCAR to see behind the wheel footage from your Porsche nemesis...at least I'm betting that's the guy you were running with.

ArizonaGT said:
Hey Gary, check out the youtube channel TRAKCAR to see behind the wheel footage from your Porsche nemesis...at least I'm betting that's the guy you were running with.
Different guy as he is in a GT3RS. Lewis had a 997 GT3. There were 20 + GT3RSs at the event. Looks like he was from the same group of guys from they South though based on the list of tracks from his videos.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Rolex 24 takeoffs would be full slicks, more grip than the Conti Challenge takeoffs which are very similar to the R6.

Peter

cloud9 said:
OLOABoss said:
Still impressive with the weight and aero of da Boss when compared to the Pcar. ;) I know putting shocks and springs on my old GT3 was worth 2.5 sec at Sebring so I expect you will see good gains at BIR.

What tires were you running Hoosier R100 or Pirelli WC takeoffs?

Peter
I appreciate the compliment :-[ I was running the Continental takeoff slicks. I'm told Hoosier makes them but I don't think it's the R100. The place I bought them from said they came from the Daytona 24 hour race.

OLOABoss said:
Rolex 24 takeoffs would be full slicks, more grip than the Conti Challenge takeoffs which are very similar to the R6.

Peter
Must be that they're used then. They feel harder than R6s and don't grip like an R6.....they also last longer than R6s :D It's actually the first r-comp tire I've heat cycled out the fronts versus cording in a Mustang....well at least at RA. I did cord the outside edges on several fronts at MPH and MAM which have less straightaway and seems like you're always in a turn even if it's a fast sweeper. Those tracks are tire eaters.

JScheier said:
Any chance you tried to fit the 305/650s on the front?

Just askin ;)
Well sort of...... I put it on but didn't bolt it up and lower it down. Looks like there's a half a finger tip (~1/4") to the strut and seemed fine to the fender. I was in a hurry to get ready for RA so didn't take it all the way to driving on them. This is with a slick though and the sidewall sits inside the edge of the rim. I think it would work. It doesn't work with a DOT tire like the Nitto 555RII due to the bulge designed to protect the rims from curbs when your wife's driving :D

Let me know if you want me to explore it further. I'll be prepping for BIR next weekend and unless something unexpected comes along I should have a little more time. I have to put in new pads and go bed them on street tires, then swap tires and bleed after that anyway so the car will be up and down a couple times.

cloud9 said:
OLOABoss said:
Must be that they're used then. They feel harder than R6s and don't grip like an R6.....they also last longer than R6s :D It's actually the first r-comp tire I've heat cycled out the fronts versus cording in a Mustang....well at least at RA. I did cord the outside edges on several fronts at MPH and MAM which have less straightaway and seems like you're always in a turn even if it's a fast sweeper. Those tracks are tire eaters.

I did not know the Rolex used a different compound then the Conti Tire Challenge, good to know. I was thinking of getting some wider tires for the rear next year. Thanks for the comparison on the tires Gary, never ran R6's so I have no clue. I was going by a few of the teams that told me they were similar to the R6. I have been able to get 4 track days out of some of the take-offs when I had the pressures correct. So far I have not heat cycled them and wore out every tire in the end.

I am far from consistent but at the track I know best, PBIR they only gave me an extra second over the NT05's staggered I was running.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Scott,

The Conti Challenge takeoffs are really good for the price, good grip, outstanding wear endurance tire and like heat. They will heat cycle out but they are really worn when that happens.

The Rolex DP cars and GT cars run on true slicks which I have no experience with but I do know some true slicks performance falls off quickly with a couple if heat cycles. I have had some friends get some WC Pirelli Slicks which they were very happy with.

One issue with true Slicks vs the Conti's is true slicks require a much higher spring rate to work at peak performance. On the GT2 when I had it we went from 600 front 800 rear springs running R6 to 900 front 1100 rear when going to the Hoosier R100.
Peter

OLOABoss said:
Scott,

The Conti Challenge takeoffs are really good for the price, good grip, outstanding wear endurance tire and like heat. They will heat cycle out but they are really worn when that happens.

The Rolex DP cars and GT cars run on true slicks which I have no experience with but I do know some true slicks performance falls off quickly with a couple if heat cycles. I have had some friends get some WC Pirelli Slicks which they were very happy with.

One issue with true Slicks vs the Conti's is true slicks require a much higher spring rate to work at peak performance. On the GT2 when I had it we went from 600 front 800 rear springs running R6 to 900 front 1100 rear when going to the Hoosier R100.
Peter
I guess I'm not sure what I have been running then. The performance matches your description of Continental takeoffs and they are stamped Continental .....so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... :D

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Gary

My ? is from your tire sizing Conti Challenge, made by Hoosier, tires will be size marked like 275/35 18 or similar. You indicated you were running 305/650 18 which is how true slicks are sized. Also I don't think, and I could be wrong, that the Conti Challenge tire comes any bigger than a 275/35 18.

But what the heck if the price is right, wear and grip are good. ;)

Peter

The Conti Challenge tires are marked with the 35 side wall. As far as I know the 275/35/18 is the biggest (widest) and only size tire for the GS class. The ST class uses several smaller sizes. The Rolex uses the sizing that you said were along the lines of true slicks (ie 305/650/18). I would like to try running wider Rolex slicks out back but running the 275 squared has been a good learning experience for me. I have learned a ton about control and not making mistakes like lifting in corners.

I found in the heat at Sebring last time out they got very greasy, I slid through the lefts before Tower toward the end of the day and same lap I when up on the concrete off of 16 and it felt like I was on wet paint. I am sure a better driver might heat cycle them but I have been able to run them to the cords, for the money no doubt it is a great deal but I still run them until the end.

I hope to get my hands on some Pirelli WC tires in the future and I hear they are better then the Conti GA tires.

OLOABoss said:
Gary

My ? is from your tire sizing Conti Challenge, made by Hoosier, tires will be size marked like 275/35 18 or similar. You indicated you were running 305/650 18 which is how true slicks are sized. Also I don't think, and I could be wrong, that the Conti Challenge tire comes any bigger than a 275/35 18.

But what the heck if the price is right, wear and grip are good. ;)

Peter
Got it, then they must be true slicks from the Rolex then. Yea they're good from a price and wear standpoint, and the grip is pretty good but not at a NEW R6 level. I'm going to try some new Nittos in a couple weeks at BIR so will have a point of comparison as far as grip.

cloud9 said:
Some pics from a fun day at the track. Short clips still uploading but did get one to go.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oDdmvafcI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_ISmn02Sc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH4H93tzWN0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5gTdvk5zeI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
The Kink
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-lyhnxt-o&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Out of the Carousel into the Kink
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXQwXqiow2w&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
7-8 then into the Carousel
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMGQtQXaLY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Playing with Lewis
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZusy7yEOQ&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y_x0opQXYU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As77ztH1k_Y&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg
IMG_2034.jpg
IMG_2035.jpg
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg
I uploaded a few more "external" vids above. Gives you a better idea of the sound of the Corsas for those thinking about going that direction.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel