The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SCCA Rules for FS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
((Edited after Mavisky's reply)
I AX a 2024 GT PP Magneride.
Mods:
-Steeda Ultimate Handling Magneride springs
-GT4 studs in the front hubs to accommodate 30mm spacer.
-19x11 ET 56 wheels (square)
-Michelin PS4S 305 30 19.
-BMR CB-005 IRS cradle lockout kit
-Vorshlag camber plates.
-Track alignment with as much camber and caster I can get in the front without cutting the strut towers, 2 degrees camber in the back, 0.15 deg toe in using stock suspension components.
I enrolled in CAM-C but I'm the only one in my class.
F-Street has 7 competitors.
I read the SCCA class guide but I cannot see for sure if I could fit in FS.
((Wheel diameter rule edited out of this post after Mavisky's reply))

My GT PP did not come with camber plates standard, but there is a Mustang in FS that does (the Dark Horse with handling package or the Mach 1 with handling package). I interpret the rule as if there's an OEM part that exists on one of the models in the FS class, I am allowed to use that part in my lower trim car. I do not know if that interpretation is correct.

The local AX organizers are willing to let me join FS but I don't know if I rightfully belong there and I'm not interested in any unfair advantages.
Any suggestions, based on what I listed above?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't poured over the rulebook for FS, but the quote you pulled out refers to Diameter and not Width.

This would allow you to go from an 18" wheel to a 19" wheel, but makes no concession for going from a 10" wide wheel to an 11" wide wheel. There may be another section that does, but not the quote you provided.

You are way past FS.

The wheel allowance is for +- 1 inch diameter change, but width and offset must stay as stock.

Vorshlag plates would not be allowed, period on any car. OEM ones would be allowed on a car/package that originally came with them. I don't know all the packages on a new Mustang, but if plates were a single line item option from the factory that your car just didn't happen to have, then you could. But pretty sure they are part of track/handling packages, so unless you converted your car completely with all the package items (technically even the silly ones like badges) then you can't pick and choose and add to another car.

CAM-C is where you belong.

DaveW

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I interpret the rule as if there's an OEM part that exists on one of the models in the FS class, I am allowed to use that part in my lower trim car. I do not know if that interpretation is correct.
That is not a correct interpretation.

As the other Dave W outlines above, you are initially limited to what was available on the make, model, year, and option package(s) your car originally came with from the factory (as delivered to the dealer, including any "trunk kit" items that are dealer-installed but factory-optioned). If a single part was a line-item option, and your particular year/make/model/package(s) car could be ordered both with or without that item, you can add/remove that item. Dealer "options" are not allowed (unless covered by another allowance like "comfort & convenience" below). Generally speaking, if it's not on the factory window sticker, it's a dealer option. Note that Ford's "Build & Price" let's you pick dealer options, so "availability" on a manufacturer web site is not determinant to what is a factory vs. dealer option.
12. AUTOMOBILE DEFINITIONS
standard part
An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been ordered with the car and delivered through a dealer in the United States. Manufacturer options that are dealer-installed, port-installed, or parts provided by the manufacturer are considered to be the same as those installed on the factory production line. Manufacturer options which are dealer-installed must be specifically listed in Appendix A in order to be eligible. Dealer options, accessories, or deletions (except as required by factory directives), no matter how common or what their origin, are not included in this definition.
13. STREET CATEGORY
Except for modifications authorized below, Street Category cars must be run as specified by the manufacturer with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules. This requirement refers not just to individual parts, but to combinations thereof which would have been ordered together on a specific car.

You can also do a "package conversion" (e.g., non-PP to PP) by adding/removing ALL specific parts to completely change the car to a state where it would have come from the factory with that other option package. Still has to be within the same model year, though (Street Prepared is where you are allowed "update/backdate" across years). And you are limited to the combination of option packages that were available from the factory.
(still the Section 13 preamble)
Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversions must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. These requirements are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable a feature which distinguishes one model from another.

Updated parts, replacement parts, or any other changes by the manufacturer documented in the parts catalog or other manufacturer documentation as superseding the original part number used when manufactured are considered to be standard parts.

Alternate parts (parts that may fit due to common platforms) listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for the specific model and/or option package.
See Sections 3.8 and 8.3.1 for documentation requirements.
13.1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
If a modification is not specifically authorized in this or previous Sections of these Rules, it is not allowed.

From there, you can apply the "comfort & convenience" allowance to make non-performance changes, e.g., adding air conditioning to a car that was not available with it.
13.2 BODYWORK
A. Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/or handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted.
And then you are given all the other allowances specifically called out in the Street Category rules.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Thank you for the clear explanation. I appreciate you taking the time for me. I will resist reclassing to FS. I'll simply run my best possible runs with what I have, all by myself in CAM-C.
Now I'm wondering if there's a different class that has roughly the same handicap as CAM-C that I could compare my times with. That could give me an idea of how I'm doing...

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
CAM-C has an 0.826 PAX Index, which is pretty close to A Street at 0.824. The problem with that is that you're nowhere near maxed out on the prep allowances for CAM, and PAX is mostly calculated from National-level results where folks are expected to be prepped to the limits of their class.

I think you could compare yourself heads-up to STU, even though you're not legal for it (I think the cradle lockout violates 14.8.K, and tires are limited to 285-wide 200TW but I might call a 305 PS4S vs a 285 RE71RS a wash).

The other thing you can do is create your own index based on the good / experienced drivers in your local club. Find 3-5 drivers who are consistently top-10 overall. For each event, average their best times, then find the percentage difference to your best time. See if you're getting faster compared to them event-by-event. Those are also the drivers you can ask for ride-alongs if your club allows, especially if they also have high-HP RWD cars (driving style for a Mustang is closer to a 370Z than a Miata, but the Miata is closer than a Fiesta ST)

Also, there's nothing preventing you from comparing yourself with the FS drivers. See where you'd place based on times. You're just not fighting over the same trophy.

One last thing - local events are often more relaxed than National-level events. If you're feeling lonely in CAM-C and want some camaraderie and potentially have the FS drivers take you "under their wing" you can ask them to let you run FS. I'd put together a list of the mods you have (pretty much your top post) and ask each FS driver if they'd mind you running in their class given those mods. Realize you're now potentially taking away trophies and season points from them. It should be unanimous, and if a new FS driver shows up next event you need to get their okay as well. Of course, you can just hang out with them in the paddock, even if you stay in CAM.

Autocrossers are generally very friendly and want to help newcomers and make them feel welcome. If you have questions, ask. If you need help, ask. If you want an instructor, ask. If you want a ride-along, ask.

TMO Supporting Vendors