The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95/new edge vs S197 3v circuit capabilities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
US
hello guys this is my first post on here but many more to come as im planning to purchase a mustang this week. I'm picking between a New edge or a 3v, due to my nonexistent experience im looking for some wisdom from guys who track these cars. Which is more capable stock for stock on a circuit? Which is more capable with same aftermarket suspension and brake upgrades? basically asking what's the better, more balanced chassis

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
hello guys this is my first post on here but many more to come as im planning to purchase a mustang this week. I'm picking between a New edge or a 3v, due to my nonexistent experience im looking for some wisdom from guys who track these cars. Which is more capable stock for stock on a circuit? Which is more capable with same aftermarket suspension and brake upgrades? basically asking what's the better, more balanced chassis
Welcome to the forum! S197 all day. The 3v engines are one of the most underrated power plants. Good torque and will last FOREVER with proper care. And no comparison on the chassis - the S197 requires very little suspension wise to be a very competent track car. With the used car values finally coming back down, your starting price in a clean 05-09 GT won’t be much higher than a new edge.

I'm a huge new edge fan, that being said the S197 is the superior chassis stock to stock. The big reason is the bastardized triangulated 4 link in the sn97 is very difficult to work around, and the only cheap way to band aid it is the poor man's 3 link. The 197 on the other hand is pretty much plug n play. The gold standard Phoenix PWC cars used non adjustable lower trailing arms and a gt500 upper with coil over shocks ( OK they were custom built $10k Penskes, but you get the idea) pretty much the same in front, with cut outs for more camber.
The sn95, we were always messing around with roll centers and extended ball joints.
The s197 is the way to go.
There are 2 articles you should look up, 1 is the junkyard dog build, the other is project superbeater to see what you are getting into.
One other thing, the foxbodies were all flexible flyers, I couldn't imagine running one of them.without a cage or subframe connectors.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I vote for a '11 to '14 S197 over the new edge. However if your going to buy a 3V, I would look for a late '08, '09 or '10. The other S197's can have sparkplug problems. The first heads have few threads for the plug and more then a few plugs blew out. Then Ford went with the infamous skinny little 2 piece plug that had a bad habit of breaking off when you tried to remove them if you didn't follow a specific procedure and then sometimes the plug still broke.
I had a '08 GT 3V, good car but the extra 100+ horsepower that a 5.0L 4V gives you is a lot of extra fun.
Lastly I would throw in a V6 S197 as a possible ride. There is one on this site that is very competitive and we had one running in our area that won our CAM - C class for 2022.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Take a look at the new SCCA Club Spec Mustang class for a car that can run both autocross and time trials with the same ruleset, based on the '05-'09 Mustang GT. The Buyer's Guide has a pretty good explanation, but read the full rules to find all the loopholes (e.g., the Buyer's Guide only lists Hurst and Steeda shifters, but the MGW is also legal based on the detailed rules).

TMO Supporting Vendors