The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So this is how it starts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Always good to start 'em young. I was helping my Dad change between street & race tires on his Austin-Healey Sprite at autocrosses ("gymkhanas" back then) when I was 6. Can't remember if I was holding the trouble (work) light for him before then, but that was a regular job of mine growing up whenever he worked on our cars.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Love this thread! Really hits home how much impact cars can have on a kid. My son turned 10 this year and started coming with me to track days. I always acknowledge him as my crew chief, and I can say he takes his job very seriously! The last few months he asks every time we’re rolling into the track - what’s the age limit for passengers this weekend? Well his Christmas dreams came true last Friday, as he was allowed to ride with me on Buttonwillow. I wasn’t sure how well he would like it, so we started out very slow and had a prearranged hand signal system set up. He kept giving the thumbs up, so we kept lapping and picking up the pace. I knew we were good when he would throw his hands up cresting Phil Hill and let out a woo hoo!! We brought the car in for a debrief and some fuel, and he couldn’t wait to go back out again. Same strategy for the 2nd stint, where we just kept picking up pace as he was comfortable. When we were rolling back into the paddock I was laughing when I glanced at the lap timer - we went 1:59.09 on one of the laps without even knowing it! I pointed at the timer on the dash and he shouted “what, we went Sub 2??!!” I didn’t even realize he knew what Sub 2 was, but he was over the moon! I know for sure I’ve created a monster, as he’s scouting for a good Miata now, prepping for the Age 13 drivers limit!

IMG_8609.jpeg
image000000.jpeg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors