The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
1000003418.jpg

S197 Tires Matter Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

2011 V6 6sp base Silver/Black Handle>HP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is the Build Thread for Tires Matter. Reply below.
Starting my daily driver/track 2011 V6 manual build and this forum has been by far the best source for expert level knowledge and advice. My plan is to build a streetable but locally competitive autocross CAMC car. Why a V6? Budget is a big factor so insurance and MPG helped make that decision. I think learning to drive a slower car will only help me become a better driver. Currently the car is stock except for BBK headers and cat back exhaust from the previous owner. I added PP wheels and 275/35R19 Hercules Raptis RT-6 for daily driving. I recently drove in my first autocross event with this setup and was surprised how well it did considering the stock suspension and AS tires. My co-driver who is a seasoned driver was within 0.5 sec of a Coyote GT with tires and mods. But we were 4 seconds off the track only Corvette!
At that event I was introduced to a gentleman who upgraded(?) to a Cayman GTS and had the struts/shocks and springs from his SPEC Mustang for sale. So my first purchase was his Koni Yellow with Eibach Springs and Maximum MS CC Plates. I also ordered an Adj PH bar. Also on order are Steeda Jack rails. I have spent the last few days researching wheel and tire options. For budget purposes I decided on 18x10 Apex wheels. I was debating tire choices until this morning... I happened to look up ForgeStar wheels and to my surprise they had their 19x11 +56 CF10 wheels on sale for $116ea! Needless to say I ordered 4 immediately. I prefer APEX based on everyone's feedback but I couldn't pass up that deal. Since I am a Michelin Dealer I get 25% off 2 sets of Michelin products per year so I am ordering 305/30R19 BFG Rival S to put on the wheels. I was planning on just doing wheels and tires to start but I got really lucky with the Koni's. I also ordered the fluid replacement kit from BG for the tranny and dif. Once I have all the parts in hand I will start the install. Pics to follow! Super excited to get it on the track once its done!

Continuing the budget theme can I press new studs in the current hubs or are the FRP hub/stud kits worth the expense?

Open to all input and suggestions from the group. Anyone here in the Tucson area?

image000001.jpg

image000000 (1).jpg

Starting my daily driver/track 2011 V6 manual build and this forum has been by far the best source for expert level knowledge and advice. My plan is to build a streetable but locally competitive autocross CAMC car. Why a V6? Budget is a big factor so insurance and MPG helped make that decision. I think learning to drive a slower car will only help me become a better driver. Currently the car is stock except for BBK headers and cat back exhaust from the previous owner. I added PP wheels and 275/35R19 Hercules Raptis RT-6 for daily driving. I recently drove in my first autocross event with this setup and was surprised how well it did considering the stock suspension and AS tires. My co-driver who is a seasoned driver was within 0.5 sec of a Coyote GT with tires and mods. But we were 4 seconds off the track only Corvette!
At that event I was introduced to a gentleman who upgraded(?) to a Cayman GTS and had the struts/shocks and springs from his SPEC Mustang for sale. So my first purchase was his Koni Yellow with Eibach Springs and Maximum MS CC Plates. I also ordered an Adj PH bar. Also on order are Steeda Jack rails. I have spent the last few days researching wheel and tire options. For budget purposes I decided on 18x10 Apex wheels. I was debating tire choices until this morning... I happened to look up ForgeStar wheels and to my surprise they had their 19x11 +56 CF10 wheels on sale for $116ea! Needless to say I ordered 4 immediately. I prefer APEX based on everyone's feedback but I couldn't pass up that deal. Since I am a Michelin Dealer I get 25% off 2 sets of Michelin products per year so I am ordering 305/30R19 BFG Rival S to put on the wheels. I was planning on just doing wheels and tires to start but I got really lucky with the Koni's. I also ordered the fluid replacement kit from BG for the tranny and dif. Once I have all the parts in hand I will start the install. Pics to follow! Super excited to get it on the track once its done!

Continuing the budget theme can I press new studs in the current hubs or are the FRP hub/stud kits worth the expense?

Open to all input and suggestions from the group. Anyone here in the Tucson area?

View attachment 97506

View attachment 97507
Man that's a killer deal on wheels...looks like you are off to a good start. I'm in for updates.

Are you going for 18x11 wheels now ? Some 315 wide BFG meats would be a good choice for a Michelin/BFG Dealer. Do you carry any other tires at your shop?

Last edited:
can I press new studs in the current hubs or are the FRP hub/stud kits worth the expense?
You can press ARP studs into the hubs yourself, but with over 100K miles on the car I'd want to replace the hubs for safety anyway (big, sticky tires will put a ton of load into hub bearings, and they become a "consumable" item). At that point, the Ford Racing hubs with ARP studs already fitted are the easy option.

Motorcraft hubs from RockAuto are $87 each (Timken & SKF are $75). A 5-pk of ARP studs is $76 at Summit, so you're looking at about $325 in parts, plus pressing out the stock studs and pressing in the ARP studs. The Ford Racing/Performance hubs are $373 a pair at Summit, and they include new spindle nuts. After the first set of FR hubs, you could press out the ARP studs and re-use in new hubs a couple times, but if you're changing wheels often they become a consumable as well, especially when using spacers.

I would look at getting complete units from OPMustang , because even though they are a bit higher, they are of higher quality and will stand up strong to even more track usage. Plus Tim has the long studs installed in them ( Nascar and IMSA grade ) so you can fit larger wheels and tires on your Stang in the future. OP is a site sponsor and has plenty or other stuff for your car on here and as another small business owner you two might be able to work together on ideas. Who knows, he may be a good support individual for your tire business and he can save you plenty of time from making decisions you want to change later.

Good luck !

I ended up getting Moog replacement hubs and ordered the standard ARP studs but the knurl was too small. Quick search on ARPs website and I matched the studs I hammered out. Added a 19mm spacer then test fit the wheels. I had to grind the end of the top sway bar bolt off and pulled some plastic but had no rubbing. It has about -2 camber right now.
I ran our local SCCA event this weekend and the BFGs did really well. Granted this is the first set of 200tw tires I have driven so they were a huge upgrade from the all seasons I ran last time. I really noticed the grip during hard braking the most. We pulled the ABS fuse so we could feel the tires better. I was able to get into the low 38 sec and my co driver who is very experienced best run was low 37 sec. This put us as the fastest Mustang. Best time of the day was high 35s by a Cayman GTS driven by a national level driver. Still on 100% stock suspension other than camber bolts!!1000003426.jpg1000003422.jpg

I would look at getting complete units from OPMustang , because even though they are a bit higher, they are of higher quality and will stand up strong to even more track usage. Plus Tim has the long studs installed in them ( Nascar and IMSA grade ) so you can fit larger wheels and tires on your Stang in the future. OP is a site sponsor and has plenty or other stuff for your car on here and as another small business owner you two might be able to work together on ideas. Who knows, he may be a good support individual for your tire business and he can save you plenty of time from making decisions you want to change later.

Good luck !
I have ordered from OP and he helped me with some technical questions after hours! Great service and I will definitely be ordering from them for future parts. I'm on a tight budget so my dealer prices on hubs was too good to pass up in this case.

I ended up getting Moog replacement hubs and ordered the standard ARP studs but the knurl was too small. Quick search on ARPs website and I matched the studs I hammered out. Added a 19mm spacer then test fit the wheels. I had to grind the end of the top sway bar bolt off and pulled some plastic but had no rubbing. It has about -2 camber right now.
I ran our local SCCA event this weekend and the BFGs did really well. Granted this is the first set of 200tw tires I have driven so they were a huge upgrade from the all seasons I ran last time. I really noticed the grip during hard braking the most. We pulled the ABS fuse so we could feel the tires better. I was able to get into the low 38 sec and my co driver who is very experienced best run was low 37 sec. This put us as the fastest Mustang. Best time of the day was high 35s by a Cayman GTS driven by a national level driver. Still on 100% stock suspension other than camber bolts!!View attachment 98073View attachment 98074
This is covered, at length in the build thread project superbeater

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel