The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What Does Optimal Lap Teach vs Delta?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
While analyzing AIM Data at home I noticed my Optimal Lap for my last 3 sessions at VIR were 2:04.21 vs my best lap 2:06.16. My experience in HPDE is to hope you have clean track, tires are at temp and most of all be ready to go when the time arrives to see your best lap time. When I see green delta I push to improve or see where I lost it. Does Optimal show my inconsistency or should it change my expectation? Normally optimal vs best lap are within a 1.0 of each other. Similar conditions and grip if large disparity actual vs optimal I'm going to expect more out of the session knowing that I'm already driving sectors well enough to be that quick. Don't know if this is the right way of going about it? When I see my optimal I usually run a similar lap time on my next trip...I'm sure this will slow as I improve. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Optimal should be the best segments pieced together as if one lap.
Yes, I guess my question is how should I be use that knowledge? I guess it pretty subjective. Maybe I need to learn how to use the data to help my improvement more effectively.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The optimal lap is your theoretical best lap based on what you have driven so far. It will change as you get better/get more data on a given track. The difference between your actual lap and optimal shows the inconsistencies in your driving. Look at specific segments of the track where the delta is biggest and focus on them. Only pick a couple of segments to work on each session and see how you can improve consistency on them. Then reevaluate data and pick the next couple to work on.

TMO Supporting Vendors