The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 Wiring Switch Panel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
Some people can read a wiring diagram and figure out how to adapt it to aftermarket controls. I am not that person so I am hoping someone has an easy(ish) solution to my dilemma. I recently bought a Longacre switch panel with a master on/off, momentary push button start, and 4 accessory switches (52-44869). I also bought the wiring kit for the switch panel 52-44930. What I am having trouble finding is how to connect this assembly into the mostly stock wiring harness, presumably in the area of the steering column. I assume this arrangement will get rid of the need for the ignition switch. Along with the obvious starter circuit, I want to have the accessory switches control the fuel pump and the electric water pump. I may also add the electric fan which currently has it's own switch. This is for my 1997 Cobra CP car. There is not much else in the way of accessories to control as anything that is not essential to making the car go, stop, and turn has been removed. Thanks for any guidance.

Some people can read a wiring diagram and figure out how to adapt it to aftermarket controls. I am not that person so I am hoping someone has an easy(ish) solution to my dilemma. I recently bought a Longacre switch panel with a master on/off, momentary push button start, and 4 accessory switches (52-44869). I also bought the wiring kit for the switch panel 52-44930. What I am having trouble finding is how to connect this assembly into the mostly stock wiring harness, presumably in the area of the steering column. I assume this arrangement will get rid of the need for the ignition switch. Along with the obvious starter circuit, I want to have the accessory switches control the fuel pump and the electric water pump. I may also add the electric fan which currently has it's own switch. This is for my 1997 Cobra CP car. There is not much else in the way of accessories to control as anything that is not essential to making the car go, stop, and turn has been removed. Thanks for any guidance.
This is a rough generalization since I don't have a 97 wiring diagram, but I have rewired a 94 just with my own panel/switches. On the ignition switch connector (ISC), I believe the yellow wires are hot at all times. You'll want to connect the brown wire from the panel to one of them. The green wire from the panel will go to the white/pink wire on the ISC (starter solenoid among other things). One yellow from the panel will go to Red/Lt. green on the ISC. This will turn the ignition/ECU on. Normally this also energizes the fuel pump. If you want a separate fuel pump switch, you'll have to cut in further downstream and feed wires to and from the switch.
The ISC also distributes power to other fuses/items so if you need those you can run the other yellow from the panel to them. If you have a wiring diagram for it post it

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
This is what I was able to find. One is from a Haynes manual the other from Chiltons. The chart was from an online post.

20240203_150616.jpg

20240203_151058.jpg

Attachments

• wiring details ignition switch.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 1
OK, yellow is hot at all times so that goes to the brown on the panel. If you have a red/lt. green on the ignition switch connector, I'm confident that that is ignition and connects to one of the yellows from the panel.

Are you still using the clutch pedal switch and does the car have the anti theft feature (PATs)? You can eliminate the clutch switch if you wish and you'll want to get rid of anti theft since you won't be using the key.

If you want to eliminate both just run the green wire from the panel directly to the starter where the white and pink wire connect to the starter solenoid.

If you want to keep the clutch switch, run the green wire to the white/pink wire on the ISC. Then on the clutch switch cut the white/pink wire and connect a wire to it (the end coming from the clutch switch) and run it to the starter solenoid.

Are you using any under dash fuses?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I've done what I think you are trying to do. The factory ignition switch is like 4 or 5 relays into one. So to get rid of it you need to be ready to add external relays back into the system. Running the power through a switch is just asking for potential fire hazard.

I see two options:
1. Use key to turn on car power and add push button for starter <- easiest solution
2. Completely remove need for key and rewire everything <- what I did and kinda involved

If you are trying to completely remove the need for a key you also need to disable the steering lock if you haven't already.

I have the OEM 1994 electrical schematics, I'm sure 97 won't be that much different. I think I can dig up the schematic that I created for when I did my wiring and help answer any questions. Here is a video I made on my channel, but it's not a how-to.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
Thanks for all the replies. I got pulled off on something else and am only now able to start thinking about this again. Good thing the season starts next weekend.

TMO Supporting Vendors