The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
IMG_0731.JPG

SN95 1999 Turbo V6 to Coyote Race Car Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

Giving my first car it's second life as a race car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
West Virginia
This is the Build Thread for 1999 Turbo V6 to Coyote Race Car.

Howdy folks. It's been a while since I've been on an actual forum but that's where the knowledge is. Facebook groups just don't cut it.

Been at it since 1999 and this is the car that started it all, beginning as a 3.8 V6 automatic car, then got a cam, then Procharger, 5-speed swap, and finally a custom turbo kit at its peak making 474whp -- first REAL power I made with a vehicle, hence the name. Along with the performance were OEM+ exterior mods and basic suspension. I never really took the car further than that, this was reaching late 2000's, career life started, I lost interest, sadly due to a few bugs I never got worked out it never made a ¼ mile pass. I then did the worst thing you could to a vehicle, aside from a few drives over the years, let it since until now. In the early 2010's I tracked a few vehicles at Summit Point for fun, 2012 5.0 and a 2013 Taurus SHO with a few mods that hurt a lot of feelings. Took a break from that career and mainly just did some drag racing here and there with other vehicles up until recently. A few years back I built a 9 sec capable F-150 for drag racing but then built a house and had to put dialing it in on the backburner. Now I’m finally getting back into everything! After a hiatus from events, I did a 24-hour off-road endurance rally in my Bronco Raptor and recently competed in a hill climb with my stock M3 finishing 6th in a Top 15 field of seasoned drivers and race cars with sticky tires. After the hill climb, I decided to give the Mustang a second life as a streetable race car so follow only my journey over the next year and a half. I've set a date to fire it up of 4/17/2026.

Instagram/Youtube: 474_Garage

As with everything you need a detailed plan, so here we go (feel free to critique! – I’m a little rusty with Mustang stuff):

1. Strip car, sell parts, and prepare for cage and paint – DUE 10/1/2024
  • Strip car – IN PROCESS (lot’s of parts for sale!)
  • Remove glass
  • Need to decide on cage, it must remain streetable, for now.
  • Most likely it’s going to be a few years after build completion before I go full on wheel-to-wheel racing. I’m going to start feeling the car out with HPDE events, then time trials (Gridlife), casual wheel-to-wheel (Colonial Cup), then an SCCA series. So, I’m not going to do door bars at the moment, but, I want to be prepared to add to the existing cage – do it right the first time. I’m currently looking for what options I have for pre-bent 8-10 pt kits that I can tweak/modify to fit right (I doubt any OTS solution is perfect) then gut the doors and add a custom door bar to down the road.
2. Cage install, chassis weldments and reinforcement, decide on rear aero and seats – DUE 2/1/2025
  • MM Subframe connectors – are there other options that can tie in with a cage?
  • Scott’s Hot Rods engine bay panels, still has to look pretty
  • Looking into additional chassis reinforcement
  • Decide on chassis mount wing (necessary?)
  • Decide on seats, side wings so I don't die driving it without a helmet
3. Paint cage, engine bay, touch up exterior blemishes, and paint new body parts – DUE 5/1/2025
  • New body parts – Non-spoiler trunk, wing brackets, V6 bumper (going side exhaust)
4. Reinstall interior, glass, and seats – SUMMER 2025
  • I want this to remain as nice as it can be, think Cobra R, so carpet and interior panels will be going back in with rear seat delete panels.
  • Another must, A/C will remain but no heat. Even once I must gut the doors for door bars and remove the windows, I still want to be able to blow some cold air on myself if my wife and I decide we want to go for a backroads cruise. Living in WV I have excellent driving roads everywhere. I may even be a glutton for punishment and take this on a Power Tour.
It gets less detailed for the remainder. I have all winter to figure out. I’ll add more specifics as it comes but these are the main components:

5. Fuel, brake system – SUMMER 2025
  • Trunk mounted cell
  • Fore dual pump -8 feed/-6 return system (dual pump and 1-up sizing to leave room for more power, don’t plan on boost but who knows)
  • Brakes – just figure out a master cylinder at this point to get the lines sorted out
6. Suspension, brakes, and wheels – FALL 2025
  • Front: Griggs SLA 1.5” front w/S197 hubs
  • Rear: MM torque arm and panhard bar
  • Wheels: Apex (possible other) forged 18x11, square 295 or 305
  • Brakes are where I need to do some research
  • Front: S550 calipers
  • Rear: Adapter for floating caliper (?) assume aftermarket
  • Front brake ducts
  • Rear brake cooling? Curious if anyone makes a scoop for the lower control arm to get some air to the brakes. Alternatively, get crazy and make the side scoops functional!
7. Engine, transmission, controls and associated cooling

I know there are solutions but it’s too early to spend time researching this. I need to gut the factory harness leaving only necessary wiring; A/C, lights – pretty much it! Since I’ll put the fuel pump, fans, and ignition on a switch panel I need to look into if I even need the Ford controls pack or if a Holley setup is more suitable so I can run their digital cluster. Again, more research needed here.
  • Gen 2 Coyote on E85, w/18 manifold, long tubes, side exhaust
  • Most likely open the front end up and add Boss 302 timing chain guides, OPG's, delete VCT
  • T-56 Magnum
  • PS, oil, and differential coolers
8. Final body assembly, aero, and safety
  • Install remaining body panels
  • Need to research a functional high wing to grab air off the roof
  • Rear diffuser to get air out from the rear bumper since the gas tank will be gone
  • Front splitter that extends a panel under the car to the K-member. It looks like Carter’s customs may have some solutions here but need to see if they are even functional.
  • Fire suppression system
  • Harness
  • Battery box and shutoff
  • Tow hooks
  • Camera mounts
  • Logging equipment
Here we go!

In the meantime, here a few pictures of the gang and car in it's glory days, before and during deconstruction

IMG_1476.jpg
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_6023.JPG
D8036A98-418D-49CF-A01E-1E38D1B0D5FD.JPG
IMG_2051.jpg
IMG_2052.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2130.jpgIMG_2131.jpg.

Last edited:
Since there is nothing listed in your " Build Thread, " for mods are we to assume you are dropping a Coyote V8 into your little red wagon? Welcome and do keep us posted on things as he build goes forward!

Since there is nothing listed in your " Build Thread, " for mods are we to assume you are dropping a Coyote V8 into your little red wagon? Welcome and do keep us posted on things as he build goes forward!
I'm typing up the build as we speak, decided to go into as much detail as possible. Check back this evening!

Making progress on preparations for the cage. Just about completely stripped and starting to clean up what I’ll keep of the body harness. Organizing parts and hardware, got all parts sold already. Picked up a parts car to use the V6 bumper and interior parts for test fitting with the cage so I don’t mess mine up since they’re mint. It’ll make a great Lemons car down the road!

Coming up:
- 8 point cage with doors bars
- Maximum Motorsport full length subframe connectors
- Rear shock tower brace
- Engine bay cleanup
- Pick out and purchase seats
- Spec out and order motor

IMG_2171.jpeg
IMG_2172.jpegIMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2164.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors