The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2016 Ford Mustang GT w/Performance Pack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas
My 2016 Ford Mustang GT w/Performance Pack has 75,000 miles. Car is tracked 4 to 5 times per year for HPDE. This past year I've noticed when I come in off track, a very small bit of oil drips on my driver side manifold, causing smoke to rise for a few seconds after you pop the hood. Valve cover gaskets were replaced last year. Never any oil on the garage floor. Oil pressure and engine temps seem fine when running. I do push it to 7000 rpm on track here and there but car seems to be running strong. Any ideas? Could it be coming out of the dipstick tube? I do have oil separator cans on the passenger side and driver's side installed.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
if it’s what I think it is then there are a few threads on here and other forums about this. Has to do with overflow of the PCV (I don’t think I said that right). Two years in a row after the same sequence of turns at Summit Point I was black flagged because of smoke coming out my car. The fix was upgrading to the GT500 cam cover which has better baffling.
More knowledgeable people can better explain. Long story short…no more smoke

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The can on my Boss hardly has any oil in it. I wipe it out with a rag and send it for another year.
There may be value in looking at the updated valve covers.
Steve from Blowfish lost an engine to excessive PCV oil passage. The new style valve cover was not available then.
How much oil does the car consume on a weekend?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I dont think Rich is on here but he is in the FB TMO group. He made a video a couple years ago

this fixed my issue and others. It may be relevant to you

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
if it’s what I think it is then there are a few threads on here and other forums about this. Has to do with overflow of the PCV (I don’t think I said that right). Two years in a row after the same sequence of turns at Summit Point I was black flagged because of smoke coming out my car. The fix was upgrading to the GT500 cam cover which has better baffling.
More knowledgeable people can better explain. Long story short…no more smoke
This fixed the smoking problem on my '16, though I think I used the gt350 cover.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
If you’re getting oil leaking out the valve cover onto the headers then I don’t think the baffling is your problem, especially on the driver side. The only way you can have a leak would be the main gasket that seals it to the head, or the seals for the spark plug holes, dipstick, VCT solenoids, or PCV connection. Or a crack. The black color probably makes it tough to see where the oil is originating.

If you track your car a lot then it might be worth upgrading the passenger side valve cover to get the improved baffling to prevent ingesting oil into the intake.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
In my case it was not leaking out. The problem was the valve cover, I think on the passenger side, did not have good oil control. It somehow trapped excess oil which caused smoking by overloading the seals. I was told to use the GT350 unit, which I did and that solved the problem (for a couple hundo bucks).
Thanks Ford.

TMO Supporting Vendors