The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

22 GT/MT82D4 Clutch Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Hey all,

wondering if any one has suggestions for a clutch for the mt82d4. I see a lot of recommendations for McLeod and Mantic over on M6G forums. But I would prefer an answer from guys that are tracking their car a lot.

Tracking is a whole lot different than just roll racing in terms of heat (as we all know) - I found that out after my first track day a couple weeks ago. I could feel the clutch asking for mercy as sessions went on. Granted I did not do any NLS (despite having a wotbox), short shifted around 6k most of the time, and still wasn’t really pushing the car 100%.

I have motul 660 and a stainless line on the way before my next track day July 1st to see if that helps at all.

Open ears to any and all suggestions.

edit: I will be adding an active cooler to both the diff and trans in the coming weeks as well to see if cooling is the issue rather than needing a clutch

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Unfortunately Exedy does not make the Hyper Single for the MT82D4, just the MT82 from 15-17.
Who knew? Another good reason to keep my '16. Just need to buy another MT82 so I've got a fresh one in stock at all times. And maybe get a spare Hyper single while I'm at it. A 2016 is getting old now and parts are going to start disappearing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Also - i've seen people suggesting OE flywheels but most of the time thats to balance out the vibrations on the FPC of the gt350. Can the 5.0 use an aftermarket lightweight flywheel? If so - what brand/model would I look at for that one?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Who knew? Another good reason to keep my '16. Just need to buy another MT82 so I've got a fresh one in stock at all times. And maybe get a spare Hyper single while I'm at it. A 2016 is getting old now and parts are going to start disappearing.
I'm going to start scouring the junkyards for some back up pieces, transmission at the top of the list.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
No need to scour the junk yards. They still make new Tremec T56 Magnum XL's.
That's true. But a new T56 Magnum XL is a hell of a lot more money than buying a 2nd MT82 and swapping/rebuilding every 2nd or 3rd year. With a good racing clutch I'm sure 3 years between rebuilds is realistic with the MT82, it was the stock clutch that killed my MT82. I'm starting year 3 on the rebuild and it is not showing any signs of giving up the ghost.

Rebuilding my MT82 was ~2K Canuck bucks and about $500 labour getting it pulled and installed. That install cost included installing Exedy Hypersingle clutch. Buying a Tremec the entire install kit works out to about $9600 Canadian by the time I pay all the taxes, shipping, etc and that's not including getting it installed for likely $1500 at best, that's probably optimistic because it's not a direct bolt in like the MT82 is. MT82 pull/install is going to be way cheaper than the initial install of a Tremec.

Most important, the Tremec will still need a rebuild sooner or later, no trans lasts forever especially when abusing them like we do. Shoot some temperature readings on the MT82 after a hard track session, you'll be surprised at how hot that thing gets. The Tremec is not exempt from heat.

I don't think a Tremec swap actually cash flows vs buying a junkyard MT82 and rebuilding it and then alternating between 2 MT82s as they wear out. There are some good aftermarket parts out there that address a lot of the weaknesses of the MT82. Syncrotech springs to mind. I only got 13 track days out of my stock MT82, but with the Syncrotech rebuild parts I am now looking at starting a 3rd season this spring. I put a cooler on it as well and for sure that is a major part of the equation.

Then there's the gear ratios, the Tremec is not as good as an MT82 for the tracks I run, the Tremec is mostly just a 3 speed gearbox. For a stock engine track day car the MT82 can be quite viable with the right stuff in/on it. But if you're making big horsepower then fugitaboutit.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have been doing MT swap thing for ages now... I don't know how many times we have swapped the MT82 out to repair, its well over 6 times by now. Sometimes I think I am delusional or just nuts! Now it just takes a couple of hours, but one day I will have to put in a tremec, to be honest, once your HP gets higher, the MT82 is also a 3 speed box, 3rd, 4th and 5th on faster tracks and 2nd 3rd and 4th on smaller ones.. 2nd is low enough to be a real handful with lots of HP, if engine rpm is above 4000rpm I just stay in 3rd as it faster in the end and the 2nd to 3rd shift is difficult to get right under load.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I autocross the Boss. Going to crack 10,000 miles on it probably this weekend. Still running on original clutch and transmission. My technique is simple, launch hard, usually some tire spin before tripping the lights and slap it into second gear. That's usually the last time I shift. Occasionally the course may have a really slow corner requiring 1st gear or when I run with the Corvettes may have to pop it in third for a bit. I may put a clutch in it this winter. I do my own work so that keeps costs in line, somewhat. If I was building a dedicated autocross car I go with a custom 3 or 4 speed transmission, why carry the extra gears around.

Prob close to to 500ish to the wheels. Not boosted (yet)
Still dont see any issues there. Thats probably about what mine makes on e85 anyways. Just saying, I don't think the clutch is first thing on the list if you're just starting to track but that's just my opinion. If you throw boost at it then ok, definitely need something stronger.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
The mantic is so pretty it's a shame to hide, but in all honesty @PaddyPrix had the same issue of his clutch slipping and he also went with mantic and fixed the issue and believe he is even did a write up about it on his build.

IMG_4649.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
That's true. But a new T56 Magnum XL is a hell of a lot more money than buying a 2nd MT82 and swapping/rebuilding every 2nd or 3rd year. With a good racing clutch I'm sure 3 years between rebuilds is realistic with the MT82, it was the stock clutch that killed my MT82. I'm starting year 3 on the rebuild and it is not showing any signs of giving up the ghost.

Rebuilding my MT82 was ~2K Canuck bucks and about $500 labour getting it pulled and installed. That install cost included installing Exedy Hypersingle clutch. Buying a Tremec the entire install kit works out to about $9600 Canadian by the time I pay all the taxes, shipping, etc and that's not including getting it installed for likely $1500 at best, that's probably optimistic because it's not a direct bolt in like the MT82 is. MT82 pull/install is going to be way cheaper than the initial install of a Tremec.

Most important, the Tremec will still need a rebuild sooner or later, no trans lasts forever especially when abusing them like we do. Shoot some temperature readings on the MT82 after a hard track session, you'll be surprised at how hot that thing gets. The Tremec is not exempt from heat.

I don't think a Tremec swap actually cash flows vs buying a junkyard MT82 and rebuilding it and then alternating between 2 MT82s as they wear out. There are some good aftermarket parts out there that address a lot of the weaknesses of the MT82. Syncrotech springs to mind. I only got 13 track days out of my stock MT82, but with the Syncrotech rebuild parts I am now looking at starting a 3rd season this spring. I put a cooler on it as well and for sure that is a major part of the equation.

Then there's the gear ratios, the Tremec is not as good as an MT82 for the tracks I run, the Tremec is mostly just a 3 speed gearbox. For a stock engine track day car the MT82 can be quite viable with the right stuff in/on it. But if you're making big horsepower then fugitaboutit.
The GST and PST in Canada will get you every time. My original MT82 served me well and I have no complaints. The trouble started when I had it rebuilt while out for a clutch swap. I couldn't find a local shop that wanted to work on the MT82, so I had to ship it out. When the Stage 2 build self destructed after about 1200 miles it was actually about the same price to swap to the Tremec then to purchase a Stage 3 that I was being pushed into.

The Tremec swap is a little more the first time. You need a new driveshaft, the mount, and bell housing, but once it is done it is done. After that it is just a one for one exchange. A new magnum xl is about the same price for me as a decently build MT82 and core and it is new not rebuilt. I sit between two large Tremec distributors less than an hour in each direction so it is much more convenient for me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The mantic is so pretty it's a shame to hide, but in all honesty @PaddyPrix had the same issue of his clutch slipping and he also went with mantic and fixed the issue and believe he is even did a write up about it on his build. They aren't cheap but worth every penny ok my opinion, it holds my 800+ hp just fine 😎

View attachment 87120
The Mantic 9000 series are top notch. I have one sitting in front of the Magnum XL in my 2011. They are a bit pricey but you get everything in one preassembled kit. No need to run around finding parts. Customer service from Mantic USA was the best I have seen in a long time. Geoff was great to deal with and bent over backwards to help when I had to change directions and do the Tremec swap.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Still dont see any issues there. Thats probably about what mine makes on e85 anyways. Just saying, I don't think the clutch is first thing on the list if you're just starting to track but that's just my opinion. If you throw boost at it then ok, definitely need something stronger.
I think I “should” have a majority of the basics done before my next event on July 1st. What things would you prioritize before clutch ?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I think I “should” have a majority of the basics done before my next event on July 1st. What things would you prioritize before clutch ?
I think he is asking what problems did you have exactly? You just said you “could feel the clutch asking for mercy”. What exactly did you feel?

TMO Supporting Vendors