The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V 315 Hoosiers on a S197

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Searched various threads and can't find an answer. Running a S197 3V in SCCA CP class. Moved to cp class this year. Complete interior removed, car weights 3144 (no driver). 18x11s with 315 A7s. -3.3 camber with slight toe out. Corner balance with about 30 pound difference on any given tire. Don't have the exact numbers. Coilovers with adjustable swaybar. After about 20 runs I noticed that the front tires are running hotter on the insides (too much camber) and the backs look like 10-15 percent of the thread area on the insides are not even making contact with the ground (no camber) and the tires are rubbing on the rear saybar. Running 30 psi rear and 32 front. Plan to just remove rear swaybar to take care of rubbing. Hoosier says I should run 40 psi at this weight, which I think is too much. Question is should I remove some camber so front inside doesn't get so hot and what is a reasonable tire pressure starting point. Just want to get the potential from the tires and heard that Hoosiers don't like alot a camber. Any input is appreciated, thanks, Dave.

Searched various threads and can't find an answer. Running a S197 3V in SCCA CP class. Moved to cp class this year. Complete interior removed, car weights 3144 (no driver). 18x11s with 315 A7s. -3.3 camber with slight toe out. Corner balance with about 30 pound difference on any given tire. Don't have the exact numbers. Coilovers with adjustable swaybar. After about 20 runs I noticed that the front tires are running hotter on the insides (too much camber) and the backs look like 10-15 percent of the thread area on the insides are not even making contact with the ground (no camber) and the tires are rubbing on the rear saybar. Running 30 psi rear and 32 front. Plan to just remove rear swaybar to take care of rubbing. Hoosier says I should run 40 psi at this weight, which I think is too much. Question is should I remove some camber so front inside doesn't get so hot and what is a reasonable tire pressure starting point. Just want to get the potential from the tires and heard that Hoosiers don't like alot a camber. Any input is appreciated, thanks, Dave.
not sure, is this an autocross class or a track car?
Then I can go from there

Your camber should be fine. You could possibly need more but certainly not less. You need more in the rear :)

I think your pressures are in the ballpark. When I ran my car in CP, I used 18x12 with 335 Hoosiers and I am 3500 with no driver and ran 34f/30r. Typically for Hoosiers, at least on the end with camber, lower the pressures until you lose crisp turn in and then go up 1-2 psi from that. This assumes you aren't rolling them over on the outside. It's harder to use rollover on the rears, with no camber in the axle you will kill the edges no matter what. I just used the rear pressure to tune balance and rotated often.

My stock mounted rear bars always rubbed. I switched to Whiteline for a long time and more recently to the Cortex, both of which mount on the axle.

DaveW

Your camber should be fine. You could possibly need more but certainly not less. You need more in the rear :)

I think your pressures are in the ballpark. When I ran my car in CP, I used 18x12 with 335 Hoosiers and I am 3500 with no driver and ran 34f/30r. Typically for Hoosiers, at least on the end with camber, lower the pressures until you lose crisp turn in and then go up 1-2 psi from that. This assumes you aren't rolling them over on the outside. It's harder to use rollover on the rears, with no camber in the axle you will kill the edges no matter what. I just used the rear pressure to tune balance and rotated often.

My stock mounted rear bars always rubbed. I switched to Whiteline for a long time and more recently to the Cortex, both of which mount on the axle.

DaveW
Thanks for the input, rear camber on the list, just not in the bank yet. I'll play with pressure test this weekend. At current pressures I'm thinking too much rollover.

What's the thoughts on running no rear bar. Thanks

Thanks for the input, rear camber on the list, just not in the bank yet. I'll play with pressure test this weekend. At current pressures I'm thinking too much rollover.

What's the thoughts on running no rear bar. Thanks
Do you have a photo of the front tires where I can see the edge? I can't imagine 32 is far off for the fronts given how light your car is.

Removing the rear bar will usually keep the rear tires from rubbing on the bar :) If the car's handling is currently balanced with a rear bar, and you remove the bar, you need to add rear spring to keep the same overall balance otherwise the car will be pushy

DaveW

You can get 315s on there but you will have to get creative with the wheel offsets. A standard Grand Am roadrace setup was the Ford " blue" bar up front and an 18mm or no bar on the rear. I forget the spring rates, 600 front 400 rear maybe? It's been awhile. You can heat and quench your rear axle to get camber out of the stock unit, but if you go over about 1.5, you'll need to barrel grind the splines which leads to longevity issues.
A7 hots are about 32psi.
If your car looks like this coming off the corner, you've nailed it.4ZuYOof.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Melbourne

DaveW
Let me ask you this. Do you like Whiteline or Cortex better?

Let me ask you this. Do you like Whiteline or Cortex better?
The Cortex is way easier to adjust, but they both work fine. I was not unhappy with the Whiteline, it just didn't fit correctly with the Cortex Torque Arm.

A lot of it depends on your overall setup. The Cortex is a pretty small bar, much closer to the 18mm-no bar range. The whiteline is pretty big. You have to adjust spring rates accordingly to make the car work.

DaveW

BTW..

Thread 'diff straightening' https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/diff-straightening.17210/
Do you have a photo of the front tires where I can see the edge? I can't imagine 32 is far off for the fronts given how light your car is.

Removing the rear bar will usually keep the rear tires from rubbing on the bar :) If the car's handling is currently balanced with a rear bar, and you remove the bar, you need to add rear spring to keep the same overall balance otherwise the car will be pushy

DaveW

20230802_101931.jpg

20230802_101906.jpg

20230802_101757.jpg

20230802_101743.jpg

20230802_101432.jpg

20230802_101504.jpg

20230802_101536.jpg

20230802_101638.jpg

Just go ahead and bite the bullet and do the ARP extended studs. You'll be stacking spacers on it sooner or later.
That to, plus options are covered in project superbeater.
I have arp long studs on all 4s. Plan is to add a 1/8 spacer to the current 1/4 thus 3/8th total and see what happens. I'll just have to watch fender clearance. I like the rear-end alignment post and plan to do that this winter. Will also check superheated. Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors