The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V 3V Oil Cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
PA
We have been discussing oil coolers in the “club spec” group on facebook did a lot of searching and couldn’t really come up with a good answer. Does the 3v need an oil cooler for track work or am I looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist? I’ve seen plenty of stuff about the 5.0s while searching.

Some places are selling the mishimoto universal 25 row kit as fitting the 4.6. Has anyone used that one? Worth it? Are the lines long enough?
I’ve been pricing out stuff and I came up with a Derale 25 row cooler, sandwich plate, and the amount of line I’ll probably need for about the same money.
Doing some rough measuring behind the bumper, where is everyone mounting these things? I feel like in the lower grille you’d be getting close to the ground to keep it below the bumper support, and above the bumper support the grill seems pretty small, so a fair amount ends up behind the support, and the horns seem to end up in the way.

We have been discussing oil coolers in the “club spec” group on facebook did a lot of searching and couldn’t really come up with a good answer. Does the 3v need an oil cooler for track work or am I looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist? I’ve seen plenty of stuff about the 5.0s while searching.

Some places are selling the mishimoto universal 25 row kit as fitting the 4.6. Has anyone used that one? Worth it? Are the lines long enough?
I’ve been pricing out stuff and I came up with a Derale 25 row cooler, sandwich plate, and the amount of line I’ll probably need for about the same money.
Doing some rough measuring behind the bumper, where is everyone mounting these things? I feel like in the lower grille you’d be getting close to the ground to keep it below the bumper support, and above the bumper support the grill seems pretty small, so a fair amount ends up behind the support, and the horns seem to end up in the way.
If you are a fast driver and run in the heat, it absolutely does :)

I have roughly ~80 track days on this setup and it has been flawless. It also gives you the ability to install real, auxiliary gauges for oil temp and oil pressure, which are invaluable on track for long term health.

The only con to this setup is if you run a thicker than factory front sway bar, you need to run a smaller oil filter. Amsoil EA 15K-50 is the filter I have ran. If I were to do it again, I would do a remote mounted filter, but didn't want to R&D that at the time and have stuck with this setup. The below items represent a "plug and play" solution other than the mounting of the oil cooler itself:

Parts are pictured below:

Improved racing:
1722112890297.png

Mishimoto:
1722112926931.png

Amsoil:
1722113044484.png

If you are a fast driver and run in the heat, it absolutely does :)

I have roughly ~80 track days on this setup and it has been flawless. It also gives you the ability to install real, auxiliary gauges for oil temp and oil pressure, which are invaluable on track for long term health.

The only con to this setup is if you run a thicker than factory front sway bar, you need to run a smaller oil filter. Amsoil EA 15K-50 is the filter I have ran. If I were to do it again, I would do a remote mounted filter, but didn't want to R&D that at the time and have stuck with this setup. The below items represent a "plug and play" solution other than the mounting of the oil cooler itself:

Parts are pictured below:

Improved racing:
View attachment 97236

Mishimoto:
View attachment 97237

Amsoil:
View attachment 97238
How bad is it to get the filter off? I was taking some measurements this morning and it seems like I only have about 1.5” to my sway bar. The plate is close to that tall, not accounting for the threads. Looks like the filter you use is about .25 shorter than the one I have currently.
I had some heat issues at mid Ohio so now I’m back to trying to find a solution before pittrace in 2 weeks.

How bad is it to get the filter off? I was taking some measurements this morning and it seems like I only have about 1.5” to my sway bar. The plate is close to that tall, not accounting for the threads. Looks like the filter you use is about .25 shorter than the one I have currently.
I had some heat issues at mid Ohio so now I’m back to trying to find a solution before pittrace in 2 weeks.
Did you look for a smaller filter that would still do the job?
As for the heat did you think about heat shielding?

Super easy with the Amsoil I linked, impossible with any other filter. I run a strano front sway bar, not sure of the thickness but perhaps you have a much thicker front bar?

Super easy with the Amsoil I linked, impossible with any other filter. I run a strano front sway bar, not sure of the thickness but perhaps you have a much thicker front bar?
It’s a 35mm front bar so I’m not sure how that compares to strano. It’s the same diameter as his current “club spec” bar. I believe I found a filter with the same dimensions roughly. I was grabbing some off the shelf with the proper thread pitch and measuring. I ordered the mishimoto thermostatic universal kit because I get a decent deal on them so we will see.

Did you look for a smaller filter that would still do the job?
As for the heat did you think about heat shielding?
I think I have a filter that will work, I’ll report back once I make sure for the good of the forum.
I meant heat related issues as in the car was getting hot. We aren’t allowed additional cooling other than an oil cooler, so I’ll be writing a letter as well to recommend radiator replacements for our class as well. Oil cooler will be on before the next TT.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel