The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Advice Needed For Race Suit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Danbury, CT
Hey all,
I'm pretty new here and am looking for some wisdom in buying a fire suit. I'm 6'5" and 205 lbs so I can't buy off the rack. Need something tailored to fit. The budget is around $1k. Anyone got any tips on where to go, what features to look for and whether I need FIA cert if I decide to race AER, NASA or SCCA?
Thanks!

Big can of worms, you will need to check the particular rulebook, but FIA cert will be good for about everything. HOWEVER, if you don't need the FIA cert, you may find one that is less expensive. Try to find a suit that won't require you to wear under wear ( I think a 3.2A/5 will do it) If you add underwear, it will increase the cert level. I would also recommend a 1 piece, so if you are bailing out of a car, the top won't pull up and expose your body. Although a 2 piece is more convenient. Also, a slightly baggy suit is better than a tailored one, as the air space equates to insulation.
These guys are pretty reasonable.

Also, I prefer the collar that wraps around the helmet rather than the balaclava, if they'll let you run one.
Don't forget EVERYTHING needs to meet spec, shoes, Sox, gloves and helmets

SFI ( which is NOT FIA) specs here..

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I like the Racequip ones as they are very affordable, though I did add the underwear to be responsible. The size range is huge. My 6'8" 300lb friend fit in one with room to spare. There is a video n the website to help find a size.

I like the Racequip ones as they are very affordable, though I did add the underwear to be responsible. The size range is huge. My 6'8" 300lb friend fit in one with room to spare. There is a video n the website to help find a size.

I hate wearing the underwear, so I buy the up rated suit so I don't have to, then if I decided to say.. run a top fuel dragster one day, I can just wear the underwear along with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors