The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best enclosed trailer for an F150?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Just bought a new Tremor F150 and looking to upgrade to a enclosed trailer. I have a very nice futura trailer now however I am looking to get an enclosed to carry more gear and tools. Also keeps the race car out of the elements.

Truck will tow 10900 pounds. I do have Sumosprings installed on it and I will buy a weight distribution hitch for it too.

Budget would be around 20-25k maybe 28k if really nice.

Any recommendations?

ATC and ITEC looks awesome but your right they get pricey....fast

You should always do a aluminum frame as @honeybadger vehemnetly drilled into my brain (for reseale)and An f-150 i wouldn't go over 24ft…..28ft is max for bumper pull before u go into gooseneck for safety.

My ATC i love even thiugh theres some build quality nit picks. Intech and ATC are the same company being miles from each other and constant employee turnover between them lol

TX
I towed 25k miles using a Gen 2 Raptor and a 24ft steel enclosed trailer with a weight distribution hitch and sumo springs then bags. We towed all over the PNW and did 7 trips down to CA - lots of mountain passes. When I moved to TX, we towed all over the area as well as did some trips to Road Atlanta and VIR.

20191123_154952.jpg

Regardless of what F150 you have - I wouldn't go over 24ft or a lighter 26ft trailer. It's not the power or brakes - it's the chassis. A big gust of wind or slippery conditions will push you around a good bit and it gets stressful. This is a 24ft - enough room to be reasonable and not stress the tow rig too much.

20191123_154920.jpg20191123_154931.jpg20191123_154858.jpg

These days I have a much bigger setup - and I'm not exaggerating when I say this is easier and less fatiguing. All due to the full ton dually and gooseneck (and triple axles). It's only more stressful parking and on small town roads (truck stops make fueling easier than the bumper pull).

IMG_0285.JPG

I don't share this to brag or say you need a bigger truck - but to give context into where my opinion comes from. With a 1/2 ton, please don't buy too much trailer unless you're willing to upgrade the truck fairly soon after. You'll just wear yourself out and not want to do long trips. 24ft AL ATC or InTech is the sweet spot.

@TMSBOSS is 100% right. Buy once, cry once. Get the right trailer first - they ain't getting any cheaper :)

I towed 25k miles using a Gen 2 Raptor and a 24ft steel enclosed trailer with a weight distribution hitch and sumo springs then bags. We towed all over the PNW and did 7 trips down to CA - lots of mountain passes. When I moved to TX, we towed all over the area as well as did some trips to Road Atlanta and VIR.

View attachment 91166

Regardless of what F150 you have - I wouldn't go over 24ft or a lighter 26ft trailer. It's not the power or brakes - it's the chassis. A big gust of wind or slippery conditions will push you around a good bit and it gets stressful. This is a 24ft - enough room to be reasonable and not stress the tow rig too much.

View attachment 91169View attachment 91168View attachment 91167

These days I have a much bigger setup - and I'm not exaggerating when I say this is easier and less fatiguing. All due to the full ton dually and gooseneck (and triple axles). It's only more stressful parking and on small town roads (truck stops make fueling easier than the bumper pull).

View attachment 91170

I don't share this to brag or say you need a bigger truck - but to give context into where my opinion comes from. With a 1/2 ton, please don't buy too much trailer unless you're willing to upgrade the truck fairly soon after. You'll just wear yourself out and not want to do long trips. 24ft AL ATC or InTech is the sweet spot.

@TMSBOSS is 100% right. Buy once, cry once. Get the right trailer first - they ain't getting any cheaper :)
Yeah, this. I had a 24' car trailer and towed it with my 2011 F150. It did fine, but....you had to have the WD/Sway set perfectly and you had to pay attention on windy days when trucks passed, or on heavily rutted highways or it would push you around. I was comfortable with it, but I would probably never let my wife or someone less experienced towing drive it.

I switched to a 40' Gooseneck trailer with 2500 SRW truck and it was amazing for stability. It only moved on massive cross wind days. I recently retired that truck (kept same trailer) and got a F350 Dually and even though the RAM 2500 was very, very good, the dually is back to "what trailer"? as in you can't feel it move the truck, ever.

I think the newer F150's are even better and will be fine with a 22-24' trailer. I wouldn't stress over weight, (mine towed the same regarding stability and mileage empty or full) but the resale on the aluminum ones is really good and the build quality seems very nice.

DaveW

Just bought a new Tremor F150 and looking to upgrade to a enclosed trailer. I have a very nice futura trailer now however I am looking to get an enclosed to carry more gear and tools. Also keeps the race car out of the elements.

Truck will tow 10900 pounds. I do have Sumosprings installed on it and I will buy a weight distribution hitch for it too.

Budget would be around 20-25k maybe 28k if really nice.

Any recommendations?

You may want to look at payload - towing weights in half ton trucks are basically irrelevant (especially when Ford shows 14k pounds) since you run out of payload much quicker before running of towing weight. I'd get the lightest you can for that reason.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I tow a 24ft bumper pull RV with my 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 6.5' box Max Tow. Truck is bone stock with Bilstein shocks and RAS rear suspension mod to mitigate some of the sag. Trailer weighs 8500-9000 lbs loaded. I have a ProPride hitch, its very expensive, you can pickup used ones at a reasonable price. Main issue using this hitch on a enclosed trailer is you need the first 30 inches of the A-Frame of the hitch relatively clear. Towing is very stable with this hitch, no sway, ever. I've pulled over 12,000 miles in the western mountains, AZ, NM, Texas, OK, Kansas, Nebraska(Mr. Pemberton), Iowa so plenty experience with bad crosswinds. Semis will push me over a bit and suck back but the trailer stays put, no wiggles, no dancing. If I'm towing its either a ProPride, gooseneck or 5th. I usually run 65-68 mph and those turbos make passing a breeze.
Ford won't build my perfect truck, 3/4 ton EcoBoost. A 1 ton Diesel with an exhaust brake is also an excellent towing vehicle I just don't have the space or cash for it.20220401_152957.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Thank you for all the help so far.

This is the one I am looking at however I would order one in black with cabinets.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sold Rams and Ford for around 27 years and honestly the new 5.7 Hemis or the 3.5 Ecoboosts are absolutely solid as a rock for even a steel 24 ft. trailer. I yanked around a 26 ft. steel with my 2014 Ram for 80,000 miles and sure it could have used a bit more umph up some small Mountains on the East Coast , but my new 2022 Ram does even better. I did sell my trailer and now I am occasionally pulling my son's 20Ft ATC and it barely feels like it is there. Friends with new EcoBoosts are dragging 22-24 ( couple have 26 footers ) around with no issue except fuel mileage and that, honestly is the only deterrent. To view it rationally , though, after having 3 Cummins Diesels, the total fuel costs over the years and the rougher ride made me switch years back to a 1/2 ton. If you opt for an ATC ( great trailer ) or another aluminum brand , you will find they do pull easier and whatever you get , like others , I would recommend an anti-sway bar set up.

Good luck and it seems some of the prices are starting to come down, since most folks were waiting for a trailer just a year or more ago and now you are seeing many Sale Priced right off the bat. May not be much, but that is still a change and Winter is a great time to buy a trailer - Spring usually sucks , ha!!

TX
Holey Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....that thing makes "the Long Long Trailer from 1953 look small..................LOLtwice!!!!!!!!!!!!..
I remember when I picked it up...I was shocked they just let me hook and drive away with it. It definitely takes getting used to on surface roads - it's about like a semi. The trailer is a full lane width inside of the truck on tight turns - so I have to take up two lanes turning on surface roads.

Tows like a dream tho. We drove back from NC to Texas through no less than 3 storm cells and never felt it get pushed sideways or drift. the triples have made me a fan
Lolol he‘s sucha show off lol. Kevins trailer is bigger than my house 😭😭😭😭😭

imma steal that tire rack idea. I never thought of doing that

edit: kevin dont forget uou have airbags on the raptor.
That tire rack idea was my single greatest idea with that trailer. Completely idiot proof and could carry 7 on the rack and one on the floor. Only have to watch out for your head. Club'd myself a couple of times before I figured it out
Thank you for all the help so far.

This is the one I am looking at however I would order one in black with cabinets.

looks like the right approach. Should work great for some long hauls :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I remember when I picked it up...I was shocked they just let me hook and drive away with it. It definitely takes getting used to on surface roads - it's about like a semi. The trailer is a full lane width inside of the truck on tight turns - so I have to take up two lanes turning on surface roads.

Tows like a dream tho. We drove back from NC to Texas through no less than 3 storm cells and never felt it get pushed sideways or drift. the triples have made me a fan

That tire rack idea was my single greatest idea with that trailer. Completely idiot proof and could carry 7 on the rack and one on the floor. Only have to watch out for your head. Club'd myself a couple of times before I figured it out

looks like the right approach. Should work great for some long hauls :)

Thanks Kevin,

Hopefully you will see it soon enough in TX! We need to put that together once your car is done. Road America will love that car.

TX
Thanks Kevin,

Hopefully you will see it soon enough in TX! We need to put that together once your car is done. Road America will love that car.
that's the goal. been getting my ass kicked by some migraine prevention drug side effects this month, but hoping to get back after it around Thanksgiving and get it running around new years. I'm on a mission to make it up to RA next year

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Featherlite, Sundowner, ATC, and Shadow all build quality aluminum trailers. I am not sure where you are at in Wisconsin, but have you considered R&R? They are a smaller custom builder in the SW corner of Michigan that mostly builds to order. I have one of their open car haulers and have been very happy with it and it was $1,000's less than other trailers I looked at.

TMO Supporting Vendors