The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
ArizonaBOSS said:
I think we just installed them on Tucson302's car a couple months back--not sure what we put in.

Yep sure did, well crap! Guess I should buy a new set of the good ones

I wonder why Cortex sells them if they suck so bad?

Drew,

I still have my cats and use the stock CAI, so my exhaust is not very loud. Terry has ARH, and after market CAI, an after market tune and the same exhaust; his is a lot louder. I think it was a couple hundred dollars plus install. I know that they tested Mark Smiths 302s and it came to 95 decibels.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Parts are starting to trickle in for the engine rebuild.

MMR's billet timing chain sprocket arrived today.

E35uwYm.png

I already pulled the trigger on a 302R head-changing kit from Rehagen as well as the second valve spring set I need to refresh all the valve springs while the heads are off.
Watson Racing's solid motor mounts and a Moroso 10-quart steel road-race pan are both en-route as well.
I chose steel over aluminum for durability & impact resistance/repairability vs. the weight savings of the aluminum pan; not to mention the price was $160 less for the steel pan.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
Sweet... Oil pan sounds nice.

What fuel are you going to be running in the new engine?

Torco straight 100 UL or Sunoco 260GT, depending on what is available locally. Need to verify the Torco 100 has at least 95 MON, but that info is only a phone call away.

Nice looking mounts. really surprized that there is very little tig weldig holding this mounts together. they dont look strong. But I'm no welder and may be wrong. Just an observation.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
superhero said:
Nice looking mounts. really surprized that there is very little tig weldig holding this mounts together. they dont look strong. But I'm no welder and may be wrong. Just an observation.

What's not shown in MY pictures is the slots and tabs that join the individual pieces together that are thoroughly TIGged together.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Aluminator short block arrives Tuesday.

Number of parts already in-house with the remainder arriving tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Stock engine being removed on the 20th.

Still need to order Coyote valve spring tool from Freedom Racing Tool & Die but will get that done in the next day or two.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fat Boss said:
It's going to be sick! You coming back out to the west coast again next year?

Yo!

I will be at Laguna again for NASA Nationals at the end of July.
I MAY be back for Thunderhill in August and/or Buttonwillow in October (NASA both times). Those depend on how nationals go and travel budget remaining etc.

We will be at Sonoma in February and December for LeMons, as well as Thunderhill in August.

Great. Just a warning- Thunderhill can be 105+* in August. Actually likely to be that hot. Spring and Fall is best there.

I'll try to meet up and cheer you on at some point. 8)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah, we were there for LeMons this year. It was WARM.

We'll see how that pans out, because I don't think I am willing to do back-to-back trips to THill from AZ in one month.

Fat Boss said:
Great. Just a warning- Thunderhill can be 105+* in August. Actually likely to be that hot. Spring and Fall is best there.

I'll try to meet up and cheer you on at some point. 8)
Actually it only gets above 105 in June when BMO is there! It was 108 when we were they this past June.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel