The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S650 Darkhorse R Mustang Challenge Car #58 Build Thread Profile - S650 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Two very bold moves that kept the 58 out of trouble and got us moved up two places to P2. Our tame racing driver was on it this weekend. Testing at Road America with Northwoods Shelby club July 4-6, so all who are picking up their Team shirts and anyone else that wants to stop in and talk please join us in the garages those days.
See you there!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
I know this is a "spec" class, but it would be fun to see a dyno sheet for a DHR, if you guys get bored :)
Do these cars have air jacks?
I know this is a "spec" class, but it would be fun to see a dyno sheet for a DHR, if you guys get bored :)
think i saw them up in that air at mid o

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Air Jacks will be an option. Pockets are already welded in the chassis.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Air Jacks will be an option. Pockets are already welded in the chassis.
Some cars are equipped but they are not homologated and are not allowed to be used on pit lane or false grid and are "actively discouraged" form use in the paddock. We were briefed on this before race 3 as Dean's cars have them as do others and the possibility of changing to wets on false grid was a distinct one.

Some cars are equipped but they are not homologated and are not allowed to be used on pit lane or false grid and are "actively discouraged" form use in the paddock. We were briefed on this before race 3 as Dean's cars have them as do others and the possibility of changing to wets on false grid was a distinct one.
I didn't see them on our cars, but I didn't look at all 3. The weldment brackets are there but no Jack's. ( you can see one of them on the car below)
With regards to the front straight wreck, from my perspective on pit lane, it looked like someone up front either missed, or was slow to shift and the whole thing just accordianed.
The car was hit very hard, the first on the left taking out the cage, suspension and cutting through the rocker. It was so hard it imprinted the door bars on the panel.
car is basically done.
20240622_092932.jpg3376321725869117713.jpg

Last edited:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
@blacksheep-1 so does the customer buy a new one? Or done for the season
I don't know what the plan is, but new bodies in white are available so transferring the many good parts over and rebuilding the car is probably what will happen eventually. Dean doesn't give up easily.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I used to get track day insurance, but the cost of it was about as much as the track day cost itself. If I owed money on my car I'd likely still get insurance, but I look at the car as an expendable and if I dump it then that's on me. When I was racing I ran without insurance because at that time no one was offering insurance for racing events.
Biggest thing with track days is to know your skill level and NEVER GO 10/10ths. NEVER! That's when the bad shite starts to happen.
Track days aren't racing (in spite of the many participants and pundits who insist on calling it racing) so why push it to the max?

Last edited:
More fake news. No cracking without contact. Unless @blacksheep-1 has information to the contrary.
Nope, no issues without contact, but those pigs weigh almost 60 pounds all by themselves, they weigh more that the GS wheel and tire combined.
With regards to track day insurance, that is why I track beaters, in case I write one off, and in spite of what people spend, I took Pemberton's advice and usually register for the intermediate class so I can stay away from the $200K cars and the $20 dollar driver.
Back in the day we burned down a $500K Porsche, deductible was $40K, it was at a race in Utah, so race insurance is available.l

@blacksheep-1 What kind of track insurance? I did not think you could when its a "RACE" only HPDE
I don't know, I've seen it on that Porsche and an Audi team that I worked for. In the case of the Audi, I understood that after the payout, the company dropped the guy because he was screwing up too much.
I was also around when they took pics of the crash damage for the insurance company, but I don't recall the name.

TMO Supporting Vendors