The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DTM to regulate sunlight now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SE Virginia
Yes, in an effort to decrease global warming and give auto racing a more inclusive style of competition, DTM is now considering regulating sunlight... This is laughable, but true, for other reasons, I just couldn't help mocking them.

That was a wheel manufacturer, who owns a racing team, pestering DTM officials to add to a rule.

Abt was peeved about other teams getting more sunlight in their pit areas, and wanted DTM to do something about it. I think it sounds petty, on Abt's part. Once the race tires go on the car, don't they get heated to 150F or so? Doesn't it quickly become irrelevant whether your tires sat in the sun beforehand?

That was a wheel manufacturer, who owns a racing team, pestering DTM officials to add to a rule.

Abt was peeved about other teams getting more sunlight in their pit areas, and wanted DTM to do something about it. I think it sounds petty, on Abt's part. Once the race tires go on the car, don't they get heated to 150F or so? Doesn't it quickly become irrelevant whether your tires sat in the sun beforehand?
Not really, the first few laps are the best ones on sticker tires, so it is important that they are hot as possible before going on the car. I always set tires out for pre heating in qualifying or, when I'm trying to match pressures to an existing set of tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors