The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fair market value for my track Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have been a member of TMO for several years and have used all of your expertise in turning my street Boss into a track weapon. I have enjoyed every minute driving and wrenching on my car but things have changed in my life and I will need to see she goes to a new owner. I was hoping you can give me an idea of a fair market value before I try listing it. I have included as much as I can remember below. If you can also recommend some websites where I can list it (other than CL to start) that would also be appreciated.

2013 Boss 302 with 14,500 miles.

Fresh motor and transmission plus other new parts with less than 2 hours of break-in track duty assembled/installed and dyno tuned in July by Revolution Automotive in Maryland (E85 and 100 gas tunes) making 500 rwhp on E85

MOTOR: includes new Gen 3 Coyote short block, Boss heads cleaned, prepped and new Livernois higher-rate springs installed by Slawko Race Engines in Morgantown, ported CJ intake manifold with twin TB and Ford Racing CAI, larger fuel injectors, L&M intake cams, all new timing gear with MMR billet chain guides, Ford Racing GT350 lash adjustors and roller finger followers, GT500 baffled oil pan, oil pump and high volume pick up tube, Innovators West aluminum harmonic balancer, MMR billet rear main seal retainer plate, MMR billet high-rpm competition pulse ring, Ford Racing pilot bearing, Exedy Hyper Single clutch with new TOB, Meziere electric water pump, Peterson oil catch can, Swaintech coated Kooks LTH with X-pipe, new Fluidyne triple pass radiator, custom Setrab 968 oil cooler with RaceFlux -12AN hose, GT500 radiator fan, new Ford Racing high torque starter and alternator

DRIVETRAIN: Ford Racing aluminum DS, CHE K-member brace with engine torque limiters, Tru Trac LS differential with 3:31 final drive

BRAKES: AP Racing race-spec 6 piston calipers with new two-piece rotors and 25mm Ferodo endurance pads, Ford Racing race ABS module (out of production), Vorshlag brake cooling deflectors with ducting, new GT500 13.8 in rear rotors and rear track pads, steering rack limiters, ARP extended wheel studs front and rear

SUSPENSION: JRi double adjustable coilovers with 500/300 rate springs and Vorshlag camber plates, 3 rear sway bars and 2 front sway bars (currently Strano hollow 32mm), Cortex Watts link and torque arm; Steeda front control arms; Kenny Brown aluminum rear lower control arms with threaded spherical rod ends

AERO: APR rear race wing, custom front splitter with support rods, Hartman canards, carbon fiber Tiger Racing hood (race proven), CDC open front grille (also have Roush, stock Boss)

INTERIOR: Sparco race seat with removable helmet supports, fresh driver 6-pt race belts, MGW shifter (best MT-82 shifter on market), Auto Blip rev match module, Laguna Seca dash gauge pod with oil/water/oil pressure, removable steering wheel with custom removable Garmin Catalyst mount ($1,000 Garmin Catalyst included), Watson Racing roll bar with added door bars, shift light

MISC: front and rear tow hooks, Shelby divorced clutch fluid reservoir, Antigravity lightweight lithium battery with custom Morrison Engineering mount, 4 sets of 18x11 Apex aluminum wheels and 7 brand new Continental 315 race slicks, Pirelli rain tire set (lightly used), 19" stock aluminum wheels and tires for transport and mounted 305 slicks with 5 heat cycles, 2 cases of 15W-50 synthetic oil and several K&N and Ford Racing filters, Redline MTL, (2) 52 gallon drums with Sunoco race E85 (40 gallons) and pump E80 (40 gallons) + rotory pump, SCT hand tuner (stock, 100 race gas, E85 tunes installed), original Boss 302 car cover and owner's kit

SPARE: original Boss front hood with hydraulic hood lifts, original rear trunk lid with a Steeda race wing installed, extra front hubs, alternator, starter, rotors, various stock parts and extra fasteners plus what's in my attic

Thanks
Chris

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One of the items I would stress when you sell is that the car has a title and therefore in many States would be street legal ( likely those that do not require emissions testing). This is a double bonus as many would love to be able to drive on the street, but also with a title/street credit, it could be financed. Pretty much a pain to try and finance a race car, so make sure this is known. Good luck and hopefully someone on here looking for a real Track Horse will see your SBY machine and get in touch!?

I have been a member of TMO for several years and have used all of your expertise in turning my street Boss into a track weapon. I have enjoyed every minute driving and wrenching on my car but things have changed in my life and I will need to see she goes to a new owner. I was hoping you can give me an idea of a fair market value before I try listing it. I have included as much as I can remember below. If you can also recommend some websites where I can list it (other than CL to start) that would also be appreciated.

Fresh motor and transmission plus other new parts with less than 2 hours of break-in track duty assembled/installed and dyno tuned in July by Revolution Automotive in Maryland (E85 and 100 gas tunes) making 500 rwhp on E85

MOTOR: includes new Gen 3 Coyote short block, Boss heads cleaned, prepped and new Livernois higher-rate springs installed by Slawko Race Engines in Morgantown, ported CJ intake manifold with twin TB and Ford Racing CAI, larger fuel injectors, L&M intake cams, all new timing gear with MMR billet chain guides, Ford Racing GT350 lash adjustors and roller finger followers, GT500 baffled oil pan, oil pump and high volume pick up tube, Innovators West aluminum harmonic balancer, MMR billet rear main seal retainer plate, MMR billet high-rpm competition pulse ring, Ford Racing pilot bearing, Exedy Hyper Single clutch with new TOB, Meziere electric water pump, Peterson oil catch can, Swaintech coated Kooks LTH with X-pipe, new Fluidyne triple pass radiator, custom Setrab 968 oil cooler with RaceFlux -12AN hose, GT500 radiator fan, new Ford Racing high torque starter and alternator

DRIVETRAIN: Ford Racing aluminum DS, CHE K-member brace with engine torque limiters, Tru Trac LS differential with 3:31 final drive

BRAKES: AP Racing race-spec 6 piston calipers with new two-piece rotors and 25mm Ferodo endurance pads, Ford Racing race ABS module (out of production), Vorshlag brake cooling deflectors with ducting, new GT500 13.8 in rear rotors and rear track pads, steering rack limiters, ARP extended wheel studs front and rear

SUSPENSION: JRi double adjustable coilovers with 500/300 rate springs and Vorshlag camber plates, 3 rear sway bars and 2 front sway bars (currently Strano hollow 32mm), Cortex Watts link and torque arm; Steeda front control arms; Kenny Brown aluminum rear lower control arms with threaded spherical rod ends

AERO: APR rear race wing, custom front splitter with support rods, Hartman canards, carbon fiber Tiger Racing hood (race proven), CDC open front grille (also have Roush, stock Boss)

INTERIOR: Sparco race seat with removable helmet supports, fresh driver 6-pt race belts, MGW shifter (best MT-82 shifter on market), Auto Blip rev match module, Laguna Seca dash gauge pod with oil/water/oil pressure, removable steering wheel with custom removable Garmin Catalyst mount ($1,000 Garmin Catalyst included), Watson Racing roll bar with added door bars, shift light

MISC: front and rear tow hooks, Shelby divorced clutch fluid reservoir, Antigravity lightweight lithium battery with custom Morrison Engineering mount, 4 sets of 18x11 Apex aluminum wheels and 7 brand new Continental 315 race slicks, Pirelli rain tire set (lightly used), 19" stock aluminum wheels and tires for transport and mounted 305 slicks with 5 heat cycles, 2 cases of 15W-50 synthetic oil and several K&N and Ford Racing filters, Redline MTL, (2) 52 gallon drums with Sunoco race E85 (40 gallons) and pump E80 (40 gallons) + rotory pump, SCT hand tuner (stock, 100 race gas, E85 tunes installed), original Boss 302 car cover and owner's kit

SPARE: original Boss front hood with hydraulic hood lifts, original rear trunk lid with a Steeda race wing installed, extra front hubs, alternator, starter, rotors, various stock parts and extra fasteners plus what's in my attic

Thanks
Chris
It sounds like a great track build. I am out of sequence with your car being offered as I started last April going down the rabbit hole on the reclamation/track upgrade of my ‘14 GT. If you are planning to sell some original take off parts, I would be interested.

Tim

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You may want to look into Boss4me's thoughts if you don't get your car sold in the next few months. You have done more than many so there is a good chance someone who wants a car really ready for the track, but keep in mind the track market is around 15-20% of the market and then there is another 20-30% posers who think they want to track. Finally, the balance of folks are not interested in track cars ( sad to say ) so that is your market. I would definitely try selling it the way it is as it is :
1. a great and highly prized color
2. the mods are substantial and well thought out
3. items done are expensive and a real buyer will notice and be interested ( engine and tranny for instance
4. It is streetable

If after awhile selling some items may allow you to lower the price while still getting solid funds by selling items that in reality do not affect a buyer's mindset. Good examples would be like an extra set of wheels, some stock parts , etc.

Good luck , beautiful machine and I can imagine there are some folks out there thinking about this car yet you do need to post your price.

Thanks for your thoughts. Other than missing the horn and catalytic converters (I have the Kooks hi-flow units) it should pass inspection and get registered so that's a good point.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There are some States where it will not even pass with the cats ( one related ), but letting folks know they are available is good and they should know the rules where they live. The fact that it has a title is the big bonus , as financing availability is always huge since it opens up more buyers.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If no one bites on TMO classifieds, it's a good fit for RackingJunk.com. If you have a subscription to Grassroots Motorsport magazine, you can put in a classified ad for free.

If you don't already know, it might help to take the time to read a few of the NASA and SCCA rulebooks to determine what time trial / W2W classes it's legal in, or could be with a few easy changes (or ballast weight), and include something like, "Legal in NASA xxx and SCCA yyy, can be easily converted to SCCA zzz." Some of the TMO members with more experience on those venues could probably help if you make a "What NASA/SCCA classes is my car legal in?" post. Just be sure that if you say it's legal for a class, it's 100% legal.

FYI if it is sold in PA and the person wants it to be streetable it definitely will not pass emissions testing in the counties that require. The good news is if they have a garage that is willing to document and submit $150 worth of work trying to rectify the failed emissions ( O2 sensors will cover that) they will end up with an emissions waver for the first year of registration. After that they will need to maintain less than 5000 miles per year to maintain an emissions exemption status with yearly inspections. If it's a primarily a HPDE car with occasional street driving it's not that hard to keep it below 5000K/per year. Hope this helps if sold to a emissions required PA person.

FYI if it is sold in PA and the person wants it to be streetable it definitely will not pass emissions testing in the counties that require. The good news is if they have a garage that is willing to document and submit $150 worth of work trying to rectify the failed emissions ( O2 sensors will cover that) they will end up with an emissions waver for the first year of registration. After that they will need to maintain less than 5000 miles per year to maintain an emissions exemption status with yearly inspections. If it's a primarily a HPDE car with occasional street driving it's not that hard to keep it below 5000K/per year. Hope this helps if sold to a emissions required PA person.
It's a gutted out track car.......can't imagine anyone wanting to try and get it back to legal but I guess it's possible with some work. Before it went full-track, I was able to get the 5,000 mile waiver and keep it on the street.

If no one bites on TMO classifieds, it's a good fit for RackingJunk.com. If you have a subscription to Grassroots Motorsport magazine, you can put in a classified ad for free.

If you don't already know, it might help to take the time to read a few of the NASA and SCCA rulebooks to determine what time trial / W2W classes it's legal in, or could be with a few easy changes (or ballast weight), and include something like, "Legal in NASA xxx and SCCA yyy, can be easily converted to SCCA zzz." Some of the TMO members with more experience on those venues could probably help if you make a "What NASA/SCCA classes is my car legal in?" post. Just be sure that if you say it's legal for a class, it's 100% legal.
I don't know anything about NASA classes. For SCCA, I would imagine this is a T1 car but I'm sure it would need some tweaks to qualify.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
California
you could also list this car for sale on bringatrailer or carsandbids. I've never done the process. However, you should be able to put a reserve price on there that you want to get, that way you at minimum get an amount you are ok with.

Thanks
Chris
FWIW, my '13 Laguna Seca was auctioned at Mecum today, January 10, hammer was $36,000 (Lot 226.1). Certainly seems low for a 14,000 mile LS. I had made the usual suspension upgrades and other improvements to shifter, etc for track purposes but it certainly looked great in person and in pics.

you could also list this car for sale on bringatrailer or carsandbids. I've never done the process. However, you should be able to put a reserve price on there that you want to get, that way you at minimum get an amount you are ok with.
I am planning to list the car on BaT with a reserve when completed on the advice of a TMO member who sold an almost identical car to mine and who helped me with a splitter project. His car had a full cage installed where mine is a rollbar and added door bars. I have more upgrades in my car, more extras that will go with the car and a new motor and upgraded transmission. His car was damaged in a crash and repaired and mine was not. He got $40K and his car was immaculate and very well done. I think I have a car that is at least pretty close in condition but brings some other positives that should demand a higher premium. I guess time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

Never heard of carsandbids so I will check it out.

FWIW, my '13 Laguna Seca was auctioned at Mecum today, January 10, hammer was $36,000 (Lot 226.1). Certainly seems low for a 14,000 mile LS. I had made the usual suspension upgrades and other improvements to shifter, etc for track purposes but it certainly looked great in person and in pics.
That definitely surprises me. I would have thought it would bring over 40K

You never get back what you put into a car, that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!..........A Boss is a car that has a legend attached to it..........that means something to some buyers....My Boss means more than that to me........That's why mine is not for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......$50K......I might consider......probably not, said the wise man....when He woke up...#1886 stays with me!! and Son.;)

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Auctions are always tricky - it's not a matter of how much one person is willing to spend, it's a matter of how much two people are willing to spend.

Old folks, like me are driving Cadillacs and Mercedes...........What the heck am I doing making noise in a 2012 Boss 302??????.......simple answer................HAVING FUN!!!!!!!!!!!...we all get old, but some of us still have fun...............right Hon??............I know, Quit while you're ahead........She keeps hiding those Boss keys......................

TMO Supporting Vendors