The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Focus RS is Coming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: focus rs coming

'aspirational' as in Halo car for the brand / sub-brand. kids can aspire to own the car (not own it)...like we had posters of cars we'd never be able to own on our walls.
agreed on the automatic / vs stick comment...I think Ford is lagging behind more than is good for it in the tranny area. (but, hey, at least they seemed to have awoken in the arena of brakes)
don't agree, at all, that people will cross-shop this with challengers and 370z's...and, to a large extent, many buyers of the RS won't cross-shop it with anything...many will simply be brand loyalists who want the newest / best Ford has to offer.

Mixed opinions about this new RS

Happy to see that it's AWD, but the design is a little bit of a letdown

Was hoping for some wider fenders and more aggressive styling

Still looks too much like an econobox to me

fuhrius said:
'aspirational' as in Halo car for the brand / sub-brand. kids can aspire to own the car (not own it)...like we had posters of cars we'd never be able to own on our walls.
agreed on the automatic / vs stick comment...I think Ford is lagging behind more than is good for it in the tranny area. (but, hey, at least they seemed to have awoken in the arena of brakes)
don't agree, at all, that people will cross-shop this with challengers and 370z's...and, to a large extent, many buyers of the RS won't cross-shop it with anything...many will simply be brand loyalists who want the newest / best Ford has to offer.

Angus MacKenzie talks about cross shopping on the last page of the February issue of Motor Trend. Auto marketing people think people shop in neat categories, but they don't. For example, when I bought my 2006 Mazdaspeed6, the other two cars I test drove were a Pontiac GTO and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Many people are looking for the best "deal", and "deal" doesn't necessarily mean Accord vs. Camry vs. Optima, or RS vs. STi vs. Golf R. I guarantee some people will go in looking at a Mustang GT and come out with an RS, and I guarantee some people will have their hearts set on an RS until they realize they can get an M235i for the same money on a lease.

At $40K the RS is going to be a tough sell. I don't think the 2015 Mustang GT is going to do any better at the $36K+ sticker. These are different economic times. The GT and RS are aimed at 20-somethings, but a very high percentage of 20-somethings can't touch the price of these cars. Obviously, Ford doesn't expect 1960's sales numbers from these, but I think they are going to be disappointed when all is said and done. If they sell more RS than they did Boss 302's, I'll be shocked. I don't see the RS as a "halo" that will sell more Focuses any more than I see the STi selling Imprezas.

coboss said:
Angus MacKenzie talks about cross shopping on the last page of the February issue of Motor Trend. Auto marketing people think people shop in neat categories, but they don't. For example, when I bought my 2006 Mazdaspeed6, the other two cars I test drove were a Pontiac GTO and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Many people are looking for the best "deal", and "deal" doesn't necessarily mean Accord vs. Camry vs. Optima, or RS vs. STi vs. Golf R. I guarantee some people will go in looking at a Mustang GT and come out with an RS, and I guarantee some people will have their hearts set on an RS until they realize they can get an M235i for the same money on a lease.

At $40K the RS is going to be a tough sell. I don't think the 2015 Mustang GT is going to do any better at the $36K+ sticker. These are different economic times. The GT and RS are aimed at 20-somethings, but a very high percentage of 20-somethings can't touch the price of these cars. Obviously, Ford doesn't expect 1960's sales numbers from these, but I think they are going to be disappointed when all is said and done. If they sell more RS than they did Boss 302's, I'll be shocked. I don't see the RS as a "halo" that will sell more Focuses any more than I see the STi selling Imprezas.

I think we've lost track of the purpose of this thread. This is supposed to be about how freakin' cool the new RS is. (it's pretty cool). As an ex-auto industry marketing guy myself, I'll just have to wrap my part of the thread by saying that I largely disagree with your views on auto purchase behavior. Your cross-shopping pattern can be extrapolated to some people, certainly, but really not that many people. I agree that the categories aren't as distinct these days but your speed6 / GTO / Cherokee cross-shop is a statistical outlier. I can also guarantee that someone walks in looking at a gt and walks out with an RS...it certainly will happen, it's just not going to be the norm.
The RS is a brand halo car...for Focus, Ford, Ecoboost (and any other sub-brand that they attach to it). It's, sort of, the definition of a halo car. What other possible rationale would Ford have for building a car that we all know will be a niche play, whether that be a supply-driven constraint or a demand-driven constraint? Are they doing it for sales volume, profit, CAFE?

Now, what I'm really trying to get my head around is how that 'torque vectoring' system is going to feel. I'm not a big fan of brake-based torque vectoring...while it's effective in the short run it's hard on brakes and feels a little artificial (as it's done in the focus st, for instance). But this clutch-pack system that can get 70% of available torque to the outside-rear wheel (I believe what they've said is that the center diff can send 70% of power to the rear and that the rear clutches can send 100% of that power to one side)...sounds like it may be used in conjunction with, not in lieu of, the brake-based system...but we'll find our more as they provide more details...that sounds good. I hope it's driver-adjustable as it is in the sti and some audi's.

VTBoss302 said:
Mixed opinions about this new RS

Happy to see that it's AWD, but the design is a little bit of a letdown

Was hoping for some wider fenders and more aggressive styling

Still looks too much like an econobox to me

I was hoping for something more aggressive too. in an interview I saw with the exterior design guy (I think it was the EVO interview) he was asked about that too. He wasn't all that impressive, I didn't think...but he did design the fiesta rally / rally cross car and they look bitchin'. He was asked about the width and he suggested that it was 5mm wider in the rear (BFD) but that the real issue was that given the cost constraints, they wanted to focus (no punn intended) on the drivetrain versus the body panels. I like that answer. Would have liked it better if they'd done both ;-) but I'll have to see it in person and see about ride height / wheel width changes before I add fender flares. (assuming I can get my hands on one)

fuhrius said:
Now, what I'm really trying to get my head around is how that 'torque vectoring' system is going to feel. I'm not a big fan of brake-based torque vectoring...while it's effective in the short run it's hard on brakes and feels a little artificial (as it's done in the focus st, for instance). But this clutch-pack system that can get 70% of available torque to the outside-rear wheel (I believe what they've said is that the center diff can send 70% of power to the rear and that the rear clutches can send 100% of that power to one side)...sounds like it may be used in conjunction with, not in lieu of, the brake-based system...but we'll find our more as they provide more details...that sounds good. I hope it's driver-adjustable as it is in the sti and some audi's.

RS-AWD_zpsscwtwt47.jpg

fuhrius said:
great piece. thanks for posting. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

It's an interesting AWD system, but like you mentioned earlier I'm not thrilled that it still uses some brake-based torque vectoring

Those brakes are going to get a serious workout on the track

Would have been nice if Ford put a proper LSD up front, although that can be a tricky thing to do in an AWD vehicle like this and still maintain ABS

Am I the only one that would love to see it in a 2 door like the euro spec RS? Granted the 4 door is cool looking, but since I don't have the kids to haul around anymore a 2 door would be much cooler.

A couple of photos from the Gevena Auto show. I like these wheels better.

screen-shot-2015-03-02-at-21.52.05.jpg

screen-shot-2015-03-02-at-21.52.26.jpg

Presently I own to many cars, including 2 focuses. However 1 focus is long in the tooth with nearly 300k of miles, and probably 10k of those on the AutoX course.

If Ford can deliver this car in the 35k range I'm in. My understanding there is no official pricing yet, is that correct?

askjeffro said:
Presently I own to many cars, including 2 focuses. However 1 focus is long in the tooth with nearly 300k of miles, and probably 10k of those on the AutoX course.

If Ford can deliver this car in the 35k range I'm in. My understanding there is no official pricing yet, is that correct?

No official pricing yet.

I seriously doubt the Focus RS comes in at $35K. The rumors I've read are $40K base (Probably $39,995!), options on top of that. Some think it may sticker closer to $45K. Hell, a loaded 2015 Mustang GT is $45K. These prices are crazy.

coboss said:
No official pricing yet.

I seriously doubt the Focus RS comes in at $35K. The rumors I've read are $40K base (Probably $39,995!), options on top of that. Some think it may sticker closer to $45K. Hell, a loaded 2015 Mustang GT is $45K. These prices are crazy.

I'll have to wait to see actual performance and technology baked in before making a final call, but honestly at those levels I'd see myself opting out. Probably just pickup a Fiesta ST at that point. So I'm not sure if Ford would notice/care I opted out. :)

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626

A little light and confirmation regarding pricing for the RS. Would love a GT350R or TP, but the RS might be a better fit right now in several regards. Not a bad time for a car guy, regardless!

"If you win one of the two grand prizes from Monster Energy, you can choose between a Fiesta, Focus, or Mustang valued up to $40,000. However, the contest promo materials hype that you can win two of the 2,000 2016 Focus RS available next year, which seems to clear up three questions. 1.) The new RS will be a 2016 model, 2.) there will be 2,000 sold in the United States, and 3.) it will come in under $40,000."

NeuRon said:
A little light and confirmation regarding pricing for the RS. Would love a GT350R or TP, but the RS might be a better fit right now in several regards. Not a bad time for a car guy, regardless!

"If you win one of the two grand prizes from Monster Energy, you can choose between a Fiesta, Focus, or Mustang valued up to $40,000. However, the contest promo materials hype that you can win two of the 2,000 2016 Focus RS available next year, which seems to clear up three questions. 1.) The new RS will be a 2016 model, 2.) there will be 2,000 sold in the United States, and 3.) it will come in under $40,000."

My guess is $39,995 base, with destination it will be over $40K. Add in options and you'll go over $45K. VW and Subaru have no trouble selling at that price point.

I will be looking for this car in a few years when the Boss is paid off and want to give it some more garage time. I will see how the RS develops and make a decision based on seeing them on the street for a while. I am one of those buyers that Ford loves. I only buy Ford so I don't compare or look at anything else. Very narrow minded but I have not been disappointed yet and I love the way the RS is shaping up.

TMO Supporting Vendors