The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford performance driveshaft vibration at 130mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Central Florida
Recently had a one piece ford performance driveshaft installed and my first Impressions were great.

However when on track driving at higher speeds it vibrates. Starts around 120mph and by 130-140 it’s really bad. My car has the cortex torque arm so there’s no adjustment on the pinion angle.

Has anyone else had this issue. Is it worth taking it off and getting it rebalanced?
I’ve heard great reviews with the QA1 carbon shaft but that’s nearly $2k and if it still vibrates I’ll be pissed.
Would prefer not to put the oem two piece shaft back on as it clunks really badly. Can anything be replaced within the oem shaft to make it smoother?
Thanks

Recently had a one piece ford performance driveshaft installed and my first Impressions were great.

However when on track driving at higher speeds it vibrates. Starts around 120mph and by 130-140 it’s really bad. My car has the cortex torque arm so there’s no adjustment on the pinion angle.

Has anyone else had this issue. Is it worth taking it off and getting it rebalanced?
I’ve heard great reviews with the QA1 carbon shaft but that’s nearly $2k and if it still vibrates I’ll be pissed.
Would prefer not to put the oem two piece shaft back on as it clunks really badly. Can anything be replaced within the oem shaft to make it smoother?
Thanks
Mike_FL,

Not sure if this will help but there is a company making replacement bushings for the intermediate support. I have not had need of this (yet) but Mustang owners have reported great results with the new bushing parts. Here's the link: https://www.jxbperformance.com/prod...eshaft-center-support-bearing-carrier-upgrade

HTH,

Chris

Thanks
IMO stay away from the carbon shafts. They are not used in production car racing to any great degree. They have lots of issues due to chips and misc road hazard damage.

The fast and dirty thing to do is to
" clock" the driveshaft 180 degrees and try it again. At that point, if it still exists, is to get it balanced.

Thanks, think I’m going to remove it and get it rebalanced. Do you have anywhere that you could recommend in Florida?
Im not going to know if it’s fixed unless I go back to Sebring.
Don’t think Florida state troopers will appreciate me testing at 130mph on the i4 lol

Thanks I’ll check them out. Someone also recommended precision shaft technology over in Clearwater

I already have a thread on this from my old car. See if you can find that.

I can tell you that mine we think was due to the tourqe tube. This not allowing for perfect degrees from the engine to trans to diff. ONLY felt in the car over 140+
Found the thread.

My ford performance driveshaft is great on the street and at smaller tracks with a lower top speed. I’m guessing it’s only balanced to a certain speed/revolutions thinking that they won’t be exceeded by most people??

I had no issue with my QA1 driveshaft with speed above 150MPH at VIR.

To me the greatest advantage to a carbon drive shaft beside the weight saving is, if it decide to fail, it won't poke a hole trough the floor or bite the ground and send you flying. It will just disintegrate into millions of pieces.

I currently have it on sale because I'm switching to a different trans otherwise I'll still run it.

PM me if you want more info

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel