The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Brake Upgrade Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Sexy time.

I can't say for certain on the Ford 15" brakes, but the 18x10.5" Enkeis do clear the Brembo 15" Pro Kit. Not by much.
If someone could get a decent radial measurement of the OEM Brembo caliper installed, we might be able to do a comparison vs. the Brembo Pro Kit drawings. I won't put money on it, though.
Hey, what is the part number for the Brembo 15" pro kit?

Thanks,
BT

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BigTaco said:
Hey, what is the part number for the Brembo 15" pro kit?

Thanks,
BT

It's not a 1-PN "kit", unfortunately. Brian and Paul at PAE got me all squared away with my kit.

@PAEracing and/or @74mach can you chime in here?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
voodoo child21 said:
Patrick
Sorry thought you were talking about the 13-14 setup. I don't believe the '15+ 6 piston calipers fit on S197 spindles and I also heard the pad shape is different and is not yet supported by the race pad manufacturers. Any major race pad manufacturer will custom line backing plates if you furnish them though.

Boy was I wrong here!!!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I saw a post that 15's fit on 14 and below. Someone tried successfully. But only calipers. You need to use 14 GT500 rotors or the like. The offset on 15+ is different.
I know, I was the one who did it. LOL
Steve

Sexy time.

I can't say for certain on the Ford 15" brakes, but the 18x10.5" Enkeis do clear the Brembo 15" Pro Kit. Not by much.
If someone could get a decent radial measurement of the OEM Brembo caliper installed, we might be able to do a comparison vs. the Brembo Pro Kit drawings. I won't put money on it, though.

Anyone get a measurement on the 6-piston Brembo up front? Trying to figure out if my TSW Nurburgring 18x9.5 will clear the 15" kit.

THX. I hit Tim up with an email last night. Planning to buy through him if I can verify fitment.

Basically cut a circle 17.5" in diameter and see if the barrel of the wheel is large enough. I do not have a wheel so these measurements are only fairly accurate. The caliper uses about 17" diameter of wheel space. You need 2" from the wheel mounting face to the spokes of the wheel. If a 17.5" circle doesn't fit trim it until it does. If it's close to or less than 17" the wheel won't likely fit over the brake system. The minimum I would go is 17.125" and that is an educated guess based on measurements. Tapered Barrel's will most likely not work unless you have 17+" of room over a 4-6" area inside the wheel. And yes this is a stolen drawing modified in Paint. The leading and trailing edge of the caliper is the spot to be concerned with, the bridge is only about 16.375 diameter.
DJZC5a3.jpg9GbHQFS.jpg

*Starting 1" in from face of Caliper(1” off the wheel mounting flange going towards the spokes of the wheel), traveling 4" inboard the minimum dimension is 17". Starting 1/2" in from face of Caliper Caliper(1/2” off the wheel mounting flange going towards the spokes of the wheel)traveling inward 5", the minimum dimension is 16-3/8" These are Minimums! Add 3-5mm additional for clearance at a minimum for clearance in the barrel of the wheel. Certain wheels are manufactured with tapered barrels which will not clear the caliper across the full width of the caliper.

Last edited:
Starting to pull together the lists of upgrades for the winter. On the list is the brakes. Trying to get an update on the inexpensive (steal Ford stock parts) upgrade options.

Current set-up:
- Calipers: 2012 Ford Mustang GT Brembo 4 piston fronts and stock rear
- Pads: Front Pagid RSL-1 (or Hawk DTC-60), Rear Hawk DTC-60
- Rotors: EBC 3GD Series Dimpled and Slotted Sport Rotor or Centric depending on budget
- Wheel & Tires: SVE drift wheels 19 x 9.5, Pilot Super Sport 255/40-ZR19
- Fluid: Motul RBF 600 dot 4
- Cooling: Boss 302 lower fascia with blowfish cooling duct set-up

The braking capability with this set-up has worked and with 20+ HDPE days the brakes have held up; besides rebuilding the seals a couple times due to the boots breaking down and a rebuilt rear caliper. This pad set-up is working better on pad life and a little gentler on rotors, but pad life is a still a challenge, would like to have a little more braking capability in the set-up and will go to wider tires with next set - what are people running width wise, non-staggered with the 9.5" wheel? I don't see going to a R-compound slicks anytime soon. The goal would be to only need to calipers and lines, keeping the current master cylinder, front hubs, wheels and maintain ABS/ESC capable at an decent price.

From reading thru the forum, there seems to be a lot of economical approaches from the GT-500 set-up front and rear or the S550 front set-up. Here is how I see it from the forum notes, but please comment on what is the best upgrade with the goal of a streetable, robust track car and if I am missing something from below.

GT-500 6 piston front and rear set-up:
- Front
- - Pros: Bigger pad than 4 piston, clears current wheels, straight bolt in and steel brake hoses with bracket available
-- Cons: Pad more costly and availability more limited than 4 piston, heavier caliper and rotor
- Rear:
-- Pros: Bolt in set-up, uses current calipers
-- Cons: Some notes of noise/grabbing backing up. Is this still a concern?
-- Question: Adapter kit for caliper or new GT-500 plate, which is better? I will be changing rear diff fluid anyway.

Gt-550 front
- Front:
-- Pros: Huge pad bigger than 4 piston or GT 500 6 piston, wider availability of pads, straight bolt-in and hose kits available
-- Cons: Clearance issue with most wheels, SVE's would likely need spacers and extended studs, heavier, some concerns over ABS/ESC system/master cylinder
-- Questions:
--- Does the master cylinder need to be increased or changed?
--- Any issues with ABS/ESC system?
--- What are most people running in the rear for a set-up?
--- What is the overall opinion of the set-up now that there is some time using it?

For the tires on a 9.5” wide wheel try Nitto NT01’s.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
what are people running width wise, non-staggered with the 9.5" wheel?
For street and track with 18x9.5" wheels, 255/45. Street only, 265/40.

Track and the street driving to get there and back, plus any extra street driving depending on how lazy/ambitious I get . . . 18x11" wheels (currently fitted with 285/35 tires that actually measure about 300 when you include the stretch).

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors