The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Good morning Watkins Glen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Update, driver out of hospital and back at track.
This was a big hit, the door bars were stamped into the door panel and the rocker almost cut in half.

3376321725869117713.jpg

20240622_092932.jpg

Last edited:
So for those scoring at home...
The Kohr Mustang has been the fastest Mustang all season so far. The finishes have sucked in GS due to many issues but this is what we're dealing with now.
This little tire we're running is very susceptible to failure at low pressures and max camber, both of which the Mustang needs to go fast. So in essence, by telling us we have to run less camber to make the tire survive, you've introduced another BoP to the car. Rules say 3.5, tire blows up at 3.2, so I guess you run 2.9, and drive slow. I really don't know how to react to this, but I can't keep air in the tires when they are shredding.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
So for those scoring at home...
The Kohr Mustang has been the fastest Mustang all season so far. The finishes have sucked in GS due to many issues but this is what we're dealing with now.
This little tire we're running is very susceptible to failure at low pressures and max camber, both of which the Mustang needs to go fast. So in essence, by telling us we have to run less camber to make the tire survive, you've introduced another BoP to the car. Rules say 3.5, tire blows up at 3.2, so I guess you run 2.9, and drive slow. I realky don't know how to react to this, but I can't keep air in the tires when they are shredding.
So the powers to be figure out a new tire size to run ?
It seems that what they mandate is not working so why keep the small tire ?

So the powers to be figure out a new tire size to run ?

So according the Michelin, Ford wanted this tire to clear some structure, Michelin demurred, but then came up with this S9M+ tire, which is the same compound as the old ( and rear tire) but the construction is different, supposedly more robust. It's also the front tire on the Astons and a couple of others, they also had cold tire, low pressure failures ( ours was NOT a pressure issue, it failed 21 laps in). So Michelin has been cutting into the tires, sending them back to France, checking mfg batches.. etc. So I don't know where it will end up. Logic dictates that if we stay with this tire, and they cut camber, they need to give us something in the BoP, but rarely does logic dictate rules changes.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
So according the Michelin, Ford wanted this tire to clear some structure, Michelin demurred, but then came up with this S9M+ tire, which is the same compound as the old ( and rear tire) but the construction is different, supposedly more robust. It's also the front tire on the Astons and a couple of others, they also had cold tire, low pressure failures ( ours was NOT a pressure issue, it failed 21 laps in). So Michelin has been cutting into the tires, sending them back to France, checking mfg batches.. etc. So I don't know where it will end up. Logic dictates that if we stay with this tire, and they cut camber, they need to give us something in the BoP, but rarely does logic dictate rules changes.
Yes, BoP means “balance” so that means the teeter totter balances in the middle & one has no unfair advantage over the other ? Or maybe this BoP is more politically involved than it should be ??

IMG_1101.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin

There's so many restrictions, camber, fuel flow in the pits, fuel capacity, restrictor plates, weight... etc
etc etc etc !!!!
like you need a dedicated rule dude just to see if you can unload the car - sic

TMO Supporting Vendors