The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Help ! coil over \ wheel issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone, got the car togther ( finally ) and when i went to raise the rear axle up I heard a thunk. Its the coils bouncing off the wheel lip. I have a complete kenny brown system in the car. k-link and all.
So the wheels are apex 18*11. The coilover setup I bought from Kenny Brown are the KB Strange coil overs. So my old coils were 85mm diameter, the Kenny brown ones are slightly larger, hard to get my caliper on them under the car but 90 maybe 95mm. Probably 90. So the only way I see fixing this problem is to get 1/4 inch spacer. But since I am running the 11 inch wheel I do not think I have the fender clearance for any spacer at all. I do have the longer wheel studs. Anye one have s197 and apex 11 wide ec-7 wheels with a spacer? Track day Thursday, friends shop for corner balance alignment wed. Im out of time I think to sort anything out other than spacers and maybe rolling fenders is needed.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
If you're just looking to test fitment / clearance, you should be able to stack some flat washers to act as shims until you get the spacing you need, then measure the total washer height to figure out what spacer to order.

Hi everyone, got the car togther ( finally ) and when i went to raise the rear axle up I heard a thunk. Its the coils bouncing off the wheel lip. I have a complete kenny brown system in the car. k-link and all.
So the wheels are apex 18*11. The coilover setup I bought from Kenny Brown are the KB Strange coil overs. So my old coils were 85mm diameter, the Kenny brown ones are slightly larger, hard to get my caliper on them under the car but 90 maybe 95mm. Probably 90. So the only way I see fixing this problem is to get 1/4 inch spacer. But since I am running the 11 inch wheel I do not think I have the fender clearance for any spacer at all. I do have the longer wheel studs. Anye one have s197 and apex ec-7 wheels with a spacer? Track day Thursday, friends shop for corner balance alignment wed. Im out of time I think to sort anything out other than spacers and maybe rolling fenders is needed.
I run a 1/4inch spacer in the back with no problems. My ride height is not too low, about 3 to 4 fingers between the tire and finder.

Installed a 5/16 spacer and I think I have enough clearance now in the rear. I marked the tires with some paint to see if I get any rubbing.
For my alignment to day I had to add a 3mm spacer to the one inch one on the front as the coil was touching the rubber. I just picked up some camber bolts and will de-camber the spindle a little to get me clearance and get back to one spacer. I thought 18*11 wheels fit these cars :(. It certainly would hav helped if the KB coil overs where the same diameter as the set I took off the car, the old ones where slightly less in diameter. I might see about buying a 1 1/8 spacer if there is such a thing. 1 1/4 would probably be too much without rolling fenders. But I might have to do that anyways.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
18x11 wheels do fit these cars, IF you follow the guidance from Apex and your coil over supplier regarding coil overs, spacing etc..
I run 18x11 and 19x11 apex wheels on my Boss with a single 1” hub-centric spacer up front. The rears, Cortex/JRIs required removal of the helper springs to fit The 18’s the 19” have plenty of room.

They can actually poke quite a bit and not hit anything on the fender. I run 18x12 with MCS and have about 4mm between the strut and tire on the inside. They poke out a bit, but a 18x11 with the same backspace would tuck right in. I have run every tire from the current 295 RE71RS to 335 Hoosiers on these wheels and not one has ever touched the fender.

DaveW

No clearance issues at test and tune. Small track.

The car ran pig rich, not sure why so we were limited to 4000rpm. Fuel pressure at rail was 30psi. But we ran as fast as a 06 vette. Will be on the dyno in about a week to tune and sort the fuel issue out. Motor is in failsafe mode, I think thats from the auto to manual conversion and I hope the tuner can get rid of the lights on the dash.

My problem to sort out was even after really trying to get heat into the brakes to bed them ( even tried dragging them ) we topped out at 200f front and 300f rear. I started to suspect the laser temp gun was faulty but all the other cars were 600-700f fronts. Now I didnt have my front bumper on and the fenders have a lot of vents in them. Also corner entry speed was a bit less because of motor issue, but I cant fathom why brake temps were so low. I dont think there was enough air flowing around them to keep them that cool. 16 inch girodisc rotors, 6 piston calipers, race pads. Rear rotors upgraded by a inch with adapter bracket for the stock caliper and race pads, on slicks. Its not like the brakes were not working ( brake pressure ) as it was easy to lock them up and the stopping power was incredible.

My memory sucks balls. The aftermarket temp guage showed 120f and the factory guage showed engine temp fine. I forgot until I got home that I didnt install the aftermarket sensor as there was no obvious place to install that on the 3 valve that I can find.

TMO Supporting Vendors