The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TR3160 Stuck to Engine Block, help needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego, CA
So I pulled the motor on my GT350 to start the Cross Plane Plank conversion and the problem I’m having is that I cannot separate the transmission from the engine block. The dowels in the engine block are separated, but I can’t get separating from the input shaft. Any ideas would help right about now

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
You may be able to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel. Assuming you can get a wrench on the pressure plate bolts.
Also try putting the trans in gear and rotating the output shaft back and forth. This may free up what ever damage was done to the input shaft and the clutch disc.
when all else fails, pry the trans back evenly. A few wedges on each side to put pressure on the input shaft while rocking the trans.
good luck.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You may need to tilt the engine down at the rear slightly, apply pry bars carefully, "wiggle" it side to side a bit to dislodge it. Make sure the shifter isn't bound up in the chassis hole, etc. Just a little persuasion...

Maybe a few blows with a rubber mallet around the perimeter of the bellhousing and block interface that you can reach, if you can get any swing range in there. Nothing too crazy, but those mating surfaces are well-machined. Maybe they got fused together a little?

so is it the bellhousing that's glued itself to the block? or can you move it back a bit and it's the input shaft that has welded itself to the clutch disc or pilot bearing?

TMO Supporting Vendors