The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HELP! - Tranny fluid won't go in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trying to re-fill my tranny w/ Redline MTL.
As I began to fill, some fluid starting running back out.
Tranny in neutral.
Can barely get the hose (3/8" inside; 7/16 outside) much past the threads before I hit something.
Using a Cooltech Lube Mover (similar to a pump up weed sprayer, but with a 7/16" clear vinyl hose on it). And I'm slowly pumping the fluid.
I'm sure I've got the Fill Plug--passenger side, uses the same 8mm hex tool as the drain plug did, aft part of tranny, sort of above drain plug.
Do I need a smaller hose to fit in there?
I've read Neutral is required to get internal parts out of the way, but I'm hitting something pretty quick.
And I'm holding the hose "downhill" into the tranny, but some fluid flows out as I'm slowly moving fluid.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

I would shift through the gears and see if it opens up.

drano38

Wayne
Well, I might need to turn in my man-card :-[
Not sure I was really in neutral on the first attempt.
Tried it one more time, got the hose in further, and all went well.
Using a bent cable tie as a dip stick, I'm 3/8" below the hole, so I'll call it good.
Now to wash Redline MTL out of my hair. . .
Thanks for the fast replies.

Ya, I had to jiggle the hose in and turn the end down a bit to find enough clearance for it to go in a bit.

I've also ruined a nice jacket to gear oil :mad:

drano38

Wayne
Fluid washed out of hair fairly well, although I could have left it in and done a spiked style but I don't think the boss would have seen the humor if I showed up for work that way.
Next year I'll try a 1/4" hose to make it easier to get the hose far enough in, and it will also help control the flow.
Everything is tightened up.
Now if my Setrab 934 cooler would show up so I can get that installed . . .

FWIW I use a longer clear tube with a vintage Coleman funnel on it. It takes longer, but I can stand and pour oil into the trans with it. Works for the diff too. Hint: always put your oil bottles in the sun as far in advance as possible!

074_zps7aaafd98.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Lube Mover from Cool Tech is a really great tool. I just ordered a second one so I have one loaded with gear lube and one with trans lube. $29 each and they work like a charm.
It's funny ut I haven't had an issue with filling the MT-82s with it in gear.
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Fat Boss said:
As long as you got some nice stinky gear oil in your hair we won't make you turn in the card. ;D

But I thought getting it in on the first try was what mattered? ;)

Changing your own gear fluids...proof enough. 8)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel