The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 JDMac's Autocross GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This was my first Solo National Tour. I am fortunate and have many experienced and helpful people in my local region, and they gave me a lot of good pointers before and during the event. The main things that they emphasized was to prioritize the course walks and go into your runs with a plan. With only 3 runs per course, there wasn't much room for error.

Saturday was HOT! We were dealing with 90°F temps with +60% humidity. I had walked the course 3 times the night before and 2 times that morning. It was the most serious that I've taken course walks, but I had a detailed plan in my head that I was confident in. My very first run was okay. There were a few spots where the line that I wanted to take wasn't what others were taking. I entered into one turn and about ate it because of all the gravel being pushed onto my line. Luckily I was able to stop for a downed cone and got a rerun. On my next run I took what I thought would be the more common driving line and there was significantly less gravel and it worked. Once I had the line figured out I increased my aggression and got a good time on my last run. I really liked this course once I figured it out. CAM-C class was extremely close all day. There was less than a half second split between 1st and 5th place. I ended up finishing the day with a 0.064 second lead. It was anybody's game.

Sunday was wet! The rain started as we were driving to grid and the workers were making their way out on course. From grid, it looked like there was standing water on the course and that it would be pretty slick. I was too cautious on my first run and lost the lead by a lot. Everybody came back grid and had the same feeling that there was way more grip than expected. My second run I drove with much more aggression. The front of the car was doing okay but I was fighting the rear in the turns. I noticed that the course seemed dry(ish) in spots where we were accelerating or decelerating, but that the turns were still slick. I softened the rear shocks a few clicks and wanted to focus on taking a good line on my last run. I feel like I executed that plan pretty well except for the end of the slalom. I carried more speed through the first and middle part of the slalom than I did before and the car got upset when I had to scrub speed at the end. I was able to catch it without losing much time and was able to put down a decent time.

Like I said earlier, CAM-C was a very close class all weekend, but I pulled off the victory by 0.053 seconds! I have raced with most of the people in my class before and they whooped me. I feel like my driving has improved a lot, and I'm extremely happy about this victory! Time to see if Hawk will actually pay for their contingency.
1719330404911.png
IMG_7967.JPGIMG_7959.JPG

Last edited:
I love TireRack but I personally do not recommend heat cycling 200 TWR tires because in most cases the cars are driven on the street some as well as to the track. Getting that initial molding release gunk off is great , but the extra bucks can be saved with many folks. If going directly to the autocross course it might be helpful , but this is one item I have not found very beneficial with street tires over the years, imho.
This was the first set that I opted for heat cycling. I would agree with you that it can be done by driving, but I liked the idea of it being a calculated heat cycle with a proper cool-down time. It worked out well for me because I waited longer to get these tires than expected. I didn't get a good chance to drive the car much before the first time that it saw "racing" conditions. The first time that these saw significant temperatures was the Friday at 2pm when I had to run the next morning at 8am. I believe that they call for 24 hours of cool-down after the first heat cycle, so that wouldn't have worked out. I had instant grip and they felt the same during the Test and Tune as they did during the first competition runs.

Will I do it again? I'm not sure, but it worked well this time.

TMO Supporting Vendors