The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lightweight brake upgrade options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
Looking for a brake upgrade to my base Ecoboost brakes, for use on track in time attack. The obvious route is to put the GT brakes on, as they are bolt-on. However, I'd be curious to know what the weight increase of that would be. And if there are any alternative options that would be more lightweight.

Anyone have experience with this set? https://www.steeda.com/baer-ss4-deep-stage-drag-race-s550-mustang-4261428FR

A drag racing brake system would not be up to the duty cycle a serious time attack car would be requesting from it. Your best bet would be moving to a system that uses 2-piece rotors with an aluminum center hat if you wanted to reduce unsprung weight without sacrificing capability. You could also seek unsprung weight reduction using lighter wheels.

I don't want to run a 19" wheel though.
Apex wheels, as well as some other aftermarket wheels, allow the use of the PP 6-piston Brembo brake in an 18" diameter.
(at the very bottom or ctrl+f "brembo")
You may also save a good chunk of weight depending on which wheel you get.

I'd love to run Brembo's but it seems like they only make 6-pistons for Mustangs? I don't want to run a 19" wheel though.
I did a ninja edit there, sorry for the confusion. I'm just not sold on Wildwood or Baer for road course applications. Most of the road race HPDE guys on here are running 18 inch wheels because the race take off tires are so plentiful, especially the old IMSA stuff. So you should be able to find a decent 18inch brake setup. Our Gt4 car runs 18inch wheels and I think the new version will as well, so they are out there.

Apex wheels, as well as some other aftermarket wheels, allow the use of the PP 6-piston Brembo brake in an 18" diameter.
(at the very bottom or ctrl+f "brembo")
You may also save a good chunk of weight depending on which wheel you get.

thank you, the "flow form" is a pretty decent deal for what you get, it isn't as robust as a race wheel (even though some guys are using them) but for 90% of us, they work great.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Colorado Springs
thank you, the "flow form" is a pretty decent deal for what you get, it isn't as robust as a race wheel (even though some guys are using them) but for 90% of us, they work great.
I'll get one of their forged sets eventually. Would have got a flow form set from them but they were out of stock for what I wanted.
So you should be able to find a decent 18inch brake setup
Yes, that's why I'm here haha. Tell me where these decent 18" brake setups are at!

Anything you go to that would work, would also mean you'd have to change out wheels. It's hit and miss, what about the Ford Performance Pack brakes?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
California
My plans are AP racing front brakes and keeping the performance pack single piston rears with 2 piece rotors. This setup will fit under the majority of 18" wheels and it reduces almost 40 pounds total over the performance pack setup. I'm not sure how that would translate to a base ecoboost brake setup as far as weight goes.

My plans are AP racing front brakes and keeping the performance pack single piston rears with 2 piece rotors. This setup will fit under the majority of 18" wheels and it reduces almost 40 pounds total over the performance pack setup. I'm not sure how that would translate to a base ecoboost brake setup as far as weight goes.
One of the issues with the PP brakes is that they won't fit under most 18 in wheels. I forgot about AP. The Alcon is another,but I'm a Brembo guy.

But you still have this..

Screenshot_20230817_214058_DuckDuckGo.jpg

And this..

Wheel Fitment Template Download (PDF): 355x32mm / 380x32mm

Screenshot_20230817_214251_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20230817_214317_Samsung Notes.jpgScreenshot_20230817_214353_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:
I know that a lot of the S197 guys are mounting S550 GT Performance Pack calipers on their cars, should be possible to utilize the S197 4 piston Brembo's on an S550 probably and that would also allow you to run 18's.

While the GT350 6 piston Brembo's won't clear an 18" wheel, the regular performance pack 6 Piston Brembo's will clear certain 18" wheels. They will obviously weigh more than the stock little ecoboost brakes, but the tradeoff in braking is probably a necessary evil. Here's a list of wheels that will clear the PP 6 pistons.

MRR FS01
HRE FF15
TE37
Apex EC-7
Forgestar CF5

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you want to blow some cash, the Brembo Pro Kits will be both larger and lighter than OEM fitments. The 380mm setup with an XB105 caliper will fit inside an APEX 18" wheel with plenty of room to spare. The 14" setup may fit some 17" wheels (not sure--haven't done the homework). Your wallet will also be significantly lighter, but you won't ever have to worry about your brake performance.

Like mavisky said the 4 piston 14" brembos might be an option . They are heavier than the OEM calipers and rotors. It's going to be a give and take. Guys have run the 4s on GTs on the track with some good luck with the right pads, cooling, fluid upgrade and lines. You have less weight and only really need them for a hot lap or 2 with time attack so might work . When I did my car I was going to go that route but didn't want to do the work twice, sell the 4 s and future upgrade in the future so went straight to the 6 piston. There's good and bad with 6 pistons. The good - they work great period. The bad is cost - pads, wheels, tires and maybe spacers. The 4 piston consumables will be much cheaper than the 6. There's an entire thread here on the 6 piston upgrade if you decide that option.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors