The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
IMG_2348.jpeg

S197 Michael Conatore’s 2013 Track Pack Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

2013 base GT with track pack and Recaros. Grabber Blue with 32,500 miles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What tires and wheels are you running on your Grabber Blue Beast?
I got some American Racing 10" wide 19" wheels that weigh about 23# each (AR941 Mach Five in graphite silver). I put Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 275/35-19s on and am pretty happy with them. I have 8 or 9 cycles and about 50 highway miles on them and they are working great. I also put Red Line 700 brake fluid and Cobalt XR2 (front) and XR4 (rear) pads on, along with J&M stainless steel brake hoses. I added Maximum Motorsports MM5CC-6 caster camber plates and have about -2.5 degrees.

Pedal feel and braking action are outstanding! I've been road racing actively since 1998 and these are the most aggressive brakes I have ever felt in a street car, about like my Porsche Turbo's (steel) brakes and really haul the car down nicely! I will need to add ducting, which I will get to.

Hate the shifter on the T82 transmission. Lots of struggle, especially with the 4-5 upshift. I've had the MGW shifter recommended, but my friend Hank at Advanced Auto Fabrication is considering making a Mustang shifter. He built my last race car, a BMW Spec E46, and his shifter was outstanding. He will also be making some high quality brake ducts, so I may just wait and see what he comes up with. My car will be one of his "mules".

May go for 1" lowering springs and rebush with Delryn over the winter.

Save you buddy's time as there is no way he could match the intense years and hours George Ciamillo has put into the Mustang , Corvette, Camaro shift kits. With around 10, State of the Art CNC machines, his shifters are used by Shelby American and there are many MGW shifters in Ford Engineer's cars ------ MGW is not the best, it is the absolute Gold Standard! I may seem biased, but then I have know George for 25 years and worked with him and his Company when he was making short throw shifters for Vipers. He is a Legend to many of us because he is so particular he often remakes a superb unit just because he got an idea to make it even little better.

Next time around on your tires consider an increase to at least 285s , though I would recommend a 295 width, as these darn cars are a bit heavy and need more rubber. You will get plenty of comments on this, but the person to listen to the most is Blacksheep 1, the " Racing Tire Guru Extraordinaire!"

Great looking car and we are all glad to have you here!

Notchy shifting has been the biggest complaint people have had with the MT-82 transmission. The MGW shifter is part of the combination of popular fixes, the other components being clutch and gearbox fluid.

The go-to clutch for track work is the Exedy Hyper-Single, though if the car is a daily driver in traffic some find it a bit grabby on engagement. The Maximum Motorsports clutch stop is recommended to prevent over-extension of the slave cylinder. Pay attention to setup of the slave cylinder, shimming if needed.

There are differing opinions on fluid, and I believe even Ford has waffled on the spec and additive use over several TSBs. Forum vendor Optimum Performance Mustang (@OPMustang Tim ) sells a fill kit using BG Syncro Shift II and optional MGC additive. I've seen others recommend Redline MTL or Motul Gear 300. I think some of the Ford TSBs recommend using their DCT fluid (or maybe that's just for the later "D4" version MT-82), and then Redline MTLV and Motul Multi-DCTF are alternatives. Some of it depends on what gearbox temp you experience the problem.

Some have reported good results after using carbon fiber syncros while rebuilding their gearbox. Other items often looked at are the clutch return spring (Steeda or none), using a seperate reservoir for the clutch master,instead of the factory combined brake/clutch reservoir, and reducing gearbox temps with either a "kitty litter scoop" as fitted to the Boss LS or a full pump & cooler loop for heavy track use.

Of course, there are always those who'll say the only way to fix the MT-82 is to replace it with a Tremec.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel