The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

More awesome news out of DC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The problem with government is always mission creep. I posted on here a while back about the EPA are pushing for separating production cars from racing cars. In other words, do like the Europeans race cars can't be created out of production cars. This brilliant bit of reasoning was based on " new found authority within the clean air act" which was passed around 1970.
Basically, you have some faceless bureaucrat pushing a green agenda within the EPA, feathering his/ her own bed

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
This brilliant bit of reasoning was based on " new found authority within the clean air act" which was passed around 1970.
That type of bureaucratic extension could see a major brushback depending on how SCOTUS rules on two cases this session, affecting the so-called "Chevron doctrine" wherein courts defer to federal agencies on how widely an agency can interpret a law when crafting regulations.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
The problem with government is always mission creep. I posted on here a while back about the EPA are pushing for separating production cars from racing cars. In other words, do like the Europeans race cars can't be created out of production cars. This brilliant bit of reasoning was based on " new found authority within the clean air act" which was passed around 1970.
Basically, you have some faceless bureaucrat pushing a green agenda within the EPA, feathering his/ her own bed
I worked at the DOT in my state. In the 90's everything was pretty cool, people doing their jobs and management that knew the business. Then politics started to creep in, every new commissioner with their new agenda. Reshuffle the deck chairs, sell some deck chairs, junk some deck chairs, buy some more deck chairs, idiots that had no idea what we did telling us how we should be doing our jobs. CYA training, no understanding of inflation. An open position is an opportunity to "save money" (actually steal money for another dept) No thought of who picks up the slack when there isn't a butt to put in the seat of a plow truck.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This Forum is such a great place because it operates like we all do when we are sitting around chatting with friends. Hard to accomplish on most Forums as folks forget about simple common courtesy and respect that is present when you are with your buddies. We never completely agree, even with our spouses or family, but discussing things helps all of us grow. Blacksheep 1 and I don't agree on everything but I appreciate him posting items about SEMA and other items that could affect all of us. XR7 brought up an interesting point about his State's DOT and it immediately made me think of the extreme frustration I had with Corporate America, realizing it must be an American Institution that every time someone gets promoted you end up going through an entire shakeup till the newcomer put their stamp on things - and that stamp can be counter productive.The overreach with EPA , pointed out by many, to control race car builds, caused many of us to send notes to our Congressmen/Congresswomen and Senators. I got responses back from all in my State that they were not endorsing that view. Yet, l do try and assess the good done over the years by the EPA, since anyone who travelled alot was aware of, especially back in the 70s and 80s. Ask someone in the Northeast about Acid Rain, or chat with those in Pittsburgh or LA ( or those who traveled there ) about air quality and you appreciate the way things are today. I came back from LA sick every time I was there in the 70s and 80s. But, we, as humans either take things to the extreme or we do nothing and it is often up to a bit of common sense to figure things out. That is something lacking more and more with instant news and a serious lack of checking things out. We did not have this occur as much when we sat down and talked with each other , so all of us should be thankful for this Site since it operates on a much different level --- I know I appreciate folks here quite alot and I like calling you friends. Just like my friends near my home, I don't agree with everyone or everything ( though I find we agree more than disagree ) and it shows the mature nature of TMO . After all we are all here mainly for one reason and that is to talk about Mustangs and cars, a passionate interest we all share!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
Ditto, Bill!

Even though I have not yet put myself and my car on the track ( soon to rectify that ) I come here to get a break from some of the other forums. I appreciate the maturity and the wealth and depth of real knowledge that exists here.

Agreeing on every subject would be boring. You know, like preaching to the choir. Fortunately, whenever there are differences here they usually are handled with grace and respect for one another. Even though I have but little to offer here I have never felt like I have been looked down upon and certainly have not been disrespected.

Appreciate you all. I look forward to learning more and joining in on the fun very soon.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
This Forum is such a great place because it operates like we all do when we are sitting around chatting with friends. Hard to accomplish on most Forums as folks forget about simple common courtesy and respect that is present when you are with your buddies. We never completely agree, even with our spouses or family, but discussing things helps all of us grow. Blacksheep 1 and I don't agree on everything but I appreciate him posting items about SEMA and other items that could affect all of us. XR7 brought up an interesting point about his State's DOT and it immediately made me think of the extreme frustration I had with Corporate America, realizing it must be an American Institution that every time someone gets promoted you end up going through an entire shakeup till the newcomer put their stamp on things - and that stamp can be counter productive.The overreach with EPA , pointed out by many, to control race car builds, caused many of us to send notes to our Congressmen/Congresswomen and Senators. I got responses back from all in my State that they were not endorsing that view. Yet, l do try and assess the good done over the years by the EPA, since anyone who travelled alot was aware of, especially back in the 70s and 80s. Ask someone in the Northeast about Acid Rain, or chat with those in Pittsburgh or LA ( or those who traveled there ) about air quality and you appreciate the way things are today. I came back from LA sick every time I was there in the 70s and 80s. But, we, as humans either take things to the extreme or we do nothing and it is often up to a bit of common sense to figure things out. That is something lacking more and more with instant news and a serious lack of checking things out. We did not have this occur as much when we sat down and talked with each other , so all of us should be thankful for this Site since it operates on a much different level --- I know I appreciate folks here quite alot and I like calling you friends. Just like my friends near my home, I don't agree with everyone or everything ( though I find we agree more than disagree ) and it shows the mature nature of TMO . After all we are all here mainly for one reason and that is to talk about Mustangs and cars, a passionate interest we all share!!
another well written piece straight from the heart !! Well done Bill.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
As a kid my grandfather used to take me along when he sat around with his cronies and had coffee some mornings. I was so pleased he wanted me to go along, but I did get a bit frightened because all they discuss was how the sky was falling. As a teenager I hung around with my best friend and we would occasionally hand out with his dad and his friends. They also thought the current generation and the state of the World/Government was coming to an end.

Coming to an end is a bit harsh. I'm not even sure what that means. I do think we're approaching a fundamental change in the nation.

World financial cycles tend to run on time scales of about 100-150 years. No one you've ever known could tell you much about one, because we only ever see the one we're in. America started it's financial upswing with its expansion to the West a little before 1900. After WW1, we were a primary world player. After WW2, we were the only world player. Our true financial peak potential was probably the day before we set foot in Korea. The real peak probably passed with Kennedy. The progression from gold standard to fiat currency to excessive borrowing to monetizing debt to rampant inflation to currency collapse is a dependable one, but it is impressive how far one can kick the can down the road. Rome didn't fall in a day, either.

The deal with this particular scenario isn't that it *could* happen, but that *it will*. The only question is time.

This is all a long way from what started this conversation, but it's the kind of thing that comes to mind when someone tells me to not worry my pretty little head. I don't obsess about things I can't change, but I'm aware of which way the wind is blowing. It's not like I'm reading astrology maps or tarot cards. I'm just looking at what I see are unfortunate inevitabilities based on current choices and historical trends. There they are. I could be wrong. I have been many, many times before. At this point, I probably couldn't get to sleep without help from Damocles.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
In person, I swear I am not this depressing. I'm generally a pretty happy-go-lucky type, but this thread is bring out the cynic. If it makes things better, I don't believe there's really a damned thing that can be done to stop whatever will happen, so we might as well sit back and enjoy the ride.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
On a lighter note I was scanning the channels a minute ago to see what was on and landed briefly on the Formula E race in Tokyo. My 8 year old grandson walked in the room and asked what are those cars, to which I replied , Those are electric Formula cars racing in Japan." He quickly responded , " That is just completely weird ," and then he walked off.
See a future consumer will be happy to buy an ICE vehicle and with this kind of 8 year sentiments it gives you faith in the next generation , ha,ha!

PS - he may be a bit biased with his grandpa's loud Mustangs and Vipers over the years, and his dad's EVO 9 has 3 mufflers on it to keep it under the SCCA decibel limits!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
I think a lot of people under-estimate how much of the entertainment comes from the non-visual parts of the show. The noise, the smell and the shake in the ground are all part of it. The best shows (Top Fuel and WoO, maybe?) do a good job of offending as many senses as possible.

33 years of government employment here. Pretty sure they'll use the proven stick and the stick approach. Do it our way or we'll stick the bat in your arse. Gas vehicles will be heavily taxed, the old economic terrorism approach. No one will be able to afford them. God help us all. Marxism is on the march.

TMO Supporting Vendors