The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need more hp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So my class rules are hp/weight and things like tire size and treadware come into play. With 40 treadware tires I can run 290hp. With 60 treadware tires I can run 320hp. It's a stock motor that's been retuned. So kook headers will help but that's not a big enough hp boost. The track I was just on I come out of many corners 3000-3500 rpm and I get pulled at that rpm badly by the cars I run against. I can always detune a motor for less hp to keep it below the max I can run. Now I don't want to dump thousands more into the car. What's going to get me the biggest bang for the buck to get more hp/torque mid rpm?
Running 18by11 wheels and full Kenny brown suspension fyi.

So my class rules are hp/weight and things like tire size and treadware come into play. With 40 treadware tires I can run 290hp. With 60 treadware tires I can run 320hp. It's a stock motor that's been retuned. So kook headers will help but that's not a big enough hp boost. The track I was just on I come out of many corners 3000-3500 rpm and I get pulled at that rpm badly by the cars I run against. I can always detune a motor for less hp to keep it below the max I can run. Now I don't want to dump thousands more into the car. What's going to get me the biggest bang for the buck to get more hp/torque mid rpm?
Running 18by11 wheels and full Kenny brown suspension fyi.
If its the track you usually run at, can you re gear the diff to get you into the right rev range so you don't get pulled on. Or change wheel diameter for a similar effect.

I actually changed from 330 auto to 373 manual before this race. So I have done the track with both gear ratios. It doesnt make as much difference as I would have thought. I think Im a little faster ( not enough seat time in car or track to know a consistent lap time ). But with my rules I CAN add horsepower and 10% is significant. I have a 944 ls1 track car Im dying to get out but for now I want to develop the mustang . I have spent enough that spending a bunch more isnt appealing though. My options are headers, cams, intake and trottle body. I dont think I can get the HP I want with only one of those. Heads are probably out of budget. And Im not looking to gain maximum PEAK hp, Im looking for midrange power more than anything.

That's a tough one, but I have seen guys add some custom grind cams coupled with aggressive tuning pick up substantial gains on NA 3 valves.

I suggest Todd Warren Cams and tuning by Lito (Manuel Pizo)

I think between the 2 you'd be probably exceeding your threshold.

Cams and associated parts (springs, followers, etc) you are going to be roughly $1200-$1300 and tuning is about $400 and you'll need an SCT tuner, also about $400

I have hp tuners already.
I think Im going with long tube headers and
xpipe. Ditch the k&n cold air and get a better one that flows more and the delete plates for the intake. Shop cost for cam replacement I was quoted 10.5 hours and that's prob 130 (cdn ) a hour. Don't feel like Im up to do cams, but I can handle headers. Friend runs a dyno shop so retuning is covered.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel