The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Beginner HPDE/Time Trial Seats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just from personal experiences with the stock seats and auto crossing, I used to get thrown around a lot and had to use my left knee and elbow to brace up against the interior to the point of bruising. After just installing just the Schroth harnesses, it completely solved that issue for me and resulted in significantly less body fatigue (as well as a jump in concentration level). It was a great solution for me since it was 90% street car with a handful of autocross outings per year. Just make sure, like with any harness, to fit them correctly. Lap belt and buckle stay "low and tight across the hips" like the flight attendant tells you. If you tighten down the shoulder straps and the buckle rises, it's not tight enough.
Totally agree. And tighten lap belts first. Leave driver's door partly open, cinch down the right side lap belt first, then crank down the left side (easy to reach and leverage with door open), then shoulder belts. This order keeps the lap belt nice and low and tight.

Be careful with "containment" seats if you're serious about autocrossing. The restriction in being able to look over your shoulder can really hurt you in some courses.

If the seats are really worn, consider bringing them to an auto upholstery shop to get the foam replaced. They may even be able to tweak the foam (more and/or stiffer) to give you more support in places. Could be the best bang for your buck.

If it were me, I'd do the harness and refoamed or new seat, and see how it feels at that point. Take a look at the Schroth Quick-Fit harness (Pro if using a HANS).

That's a good idea @Dave_W. Having slightly disassembled 2012 Boss Recaro seats and my stock 2011 GT seats (to swap the passenger occupant sensor and clear an airbag light), the underlying frames are quite similar except the Recaros have metal winglets welded to the sides to support the side bolsters. Doesn't look like it would be too hard to have those added to a stock frame and then reupholster from there. Would look and be stock but better, and no messing with air bag fault codes etc.

I've heard some debate as to whether this is necessary but personally I prefer to use a HANS device with the Schroth 4 point harness system, even though the Schroth has the anti-submarine tear away feature like a 3 point belt system.

Be careful with "containment" seats if you're serious about autocrossing. The restriction in being able to look over your shoulder can really hurt you in some courses.

If the seats are really worn, consider bringing them to an auto upholstery shop to get the foam replaced. They may even be able to tweak the foam (more and/or stiffer) to give you more support in places. Could be the best bang for your buck.

If it were me, I'd do the harness and refoamed or new seat, and see how it feels at that point. Take a look at the Schroth Quick-Fit harness (Pro if using a HANS).
I was considering this, but again less interested in autocross and more interested in track...if that makes a difference. I am using autox to practice and learn more car control (if I go far great).

Will check into this! I am bouncing options around and Schroth is my second choice (Pro because Stand21 Hans is in the budget as well).

Anyone have thougts/opinions on the Corbeau Forza seats? I sat in them today and liked them just as much as the Sparco EVO XLs. Are they FIA rated like Sparcos?
Also noticed Corbeau FX1 seats that look similar on their website.

Perhaps there is a reason the FIA Sparco EVO XL is twice as pricey?

From the Q&A section for the Forza -
A: The Forza is not an FIA approved seat. We currently only have FIA approved models available via our sister company in the UK. To get pricing and availability on those models, please email us at [email protected].
FX1 web page Q&A says those are also not FIA approved.

If you look at corbeau-seats.com (the UK sister), the FIA seats are about $650 and up.

From the Q&A section for the Forza -
A: The Forza is not an FIA approved seat. We currently only have FIA approved models available via our sister company in the UK. To get pricing and availability on those models, please email us at [email protected].
FX1 web page Q&A says those are also not FIA approved.

If you look at corbeau-seats.com (the UK sister), the FIA seats are about $650 and up.
Sparco it is!

Sparco it is!
Sparco’s US warehouse and offices are in Irvine with a small showroom on the front of the building. They have all their seat models on display to try out. It’s not too often you’ll find Sparco on sale and will pay MSRP just about anywhere, which is what you would pay at their showroom. Same thing with fire suits - I tried them on in their fitting rooms and they have an in-house tailor that makes alterations, included with the MSRP price. May be worth taking a day trip down there to try all their options.

Sparco’s US warehouse and offices are in Irvine with a small showroom on the front of the building. They have all their seat models on display to try out. It’s not too often you’ll find Sparco on sale and will pay MSRP just about anywhere, which is what you would pay at their showroom. Same thing with fire suits - I tried them on in their fitting rooms and they have an in-house tailor that makes alterations, included with the MSRP price. May be worth taking a day trip down there to try all their options.
I will check it out, thank you!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel