The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NT01 or ToyoRR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
I need to get my fix and hit track this weekend. I have 10.5 wheels. Which tire would be better, NT01 305/35 or Toyo RR 295/30?
This are only options I can get before weekend.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
I thought 295/30 are maybe narrow and short. Wheels currently have worn out R888 305/35 which are about same. That is what previous owner was running. It will be my first time running this car.
I was to get 305/35 RR but can't get it in time.

Probably about like flipping a coin. I've used both, and would say the R888R's will feel better brand new, but the NT-01's will tend to hold up better. I'd also say that the overall diameter is important when it comes to "gearing" and how the track speeds impact your particular car. BUT, if this is the first time you've run the car, get the cheapest one! You probably won't notice much difference! ;)

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
Not R888R, the RR slicks. Either RR slicks or NT01 is choice.
Not first time in car, just in this one.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The Toyo RRs are a Spec tire for many classes in NASA and they are going to be faster than most 200 TWR tires, but they will not hang with a Hoosier at all. The plus, since they are a Spec Tire, is they are built to last longer and hopefully stay fairly consistent throughout a race period. The 295s are super reasonable at present and I know a talented driver on this Forum who thought they were great for gearing on his GT 350 ( and he was fast on them). For those who race W2W the RRs are not a first choice in most cases unless one is in a Spec Class where everyone runs them since they are required. The Nittos , I have not mentioned because I personally agree with many who have nicknamed them Schittoez!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
I have run Hoosiers before. I would use them for 1 session only to get better lap time. They don't last long grip wise. I would practice on something else.
Since I am not familiar with boss I was more concerned about sizing since previous owner had 305/35. 295/30 is like 1.5" smaller in diameter.
Will find out Monday, got RR coming. It is track day so I am not looking for ultimate grip, just something that works pretty good on this car.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would not worry about depth and in fact that might be part of the squirm I think the NT-01s have. Keep in mind it is pretty common for serious racers to shave the tires and the RRs have a solid reputation for longevity, folks who have driven on Hoosiers or even the recently departed BFG gforce R1Ss will find they are not as responsive , do not telegraph their slip angles quite as well and will take a bit longer to get used to their track characteristics. The positives since they are essentially a Spec Tire is they are reasonably priced ( for track tires ), they are easy to rotate, they last and will go right down to the cords. I have seen tons of drivers in American Iron drive these crazy things till there was nothing left, so cost effective is their main attribute.

Many drivers find them a bit harder to learn/find their absolute limit, but I think they are a complete step above the NT01 which is quite slow.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I used both tires in the exact sizes you're looking at on my S197 last year. The RR runs a bit larger than NT01, so they were essentially the same width mounted on 11" wheels. I found the RR to be about .75 seconds quicker around Thunderhill East, same day, 1.5 hours between sessions. I hope you have some longer gears in the car, they are short.

305/35-18 NT01
50441881093_c63c7305c4_b.jpg
50442752217_b397894c83_b.jpg
50442758122_3be99c1c9a_b.jpg

295/30-18 RR
50441904448_ef6be12765_b.jpg
50442597926_da706fe4d3_b.jpg
50442777062_8124b994c4_b.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
I used both tires in the exact sizes you're looking at on my S197 last year. The RR runs a bit larger than NT01, so they were essentially the same width mounted on 11" wheels. I found the RR to be about .75 seconds quicker around Thunderhill East, same day, 1.5 hours between sessions. I hope you have some longer gears in the car, they are short.
Think gearing is whatever boss comes with stock. We are running T-hill 5 mile, will see how it works on Monday. Only suppose to be around 65F so hopefully not too cold for tires.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
We see :). I did not drive on R888 so no comparison for me.
Compared to stock 19's this are 2" shorter.

IMG_4797.jpeg

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Toyo RR and NT01 are a very similar compound, I'd even go as far to say that they're almost the same tire, almost. Very, very similar behaviors. They're great HPDE tires because they aren't fast enough to really put down killer lap times, but they're also not fast enough to overheat and get greasy, and assuming there's no traffic and you are consistent, you'll pretty much put down the same lap all throughout the session. You'll also put down the same lap times from your very first heat cycle, pretty much all the way to your last. The Toyo RR is a touch faster, and on my 3600# s550, I'd get about 16 sessions out of them, whereas the NT01 went to something like 20-22, and you'll hear stories about people pulling out a PB on like their 24th session with the cords showing, and yeah, that's kinda true, they're consistent(ly slow).

Good call with the 295/30, the 305/35 is almost too tall. If you haven't been on RR before, look at the little triangle grooves on the shoulder, you want those with the wear line going through them, I see them generally growing +8 from cold in the first session.

I’m just an HPDE’er so you guys got me wanting to pick up a set of these RR’s, especially considering the price of the 295’s.

Is the sidewall any stiffer on the RR’s than the NT01’s?

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I’m just an HPDE’er so you guys got me wanting to pick up a set of these RR’s, especially considering the price of the 295’s.

Is the sidewall any stiffer on the RR’s than the NT01’s?
Not that I remember, they got a touch stickier and softer. Only real difference is that you could potentially drive the NT01 on the road, nowhere for water or something to really go with the RR.

1649487203457.png1649487223660.png

Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas (TTHA) and its group companies manufacture, import, sell and distribute Toyo and Nitto brand tires in the U.S. and Canada

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel