The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pull engine W/ transmission or W/O transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
I'm finally getting around to pulling my stock motor in the 2011 and since I have not done this before on this generation mustang, I am wondering if it is better to keep the transmission attached and have everything come out together or detach the engine and transmission and remove only the engine? It does have the MM K-member, and an MGW shifter if either has a bearing on the easiest and/or best way to remove it. BTW, I have an engine hoist and no lift if that matters. Thanks.

I think it's going to come down to a matter of personal preference, but.... that being said...

I'm working w/the same scenario...no lift, just an engine hoist. I've unfortunately had to pull the motor out of my 2015 wayyyy too many times. What I've come down to is pulling the front bumper, crash bar, radiator, oil cooler, and radiator core support (after jacking car up). Just pull the motor (bellhousing bolts, motor mounts, starter, little ground wire on firewall behind drivers cylinder head, strut tower bars and intake manifold). Doing this you don't have to fart w/bleeding the clutch or possibly blowing the slave cylinder. Oh forgot, you gotta drop the catback... I've got longtubes and they come right out w/the motor. Guessing factory cats should too? I've pulled the trans w/the motor before and it's not that much more work...just got to be easier not pulling it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel