The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pushing S550 Mach1 hard on track = burnt fuel pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
I am an experienced road course/HPDE driver and instructor. My previous track car was a 2011 BMW 135i, pushing about 400HP/ft-lbs, used for about 8 years.

Well into my 4th track day with the 2022 Mach1/HP with 12,500Kms/7700 Miles on the odometer, the car stuttered and eventually died. OBD code reader revealed low fuel pressure. Needless to say, I needed to get towed off the track (red flag), and then towed home as this happened on a late Friday afternoon, after dealership business hours. I did not want to let the car sitting outside of dealership, unattended for a whole week-end.

The car had a half tank of fuel when this happened. Ambient temperature was relatively hot, around 29*C ( 85*F).
All fuses and relayed checked out good. OBD codes generated were P00C6, P0087, P008A (Fuel Rail pressure too low/ Low pressure Fuel system, etc).

The Monday after, I used Ford Road Side assistance to get the M1HP towed from home to dealership, where a bad fuel pump was the root cause. Part should arrive within 2-3 biz days.

My verdict is that perhaps the fuel pump lacked cooling due to G forces/starvation, as I was driving the car hard on 100TW sticky tires and Hawk DTC70 race pads.

The 61 liters ( 16 gallons) tank is ridiculously small for this "track-ready" car. I will now carry two Jerry cans to my track days, and never let the tank go below half-way mark.

Any of you track guys experience something like this in the GT's, Bullit's, or Mach1's?

Last edited:
32 track days on my 2017 GT with the original pump. 200tw tires and race pads. I’ve had the engine cut out on longer corners a number of times but I slow down and pit in once it happens. I always try to keep the fuel above half a tank.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the gas gauge lags quite a bit - it will indicate around 3/4 tank after a couple sessions but I can dump 6 gallons and it’s not full. I think the tank is lower than I realize most of the time. I start out with a full tank and bring 18 gallons of E85 with me and I will be nearly empty in 4 20 minute sessions at some of the tracks here in AZ.

32 track days on my 2017 GT with the original pump. 200tw tires and race pads. I’ve had the engine cut out on longer corners a number of times but I slow down and pit in once it happens. I always try to keep the fuel above half a tank.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the gas gauge lags quite a bit - it will indicate around 3/4 tank after a couple sessions but I can dump 6 gallons and it’s not full. I think the tank is lower than I realize most of the time. I start out with a full tank and bring 18 gallons of E85 with me and I will be nearly empty in 4 20 minute sessions at some of the tracks here in AZ.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Been using 100 Treadwear tires (staggered SuperCar 3R's 305/30 and 325/30), but had just installed fresh front Hawk DTC70 and rear DTC60 race pads. The M1/HP was outstanding that day, as I could brake later, and carry more speed than usual, including passing Porsches, one of which was a GT4RS ClubSport.

Sounds like we definitely need to keep the pump immersed in fuel, ie , halfway or above, regardless of what the gauge indicates ...

Last edited:
M1Fan,

Sorry to hear about your fuel pump issue, hopefully that failure wasn't directly related to fuel starvation. There are several threads about this topic here. I was having issues on long left handers with starvation and when it got to the point of needing > 3/4 of a tank to avoid it, I knew I needed to do something. Reference the thread below, it is on the S197 side, but same issue, and a few pages in, you'll see a few of my posts. I've been pleased with the addition of a 2nd pump on the Passenger side feeding the main pump on the Driver side.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/anyone-find-a-fix-for-fuel-sloshing-and-starvation.16346/

I am an experienced road course/HPDE driver and instructor. My previous track car was a 2011 BMW 135i, pushing about 400HP/ft-lbs, used for about 8 years.

Well into my 4th track day with the 2022 Mach1/HP with 12,500Kms/7700 Miles on the odometer, the car stuttered and eventually died. OBD code reader revealed low fuel pressure. Needless to say, I needed to get towed off the track (red flag), and then towed home as this happened on a late Friday, after dealership business hours.

The car had a half tank of fuel when this happened. Ambient temperature was relatively hot, around 29*C ( 85*F).
All fuses and relayed checked out good. OBD codes generated were P00C6, P0087, P008A (Fuel Rail pressure too low/ Low pressure Fuel system, etc).

The monday after, I used Ford RoadSide assistance to get the M1 towed from home to dealership, where a bad fuel pump was the root cause. Part should arrive within 2-3 biz days.

My verdict is that perhaps the fuel pump lacked cooling due to G forces/starvation, as I was driving the car hard on 100TW sticky tires and Hawk DTC70 race pads.

The 61 liters ( 16 gallons) tank is ridiculously small for this "track-ready" car. I will now carry two Jerry cans to my track days, and never let the tank go below half-way mark.

Any of you track guys experience something like this in the GT's, Bullit's, or Mach1's?
Was it the high pressure pump on the cylinder head that failed, or the in-tank “lift” pump? The code for low fuel rail pressure has me wondering if it was the high pressure pump. Either way, fuel starvation in left turns is an issue at half tank and below, but fuel pump failure is not an issue that I’ve heard of and probably just bad luck with your low-mile unit.

Was it the high pressure pump on the cylinder head that failed, or the in-tank “lift” pump? The code for low fuel rail pressure has me wondering if it was the high pressure pump. Either way, fuel starvation in left turns is an issue at half tank and below, but fuel pump failure is not an issue that I’ve heard of and probably just bad luck with your low-mile unit.
That could very well be the case. Will report back once I get my M1HP and service details...

Mustangs for years have fuel starvation with their idiotic saddleback tanks, so most of us, over the years keep the tank pretty full at all times. That said, having experienced fuel starvation too many times to count , I never needed a fuel pump. I would imagine the fuel pump issue is just a isolated case of one failing and I ran my Mach 1 on 100 Treadwear tires and even more aggressive brake pads than you were using and never had a fuel pump issue. Likely just a mechanical breakdown with yours and once a new one is installed you will likely be fine, imho.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel