The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Q&A with EBC Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
We receive a huge number of brake-related questions into our inboxes across our media platforms, so thought we'd answer some of the most commonly-asked for you in this Q&A video! If you have any further questions that we've not covered, please drop them in the comments below

TIME STAMPS:
0:00 Intro
0:09 How often should I change my brake pads?
1:00 Why are my brakes squealing?
1:58 Which brakes do the most amount of work? Front or rear?
2:32 Can brakes work without fluid?
3:05 Why does my brake pedal feel squishy?
3:34 Why do performance brake discs have dimples and grooves?
4:24 Why do people use stainless steel brake lines?
4:59 Why are some discs one-piece and others two-piece?
7:58 What does the DOT in brake fluid mean?
8:34 Outro

Keep up to date on our latest news blogs through our website at this link

Follow our social channels through the below links for regular updates and insightful clips;

YouTube
EBC Brakes YT

Instagram
EBC Brakes - North America
EBC Brakes - UK/EU
EBC Brakes - Racing

Facebook
EBC Brakes - North America
EBC Brakes - UK/EU
EBC Brakes - Racing

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
@EBC Brakes Nice video, but one technical error on the DOT brake fluid ratings. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 brake fluids are based on glycol ether or borate ester compounds. DOT 5 is a silicone-based fluid that is not compatible with ABS systems, cannot be mixed with other types of brake fluids (I believe the entire system needs to be flushed with alcohol first if changing to DOT 5), and it does not absorb water like glycol- and borate-based fluids do. It is typically used in military and extreme cold applications, though some vehicle museums use it because it does not damage paint work.

I'm not sure if DOT 5 is even available in Europe, but it is in the US. So we need to be specific and always distinguish between DOT 5 and 5.1 when talking brake fluid here.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good point Dave_W, as folks often think if DOT4 is good , then DOT 5 must be even better. Drivers should be cautioned to not even use DOT5 in my estimation, since the confusion could lead to someone mixing DOT 5 and 5.1 ( fortunately DOT 5.1 is fairly hard to find ). As Dave_W noted , though , the silicone based DOT5 is just not a good alternative for ABS and other uses, and 95% of Trackrats use a high temp DOT4 for road course and autocross use.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
@EBC Brakes Nice video, but one technical error on the DOT brake fluid ratings. DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 brake fluids are based on glycol ether or borate ester compounds. DOT 5 is a silicone-based fluid that is not compatible with ABS systems, cannot be mixed with other types of brake fluids (I believe the entire system needs to be flushed with alcohol first if changing to DOT 5), and it does not absorb water like glycol- and borate-based fluids do. It is typically used in military and extreme cold applications, though some vehicle museums use it because it does not damage paint work.

I'm not sure if DOT 5 is even available in Europe, but it is in the US. So we need to be specific and always distinguish between DOT 5 and 5.1 when talking brake fluid here.
Very good point, thanks for raising. We offer three varieties of DOT 4 and both DOT5 and DOT5.1, with info regarding each found through our website at this link.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
We used to run dot5 in the old, pre 80s corvettes because they had so many issues with those old calipers corroding internally. Stainless inserts fixed it for the most part.
Yep. My C-3 vettes have run Dot 5. Rust kills those calipers.

TMO Supporting Vendors