The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I need to replace the rear shocks on my Boss, priced out factory replacements from Ford ($600 for both rears). Before I did that, wanted to check to see if there is an upgraded option people was confident in that wouldn’t be a drag strictly shock that I should consider…. Most people I have asked said Viking shocks, but when I think of Viking drag racing comes to my mind only

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
You could check with Viking and see what they offer for your Boss. They sponsor a couple of fast Camaro's that run autocross in my area so I would guess they know something about turning corners.

I ran Koni yellows in the rear with stock boss 302 springs for 2 years and was not all that happy with the ride quality or performance for autocrossing (could not get the rotation I wanted even if they were on full stiff so I ran a bigger rear sway). Pulled them off last weekend and one was blown after less than 10k miles (albeit in NYC). Luckily they have a lifetime warranty and I will be shipping it back for replacement to keep as spares.

I'm currently doing some R&D for Viking with their new rear Berserker series double adjustable shocks for the S197. Put them in on Sunday and have a couple hundred miles on them so far and the ride quality is day and night, with room to make them softer for the street. Haven't run an autocross with them yet, but I have high hopes that they will exceed the Konis in performance/ability to dial in the rear (even with a smaller rear bar).

If you decide to explore the Viking option, give them a call and ask for Jake. He worked with me on the valving for my setup and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any further questions,
-J

TMO Supporting Vendors