The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 rhino5oh's 2018 Shelby GT350 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've started to slowly descend deeper down the rabbit hole of HPDE and tracking my GT350 over the past few years. Since I've now reached the point of no return by cutting up my stock hood, I figured I’d start detailing my journey here 😆

I just installed a GT4 center hood vent this week. Although there was no template for it, it was pretty straightforward since it follows the curves that are already in the hood. Big thanks to @Black Boss for letting me examine his car in person and take pics & measurements to help me get started.

My entire hood is PPF’d and I was really concerned that cutting would fray/melt the PPF and/or vinyl stripes badly. But to my surprise that wasn’t the case and it turned out great and without issue. The masking tape helped a bunch.

I have the side vents as well, but will likely wait till after the holidays to tackle those.

The plan is for all GT4 aero. I also have a GT4 splitter. I will buy the GT4 dive planes from MMR and I’m hoping to buy their GT4-style wing once they re-release it.

IMG_8231.jpeg

IMG_8235.jpeg

IMG_8238.jpeg

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_8259.jpeg

IMG_8267.jpeg

IMG_8269.jpeg

IMG_8275.jpeg

IMG_8277.jpeg

IMG_8264.jpeg

I put the car back under the knife over the past week. I installed some Aerocatch hood latches, GT4 front splitter, and GT4 dive planes. Everything turned out good! Still waiting on some dive plane support rods that should be in today.

Included are some pics of how the GT4 splitter cables attach to the crash bar. I had a really hard time initially trying to find information on how exactly these attached before I got them, but it was very straightforward.

IMG_8679.jpeg

IMG_8674.jpeg

IMG_8682.jpeg

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8707.jpeg

IMG_8710.jpeg

IMG_8728.jpg

rhino5oh, I applaud your ambition and nerve to "operate" on your car to make it better, you should have been a surgeon!!!.....I don't have the balls or will to do anything like that to my Boss.....I just heard a sigh of relief from the garage............My your journey with your baby go well.......................

rhino5oh, I applaud your ambition and nerve to "operate" on your car to make it better, you should have been a surgeon!!!.....I don't have the balls or will to do anything like that to my Boss.....I just heard a sigh of relief from the garage............My your journey with your baby go well.......................
Thanks! The first bit of cutting I did for the hood vent was the hardest to accept. Next, when I did the hood latches, I barely thought twice about it. Just check my measurements a thousand times 😆. It makes it easier to accept when you constantly go to track events and see other people's GT350s that are not stock. Makes it a bit more normal I guess.

Looks amazing. I've got those MMR dive planes sitting there in my cart and waiting to possibly pull the trigger, but concerned about them working with my current setup. Do you have any side angle photos?
Appreciate it! Yep here's some more pictures, let me know if they work for you.

Also, if you're considering the MMR dive planes here was my experience:

- The finish was not the greatest on one of my dive planes. I get that these are essentially "race car parts", but that doesn't mean that quality control needs to be thrown out the window. A car can still look great and be frequently tracked. Also, I've seen real S550 GT4s up close and I know that the real GT4 parts are a little rough around the edges - my real hood vents are far from perfect up close. But coming from an aftermarket company that sells to the public, I was a bit disappointed in the finish. I'll attach some pics of what I consider poor finish on one of the dive planes.

- MMR did not send me the dive plane support spacers, as described in their description on their website. I emailed them about this and to their credit they immediately shipped me spacers which I appreciated. However, they're not really "GT4-style" spacers. They are black instead of bare aluminum and they are comically huge. 1 inch OD. Look nothing like the real GT4 spacers. I went ahead and ordered ones that are more accurate to the real GT4 spacers from McMaster-Carr. Attached a pic of the black MMR one next to one that I ordered myself.

The worst part about all of this is that the finish issues were just brushed off by MMR when I emailed them about it. When I told them I wasn't happy with comically large, not accurate spacers, I didn't even get a response back. I can live with the dive planes, but immediately replacing the one that looks like crap without any questions - instead of brushing it off - is the kind of customer support that would make continue to order from them.

I've been really looking forward to them re-releasing their GT4 wing. After this experience I'm not sure I would order a multi-thousand dollar (I assume) wing from them if it is going to potentially have a poor finish.

I know they are a supporting vendor, but that doesn't make them shielded from any criticism. I'm glad at least someone is producing GT4 style parts. I know first hand that it is essentially pulling teeth to get GT4 parts from some of the race teams. Took me FOREVER to get the hood vents.

IMG_8659.jpg

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8757.jpeg

IMG_8762.jpeg

IMG_8761.jpeg

IMG_8763.jpeg

Appreciate the photos and honest feedback. Hopefully they see this and take efforts to improve their product given they're selling to a retail audience now. APR, Archetype, AJ Hartman, and Verus are all in that $450 - $500 range and I'd expect nothing but exceptional carbon quality from them.

I'd be real tempted to just 3d print a spacer. I can understand a large diameter spacer on something that's delivering more aero load, but that does seem comically large. Looks great on the car though and I'm sure a little epoxy to fill some holes and some 2K clear and you'd be back to pretty good. Something I'd be comfortable doing to a set of dive planes like that, but agree with you on concerns over an entire wing.

Appreciate the photos and honest feedback. Hopefully they see this and take efforts to improve their product given they're selling to a retail audience now. APR, Archetype, AJ Hartman, and Verus are all in that $450 - $500 range and I'd expect nothing but exceptional carbon quality from them.

I'd be real tempted to just 3d print a spacer. I can understand a large diameter spacer on something that's delivering more aero load, but that does seem comically large. Looks great on the car though and I'm sure a little epoxy to fill some holes and some 2K clear and you'd be back to pretty good. Something I'd be comfortable doing to a set of dive planes like that, but agree with you on concerns over an entire wing.
@mavisky I just came across a build thread of a car that has the Verus Engineering wing and realized it was you. I just ordered that wing. How do you like it?

Appreciate it! Yep here's some more pictures, let me know if they work for you.

Also, if you're considering the MMR dive planes here was my experience:

- The finish was not the greatest on one of my dive planes. I get that these are essentially "race car parts", but that doesn't mean that quality control needs to be thrown out the window. A car can still look great and be frequently tracked. Also, I've seen real S550 GT4s up close and I know that the real GT4 parts are a little rough around the edges - my real hood vents are far from perfect up close. But coming from an aftermarket company that sells to the public, I was a bit disappointed in the finish. I'll attach some pics of what I consider poor finish on one of the dive planes.

- MMR did not send me the dive plane support spacers, as described in their description on their website. I emailed them about this and to their credit they immediately shipped me spacers which I appreciated. However, they're not really "GT4-style" spacers. They are black instead of bare aluminum and they are comically huge. 1 inch OD. Look nothing like the real GT4 spacers. I went ahead and ordered ones that are more accurate to the real GT4 spacers from McMaster-Carr. Attached a pic of the black MMR one next to one that I ordered myself.

The worst part about all of this is that the finish issues were just brushed off by MMR when I emailed them about it. When I told them I wasn't happy with comically large, not accurate spacers, I didn't even get a response back. I can live with the dive planes, but immediately replacing the one that looks like crap without any questions - instead of brushing it off - is the kind of customer support that would make continue to order from them.

I've been really looking forward to them re-releasing their GT4 wing. After this experience I'm not sure I would order a multi-thousand dollar (I assume) wing from them if it is going to potentially have a poor finish.

I know they are a supporting vendor, but that doesn't make them shielded from any criticism. I'm glad at least someone is producing GT4 style parts. I know first hand that it is essentially pulling teeth to get GT4 parts from some of the race teams. Took me FOREVER to get the hood vents.

View attachment 93844

View attachment 93845

View attachment 93846

View attachment 93851

View attachment 93853

View attachment 93854

View attachment 93855

View attachment 93856

theres a reason we all give AJ our money here……no one can come close to his products, that are wind tunnel tested, for his price…..my splitter is so much stronger than the archetype one that flexed downwards at high speeds.……and lets not get into the swan wing that imploded on a few people including billy johnson.

@rhino5oh pheonix makes the gt4 hood vents and they are masterpieces. I have them on my car….

car looks awesome

I just got it a month ago and haven't had a chance to really test it out. So far I'm very impressed with the fit and finish.

Glad to hear! Mine is getting delivered this week.

theres a reason we all give AJ our money here……no one can come close to his products, that are wind tunnel tested, for his price…..my splitter is so much stronger than the archetype one that flexed downwards at high speeds.……and lets not get into the swan wing that imploded on a few people including billy johnson.

@rhino5oh pheonix makes the gt4 hood vents and they are masterpieces. I have them on my car….

car looks awesome

Thanks!

Wow I didn’t realize Archetype products had some failures like that! That’s unfortunate, some of their stuff is very expensive too.

And yep - I’ve heard great things about AJ’s products. May try them out one day, but going for the GT4 stuff first!

those phoenix vents do look nice. I’ve never really heard of anyone using them besides you but that’s great to hear they are nice. Would be a good replacement if I ever needed one.

I got the support pedestals installed. McMaster Carr didn’t have ones already threaded in the size I needed, so I had to tap them. But it worked out great.

I eyeballed up the driver side after looking at tons of photos of GT4 cars, and once it looked good enough for me I drilled the dive plane. Then took measurements to match it on the passenger side. I put rubber caps on the ends so it wouldn’t scratch the heck out of the splitter with all the vibrations and movement

IMG_8769.jpeg

IMG_8825.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting ready for the Verus Engineering wing. I gave up looking for a trunk with no holes. They’re few and far between. Plus I’d likely have to get it painted. And it wouldn’t have stripes. So I decided to just go with the factory trunk for now. Maybe a carbon fiber trunk in the future.

Removing the OEM spoiler sucks. Ford attaches this thing like it’s getting launched into orbit. Insanely strong double sided tape. I put a few small dings in the trunk trying to wedge plastic tools under the spoiler to help lift the wing. You can’t really see them unless you’re looking for them though. I also used fishing line and heat gun, but it still sucked!

It cleaned up very nice though. I’ll probably just plug the center holes for now. I know APR makes that carbon fiber cover for the center holes, but it looks so out of place to me. Wish it was thinner.

IMG_8822.jpeg

IMG_8823.jpeg

IMG_8824.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
everything looks great so far!

One thing you may want to consider about the holes if it bothers you that much: Find a body shop you trust to fill/weld in the holes and paint over it. There was somebody in M6G who bought a GT500 non CFTP and had it done. They went with a GT4 wing. The job their person did looks amazing and as though there were never holes in the first place. Just an option. I am also looking for a blank lid so i know the struggle. The stripes you can get from Bemaro or Big Worm Graphix

The APR unit is less noticeable in person, double so on my car with the black stripes, but I've had numerous people talk to me about the new wing for 10-15 minutes before I bring up the APR cover and they finally notice it.

For removing the factory spoiler I use one of those inflatable bags. You can wedge it under and then cut through some of the foam tape as you move along. Wrap the inflatable bag with a microfiber and you're almost risk free.

everything looks great so far!

One thing you may want to consider about the holes if it bothers you that much: Find a body shop you trust to fill/weld in the holes and paint over it. There was somebody in M6G who bought a GT500 non CFTP and had it done. They went with a GT4 wing. The job their person did looks amazing and as though there were never holes in the first place. Just an option. I am also looking for a blank lid so i know the struggle. The stripes you can get from Bemaro or Big Worm Graphix

Thank you! I thought about doing that - and may do so eventually. Good to know that Bemaro and Big Worm make the stripes! I'm familiar with both of them.

The APR unit is less noticeable in person, double so on my car with the black stripes, but I've had numerous people talk to me about the new wing for 10-15 minutes before I bring up the APR cover and they finally notice it.

For removing the factory spoiler I use one of those inflatable bags. You can wedge it under and then cut through some of the foam tape as you move along. Wrap the inflatable bag with a microfiber and you're almost risk free.

I still haven't ruled out the APR cover...That was an excellent idea with the inflatable bag! I wish I thought of that.

TMO Supporting Vendors